RE-Building The House of RagE - AGAIN

I can't wait till taxes come back so i can enlarge my 300gb array..

thou i'll have to get a new card and case.. but thats the price one pays.. hehe :)

Originally posted by Dome
i can remember my first computer that was my own in like the 5th grade or so...i was so stoked cuz it had a whopping 400 megs of space...now i'm at 120 gigs on my pc, plenty for me so far tho, not like you you storage freak ;)

Yep, my first pc I got in sixth grade had a whopping 170mb of hd space. Now i have 280gb in my windows machine, 60gb in my linux machine, and over 1.5 TB burnt on dvd.

Whats the main benefit of RAID 5 over RAID 1, cant you still rebuild the array if you swap out the bad/lost HD?

Raid 1 is designed for 2 drives only, so if you have 2 200 gb drives you really only have 200 gb of usable space because the drives are a mirror of each other.
Raid 5 requires at least 3 drives but you lose only drive's worth of capacity to the data required for redundancy. So the capacity of the array is N-1 (N being the number of drives) so in an 8 drive array you have usable capacity of 7 drives.

Now you'll just have to spend the next couple of months ripping and encoding every piece of media you own.

Originally posted by DJDishwateR
With RAID 5 I wouldn't lose any data at all?!?!?!?

in a RAID5 if you loose one disk, you can replace it, and then rebuild the array using the parity on all the other disks...

so as long as you dont loose more than one hd you dont loose your data

you need at least 3 hd's

and the array will always use the amount of one disk as parity...

so if you have 3x 200gb disks in a raid 5 you have 400gb usable...

if you have 8x 200gb disks in a raid5 you have 1400gb usable :D

DAmn, I need to start saving for the HD's + controller. Anyone know where I can get a RAID 5 controller cheaper than say 70$, newegg and them didnt have much...

for that price you would be better off doing it in software... the cheaper raid 5 controllers do it mostly in software anyway

windows 2000/2003 server and *nix can do raid 5 in software

the power cables for the HDD's look great *drool* ;)
unfortunately you can't buy these 90 degrees molexes anywhere in The Netherlands... sucks living in such a developed country while ya can't even get proper casemodding supplies... *sigh*

Flecom, wanna hook me up with some links? I'm just getting into the wonderful world of freebsd. I have a mobo with RAID 1/0/0+1 on it, damn it.

/me bows at the greatness that is 1.2TB in RAID 5...

but i wanna see some more pics maybe...i doubt or would hope that RagE isnt done with this thing quite yet...if it is at least get us some 'action' shots of it =b

EDIT: cos im a dumass when i first wrote this post =/ =b

Originally posted by mashie
If you actually read it is less likely someone will point and laugh at you :D
yet another high-quality product dished out by the master modder: bitch-slap, powered by mashie. :)

PS-RagE, as far as formatting this thing goes, you can use partition magic (yes, partition magic - it's very fast, too - mostly because it doesn't verify every sector like format does).

how were you thinking of partitioning this, by the way? don't tell me you're thinking of having one [just short of] 1TB partition!

It is formatting right now. 2 partitions - one 20G for OS/apps etc and remainder for data. :cool:

Can't do any further mods right now as the techs are using the workbench. I'd like to see it finished today though. Maybe later this afternoon or this evening.

I can imagine the lights in the room will dim when you spool up all those drives...

Wow, I just thought of how annoying 6 7,200 rpm hdds would be running at the same time. :D

I had a RAID5 capable controller right under my nose and didnt even know it. Go go Abit AT7 MAX2, check this out, hehe.

Link

That thing just happens to be onboard and I was going to revert this board to server use anyways, go me!

c-prop.jpg

e-prop.jpg

NTFS?! dude... i wouldn't trust NTFS with that much data! go with FAT32 (you may have to use partition magic - yes, again - to partition it with)

I wouldn't trust windows at all with that much data ;)

But, if I were to do so, I'd probably choose NTFS too...

FAT32? Heh "My WC P4 IC7max runs Win 95b great!"
(I know FAT32 didn't come til Win98, I'm being fececious)

Seriously, you want NTFS for any large files that get lots of reads and writes (i.e. digital video). I would turn off indexing for that thing though. After a while the library for that will get f'n huge and slow.

Originally posted by codeflux
NTFS?! dude... i wouldn't trust NTFS with that much data! go with FAT32 (you may have to use partition magic - yes, again - to partition it with)

Until I get an explanation on this insanity…I'm just going to give it a WTF.

Originally posted by PS-RagE
Not to mention that in XP Pro FAT32 is not an option ;)
yes, but FAT32X *is* an option - Partition Magic can create that partition for you, and WinXPPro will work with it as if it was FAT32. :)

the problem with NTFS, as i see it is this: it works *wonderfully* while it works; but when it stops working - and believe me, it will - recovering data from it is practically a futile task. FAT32 is much easier to recover from.

we have hunderds of PCs at work in my department, all with NTFS, and one or another gets a corrupted NTFS partition on a very regular basis - no matter what the manufacturer of the PC or the drive. i have had it happen to me the few times i tried using NTFS on my shit. FAT32 on the other hand will chkdsk itself and works just fine after a crash.

I had one NTFS problem. I accidently deleted important files. Downloaded a nice little program, undeleted them. NTFS is a lot more stable and better than FAT32. It actually CHKDSK on my NTFS C:\ drive during startup a few days ago because I screwed up majorly when overclocking. :rolleyes: Windows XP Profressional does support FAT32. It even asks when installing it if you want to create a FAT32 or NTFS partition to install to.

Originally posted by PS-RagE
Not to mention that in XP Pro FAT32 is not an option ;)

actually it is.. you just have to reformat all your drives to FAT32, then install XP Pro again. But I wouldn't recommend it :/

Back