RDC and win2k server

if i were to set up a win2k server can i get to it through remote desktop connection? i know i can't get to a 2000 workstation, but i think you can do it with a server.. i am just checking...

so yes or no?

thanks

Yes. In win2k server its called terminal services, remote administration mode.
In win2k its actually called Remote desktop services (i think..)

If the goal is just to have access to your desktop, you could do it with VNC (free) or PcAnywhere like programs. Both have encryption capable pieces

Just make sure terminal services are enabled on the 2k Server. No 2K workstation equivalent as far as I know but doesn't sound like you need that anyway. The RD client is native to Xp but you can install it on 2k pro as well.

As Darthkim stated and to eleaborate more.

when you remote desktop to a win2k server. You are NOT connecting to the console. You are connecting to a new "virtual" session. To connect to the console in Win2k you NEED either VNC, PCanywhere, PCduo etc. Win2k3 you CAN connect to a console via RDP.

Ok, re-read what your saying. you can use the RDP client with a Win2k server running terminal services. May log out whoever is logged on though. I only remote in using RD on one Win2K server. Everything else is 2K3.

ktwebb said:
Ok, re-read what your saying. you can use the RDP client with a Win2k server running terminal services. May log out whoever is logged on though. I only remote in using RD on one Win2K server. Everything else is 2K3.

How Remote Admin mode works with Win2K Server Terminal Services:

You are limited to 2 remote users and a user on the local console connected simultaneously. All remote users must have administrative privileges to the system they are connecting to. The console is considered a separate login with no way to interrupt, control or disconnect it via RDP.

To summarize: Max 2 remote users, MUST HAVE local admin privs. 1 local user on console, no access or control over console via RDP.

ok.. thanks for clarifying that for me.. i am just thinking of setting up a win2k server in my house and putting it in a closet in my basement.. and i know that i can use any number of vnc programs, but i might as well use rdc if it is built in..

Back