RDP software to: Machine on domain from: machine not on said domain.

JPF_

Limp Gawd
Curious if there is a way that I can use laptop to RDP in my office machine which is on a domain.

The laptop is not on the domain. So I am thinking like team-viewer but with out recycling the id/password.

Any ideas?

thanks

Can you VPN into the network? Just use the built in windows one then. That is what I do.

just put your domain in before the user....

if you domain is work.local, put

work.local\username

then your password...

Windows RDP will work just fine.
If you're trying to do this from outside the business network, you'd most likely need to VPN in first.

RDP doesn't care if the computer it's running FROM is on the domain or not.....totally irrelevant. The credentials you use to log into the host (your office) will...domain\username

How you get there...depends on if your company has any remote access policies. Old ways...VPN, port forwarding. Newer ways....more neutral web based services that don't care about firewalls, IPs, I actually use Windows Live MESH...the remote proxy in that is sweet, dual monitors work well, no worry about port forwarding or VPN or whatever.

I was just wondering if there was a way to not use the vpn (we do have vpn client) and go straight into my office machine with out the laptop being on the domain.

We don't use windows rdp, unless we need to work on the server. Normally, damware, vnc, or team-viewer, depending on the user we are rdp'ing into.

And windows rdp is laggy for us, even when the server is 14 feet away from me.

You will need to set a static ip and forward port 3389 to your desktop.

How is RDP laggy for you? You must be doing it wrong.

if you normally use team-viewer, just use teamviewer?

"unless we need to work on the server" and you're asking these questions?

lol where do you work?

14 feet, do you realize that distance really isn't an issue. Your network sounds like it's really screwed up or your Server is over utilized if RDP is laggy for you.

I can't think of any other "free" remote tool other than RDP that does not create additional overhead in a Windows environment.

Wow you guys are just beating the shit out of the noobie...

I was just wondering if there was a way to not use the vpn (we do have vpn client) and go straight into my office machine with out the laptop being on the domain.

We don't use windows rdp, unless we need to work on the server. Normally, damware, vnc, or team-viewer, depending on the user we are rdp'ing into.

And windows rdp is laggy for us, even when the server is 14 feet away from me.

As mentioned above ...Windows Live MESH.

if you normally use team-viewer, just use teamviewer?

"unless we need to work on the server" and you're asking these questions?

lol where do you work?

How can I use team viewer if it asks for the user id and password and generates a new one after x amount of time.

Also, why would you laugh at my statement. Because I work in IT means I know the fucking world of IT? :tard:

To add to the other douches who seem to want to beat on me for asking what according to them is an easy answer but choose not to provide one:

I did not make this infrastructure here where I work. Its pure shit, all day every day. Its a shitty 500k down 900k up speed. It has outages monthly, 00.80% of the budget goes to IT.

So you laugh at me, or beat on me because I was given a shitty work environment?

Asked a simple question, get beat on. You guys are awesome!

:rolleyes:

@YeOldeStonecat, I will try it out. Thank you.

With teamviewer you can create an account and add computers to it. Set the permissions appropriately and you should get reconnected each time without an issue.

Back