RDP Session from Outside Network

StevenCV

n00b
I have a server running Windows Server 2008 Standard R2.

I have activated one Per User Remote Desktop CAL on this server, and added a user into the RDP group.

My server has an IP address of 192....., which I am aware is a private address.

When I use a laptop to connect remotely, it allows me to do so using that IP address as long as I am on the same network as it.

Obviously, this does not work once you are on a different network.

How do I set this up so that I can access remotely through any internet connection?

Extra note. I have set up RD Gateway on the server, as I found out (through googling this problem) that I need to do that.

However, I don't know what I need to do on the client to get it to find where the server is, or find the server's network.

Use a vpn or thirdparty remote service like logmein or teamviewer. I would not want my servers rdp open to the world.

If you choose to have your server open with RDP access, you would also need to open the default port 3389 in your router's firewall and have it forward that traffic to your internal server's IP address.

Extra note. I have set up RD Gateway on the server, as I found out (through googling this problem) that I need to do that..

Do you mean TSGateway?

Straight up RDP....uses TCP port 3389.
2008r2 remote desktop is secure...actually RDP got secure since XP sp2. Just have a good Admin password..and user account password that is allowed it.

For even extra security, you have a role of Remote Desktop Server called TSGateway...which runs over port 443...you do not need 3389 exposed. Needs an SSL Cert, and you have a different more detailed way of configuring the RDP client to log into TSGateway with NTLM. It's very secure...proxies to the terminal server or whatever other workstations you allow it to on the LAN...so it's a proxy for multiple RDP clients to go anywhere you allow on the LAN...do end users desktops, you can use for your servers, or to the remote desktop server (what used to be called terminal server).

You need to allow traffic as stated through the firewall and then connect to the PUBLIC IP address you have it assigned to. Using the local address will not work unless you are connected via a VPN.

Back