RE-Building The House of RagE - AGAIN

All its doing is sharing its files over the network. XP seems to be doing the job OK

Should load up Mozy Unlimited and back up everything see if they mind =P

Now here is an old thread!

So, once again,18 months later the array is just about full - time for an upgrade.

The drives this time are 1TB WD RE3s

newservr123.jpg

newservr122.jpg

Wow Rage, way to ressurect an ancient thread! Although, it is warranted in this case!

Hey Rage, I'm REALLY glad to see you finally moved away from the "storage baking" stack. Sorry to hear about the array loss though.

Reason I mentioned it back then was I went with removable racks (80mm fan in each enclosure housing 3 drives each) in the server I built the same time you did yours with the tower. I only recently had to RMA one of the drives and had already replaced them with bigger drives. If you're curious on a date, check out the date on my first post, number 289

Dang Rage. I remember when you started the build of the first server (page 1). Except I followed that build on that other forum (Ph... you know).

Can't wait to see the new build finished.

Hey Rage, I'm REALLY glad to see you finally moved away from the "storage baking" stack. Sorry to hear about the array loss though.

Reason I mentioned it back then was I went with removable racks (80mm fan in each enclosure housing 3 drives each) in the server I built the same time you did yours with the tower. I only recently had to RMA one of the drives and had already replaced them with bigger drives. If you're curious on a date, check out the date on my first post, number 289

Yeah, I lost two more after the rebuild but no more problems since. Been about a year now since the last failure. Wonderful enclosure

Dang Rage. I remember when you started the build of the first server (page 1). Except I followed that build on that other forum (Ph... you know).

Can't wait to see the new build finished.

Well, its not going to look much different (gonna be quite a bit heavier though). I don't think its going to take very long either. But since it is a rather large upgrade I thought I'd dig out the thread and update it anyhow.

This is what I was running up against:

newservr125.jpg

So this afternoon I loaded up the empty bays:

newservr124.jpg

newservr126.jpg

Fire it back up and check the second RAID card's BIOS:

newservr127.jpg

newservr128.jpg

Total upgrade time: 25 minutes

It is initializing now.

And its back on line:

newservr129.jpg

newservr130.jpg

newservr131.jpg

That should last a while :cool:

I'm going to shuffle some of the data around tomorrow so I should be able to get a pic or two of all the LEDs lit up

Yeah, I lost two more after the rebuild but no more problems since. Been about a year now since the last failure. Wonderful enclosure

Wonderful? Please... More like a hardware geek's wet dream. :D I still can't help but hate and envy your setup. ;)

That should last a while :cool:

I'm going to shuffle some of the data around tomorrow so I should be able to get a pic or two of all the LEDs lit up

Eww, 2TB limit. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that.

I was disturbed by that at first as well. To "get around" it, I created a folder with nothing but shortcuts so you don't have to search the partitions
You can use Server 2003 or Vista with GPT disks too. If you're dead set on XP for the system, XP-64 bit also supports GPT disks (for data only, you can't boot XP or 2003 from a GPT disk)

Shit! The UPS is overloaded now. It can't handle the load long enough to shut it down even.

Geez, I hope not. I'm already overbudget this year :( With luck the battery just needs replacement

Sure enough, there were three batteries inside itand all were NFG (69%, 23%, 21%). Got them on order should be good-to-go tomorrow.

If they had tested as good, I was just going to add another battery bank.

Back