RDS Farm over IPsec or HTTPS?

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
My title isn't great, but my question is more about IPsec performance. We have a client using a RDS Farm with Connection Broker and Gateway. So the clients are already connecting over port 443 instead of 3389. On top of which, they have IPsec tunnels setup from all the sites to the RDS Farm. Clients are complaining about performance, but when I test, I do not see these performance issues. Only real difference is I am connecting over the Internet without a VPN connection and all the clients are connecting over the VPN connection. Do you think the IPsec tunnels may be impacting performance? Also, would you bother using IPsec if your are already going over HTTPS?

They don't need a Gateway if your doing IPSEC just do a direct connection to the broker.. I would recommend not using it in conjunction with HTTPS gateway.

RD Gateway was meant to be used in situations where setting up a VPN just so remote users could use remote desktop was inconvenient... So unless there is another need for the IPSec tunnels its just another layer of complication.

If every client that is connected via IPSec is experiencing the problem, it would stand to reason the tunnel is the likely cause. IPSec itself doesn't typically add any latency, its the hardware/software implimentation of it that does. Maybe the IPSec endpoint the clients are connecting to might be overloaded?

When you perform any tests, are you connecting via the same WAN interface the clients are using?

RD Gateway was meant to be used in situations where setting up a VPN just so remote users could use remote desktop was inconvenient... So unless there is another need for the IPSec tunnels its just another layer of complication.

If every client that is connected via IPSec is experiencing the problem, it would stand to reason the tunnel is the likely cause. IPSec itself doesn't typically add any latency, its the hardware/software implimentation of it that does. Maybe the IPSec endpoint the clients are connecting to might be overloaded?

When you perform any tests, are you connecting via the same WAN interface the clients are using?

Makes sense. I had a feeling they configured it incorrectly. I'll have to get them to do some testing without the IPsec tunnel.

Back