RDP to IP works but not to name......sometimes

RaxusCraxurFace

Weaksauce
I have 2 remote users who when they try to RDP in the morning are unable to for roughly 30 minutes minutes or so if they are using the name of the machine they are trying to login to. If they keep trying it will eventually work. If they use the IP of the machine they get in right away.

Had them try to flushdns and registerdns to no avail.

I know I could modify the hosts file on their machines and be done with it, but I'd rather track down the issue.

Internal DNS servers. As far as I know nothing in the environment has changed.

this over a vpn? If i took out some of the details i would assume its a vpn issue and not hitting the internal DNS server.

this over a vpn? If i took out some of the details i would assume its a vpn issue and not hitting the internal DNS server.

Yes over a VPN sorry

That's where I was leaning as well. Had Cisco go through our ASA and they didn't see any issue. There's no problem logging into the VPN.

9 times out of 10 guy wasn't logged in (or was going through the login process) and thought he was. Next time do nslookup(if its a windows machine) and see what dns server he hits, i'd put money its not an internal one

9 times out of 10 guy wasn't logged in (or was going through the login process) and thought he was. Next time do nslookup(if its a windows machine) and see what dns server he hits, i'd put money its not an internal one

I'll take a look

thank you!!!!

Yup, they aren't hitting the internal DNS if they can't resolve the host name. A ping to the host name will immediately tell you whether or not they can resolve or not.

Tell us about the RDP environment; is this a load balanced RDP environment? Are the users trying to hit a gateway first?

I'm guessing here, but it sounds like one of the RDP servers in the group doesn't have it's name registered correctly. That would explain the timeout although it doesn't explain why there are only two users impacted by it. Do you have other VPN users? Any that have the same issues? These two users; is it every time?

I agree the PC can't get DNS, but why would it start working after 30 minutes?

1. Improperly configured alternate DNS servers is an easy possibility
  2. Not having a alternate DNS configured at all
  3. Funky load balancing
  4. If this traffic is going over the VPN, why not follow the traffic on your ASA to see where the flow is dropping?

Back