RDC suddenly doesn't work, can TWC block ports?

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
So I moved to a new apartment and just had my internet service transferred, no new modem or anything, all the same hardware. Now for whatever reason, RDC doesn't want to connect from my work computer to my home desktop. Worked fine before, no settings have changed. If i ping the IP, it responds fine, so I'm sorta clueless as to why my RDC is broken. Any ideas?

are you sure your ip didn't change? if it did your gonna have to change your firewall too. you use dyndns?

From the desktop you want to connect to remorely go to Canyouseeme.org and check to see if the port is still open. Also if you moved most likely your external IP changed.

I'm gonna bet on the IP change, but it could also be that your work tightened down on outgoing firewall rules, you may want to test from a friends house or a different connection once you've verified the IP address.

Good point on work tightening down ports.

The IP did change but I have DynDNS dynamic IP updater installed so it should have propagated over.

Edit: Just checked DynDNS logs, it propagated over to the new IP.:confused: Sigh more troubleshooting when I get home later....

$5 says the router just flaked. Reboot and move on... :p

Can TWC block ports? Yes. Would they block RDP? Probably not, that's fairly harmless.

AFAIK there are no TWC port blocks that would affect this. They have at times blocked certain ports (during Blaster/Nachi for instance) but only in the cases of viruses.

Are you on windows 7? Could it be that it detected the new ip, thought it was a new network, and kicked it into another security area that has an active firewall?

Are you sure your IP is the same? Check your port forwarding to see if something got messed up.

also, from a security standpoint, once you get everything working, you should NOT use the default remote desktop/vnc ports...make one up..choose something random...

/just saying

Time Warner doesn't block ports

Actually they do, and it depends on the market. In my state, TWC blocks several ports on the residential connections, such as outgoing SMB/NETBIOS ports, Outgoing DHCP, Incoming DNS, Incoming SMTP, etc. On business connections (dynamic or static) in my state, I don't believe any ports are filtered with the exception of DHCP and probably Outgoing SMB/NETBIOS (so you don't affect other customers on the same node as you).

To be honest, if you are running RDP on the default port accessible to the public internet, you are asking for trouble. I'd install a VPN instead, or at the very least change the port that RDP listens on. You'd be surprised how many RDP port scans my home router gets.

To be honest, if you are running RDP on the default port accessible to the public internet, you are asking for trouble. I'd install a VPN instead, or at the very least change the port that RDP listens on. You'd be surprised how many RDP port scans my home router gets.

exactly my point. I'm glad i brought it up! hahaahha

Actually they do, and it depends on the market. In my state, TWC blocks several ports on the residential connections, such as outgoing SMB/NETBIOS ports, Outgoing DHCP, Incoming DNS, Incoming SMTP, etc. On business connections (dynamic or static) in my state, I don't believe any ports are filtered with the exception of DHCP and probably Outgoing SMB/NETBIOS (so you don't affect other customers on the same node as you).

leet

I probably forgot I will have to look at a CMTS and check...I guess I was making the assumption everyone uses NAT and it doesn't really matter.

Back