RDP in Windows XP

VeeDubbs

Limp Gawd
Can you have simultaneous RDP connections to a Windows XP machine? Or is XP limited to one RDP connection?

licensed for 1
There was a trick pre-sp2..or maybe it was pre-sp1, where you could replace some ts<something>.dll file, and XP would allow multiple concurrent remote sessions. It was some .dll file from pre-production versions of XP..I guess originally it has that ability but just before going Gold or something they removed it and went to just 1.

licensed for 1
There was a trick pre-sp2..or maybe it was pre-sp1, where you could replace some ts<something>.dll file, and XP would allow multiple concurrent remote sessions. It was some .dll file from pre-production versions of XP..I guess originally it has that ability but just before going Gold or something they removed it and went to just 1.

You used a unregistered version of the terminal services DLL. But now your stuck to one connection.

A little off topic, but I've multi-RDP'd ( rig A rdp'd into B, rdp'd into C). I wonder how far you could take it. There usually aren't enough free computers at once to fool around.

licensed for 1

Thanks YeOldeStonecat!

long story short, you need a windows server OS with terminal services to allow >1 simultaneous RDP connections.

but to do a double take on my own thoughts, i dont quite remember if win2k workstation allowed >1 ....been too long since i messed with it

I guess on top of that. Same question for RDP in Windows 2003 or 2008. Is it one? And could I get more licenses to allow more?

I guess on top of that. Same question for RDP in Windows 2003 or 2008. Is it one? And could I get more licenses to allow more?

I believe it's three sessions in the Server versions. Two regular and one console.

I believe it's three sessions in the Server versions. Two regular and one console.

Possibly a stupid question, but, is it possible to get more concurrent connections? Can I buy a license or anything?

Thanks for all the info guys!

A little off topic, but I've multi-RDP'd ( rig A rdp'd into B, rdp'd into C). I wonder how far you could take it. There usually aren't enough free computers at once to fool around.

cascade RDP theoretically has no limit....since each new rdp session initiated within the newest remote desktop is connecting to another presumably new standalone client/server.

Cascading RDP just gets tricky....gotta pay attention to window sizes so you can manipulate individual windows.

I know I've done 3x cascades a few times (or combinations of that combined with VNC, and GTM...that's where it gets fun.

Back