RDP from PC to OSX

valis1

Limp Gawd
Is it possible to RDP from a Windows machine to OSX?

If I am unable to use RDP to connect from a Windows machine to OSX. How would it be possible to change, force, the screen resolution connecting via VNC? My Windows LCD monitor is 1920x1200 and the mac laptop max resolution is 1440x900; though, I would like to force VNC to display at 1920x1200 or any other resolution above 1440x900.

No RDP Server in OSX (it is a Windows protocol). You need to use things like VNC, Logmein, Teamviewer, etc.

Hmm, thought there was a RDP server out there for OSX... perhaps I'm just thinking of the client.

Still... requesting an answer as whether or not it's possible to force a non-standard resolution using VNC client side.

there haven been lots of attempts to compile the xRDP for the OSX but i don't think anyoen has been successful yet..

that is the route you'd want to head down to get RDP working into the mac.. i use xrdp on my linux boxes to rdp into them every day..

Thanks, I'll give these a shot. I've used the chrome extension, but it isn't any different than using VNC and unable to force a non-standard resolution to 1600x1200.

hmm yeah sorry about not answering the part about configuring vnc custom resolutions but it's actually going to be a convoluted process to do it with OSX' built-in vnc server

you'd need to create a separate user (vncuser, for example) so that when you connect to the server you're connecting to a virtual screen instead of your user's screen

then in order to set the virtual screen size you'll probably have to use something like setgetscreenres and/or switchresX

sorry I can't give you more details as I use CoRD to RDP *into* my desktop *from* my macbook but never try to go the other way. you might have some better luck googling those things I mentioned if you weren't aware of them already

there might even be a way to set the vnc server resolution if you dig around in /etc and locate the configuration files but again I'm not sure where they'd be

you'd be looking for somewhere to put an argument like this:
VNCSERVERS="3:vncuser"
VNCSERVERARGS[3]="-geometry 1550x1150"

Is it possible to RDP from a Windows machine to OSX?

If I am unable to use RDP to connect from a Windows machine to OSX. How would it be possible to change, force, the screen resolution connecting via VNC? My Windows LCD monitor is 1920x1200 and the mac laptop max resolution is 1440x900; though, I would like to force VNC to display at 1920x1200 or any other resolution above 1440x900.
Stupid question but have you tried telling your VNC application to force it?

Most VNC programs have command line/config parameters for forcing the resolution.

I've only ever used this on VMwares so I'm not sure if it's the hardware limitation that is preventing you from doing it.

OSX built-in VNC server uses the resolution of the screen that's attached to the computer. There isn't currently a config file that allows a custom setting.

That's what switchresX will do, though, and that's where I would start if I was trying to do this.

then in order to set the virtual screen size you'll probably have to use something like setgetscreenres and/or switchresX

+1

SwitchresX is exactly what I need. Thanks!

I haven't tried the app from Coderebel yet, but will give a try. I'm curious if their overlay app will span multiple displays.

Back