razor gaming headset - gimme your opinions

Khaydarin

2[H]4U
My older brother wants to buy a gaming headset. He's been eye-balling these:
http://www.razerzone.com/p-93-razer-barracuda-hp-1-51-channel-gaming-headphones.aspx

I told him that he should get a better set of headphones and a portable (separate) mic, but I haven't been hunting for headphones recently. His price range is about 125 bucks.

Is that headset just fine? Should he get another set of headphones instead? I believe he might have a mic at home, though I'm not sure. What about a different (better) headset?

Thanks. =)

yeah, get a better set of headphones and a portable mic. The zalman mic is pretty good and costs about $10.

Get the zalman mic if your able to find a set of cans with thick enough wires. I grabbed a CA from Newegg and it works great even though it likes to pickup just about everything within 5 or so feet.

Zalman mic here: http://www.xoxide.com/zmmic1.html

And I recommend the Audio Technica ATH-ad700 because it has a large sound stage. I can tell where shots are coming from in CS without all that 5.1 nonsense. I also have glasses, and I could wear these all day. While not gaming, they're good for music. I got mine from Amazon for about 110$.

i have had that headset. comfortable, good sense of direction. falls apart in your hands, sound like junk. sounds even worse than other 5.1 headsets (which are generally lousy to begin with)
to be fair - sounds coming from the sides sound ok, but sounds coming from the front and rear sound like 99 cent headphones. its that bad. stay far away

Just get a proper 2 channel pair of headphones. The Razers aren't that great. I use a set of Plantronics Audio .370s, which have a noise canceling mic and sound fantastic for 40 bucks. However, you have to amplify them to get full lows.

I have the audio technica, zalman mic, and dac and can honestly say the razers have better placement in games. I use the audio technicas outside of games and the razers in with my ht - omega striker.

If you don't like the ATHs, get some Beyer DT770s...options are plentiful. No reason to fall back on "gaming" headphones.

I have the Razers. They work well for games but outside of that, they dont have much going for them. Doing a basic comparison between the dt770s and the Razers shows how weak the Razers are with music.

If you insist on a 'gamin' headset, look at something in the $50 range from logitech or plantronics. If he plans on listening to any amount of music, a pair of stereo headphones and a desk mic are a much better option.

For the price, they are indeed a gimmick. Do what Crazyjeeper said and find a decent 2 channel. With the audio processing that most sound cards can do these days, you won't lose that much of the positioning.

As I said in another thread. go for the Sennheiser PC-350's next to the extremely expensive Beyerdynamics set of cans they are the best you can get in a headset, not so much headphones, but headset. Also they cost about 120$ last I looked. i got a pair, paired with a HT Omega Striker, my only complaint of the two is the need for a Hi Fi Amp, but it's plenty loud enough without it honestly, unless you like going def :)

Thanks for all the input! I ended up recommending the Audio Technica ATH-ad700 set from Amazon since there's a great sale on them (or was, last time I went to the site) and the Zalman mic that was mentioned.

Thanks for all the input! I ended up recommending the Audio Technica ATH-ad700 set from Amazon since there's a great sale on them (or was, last time I went to the site) and the Zalman mic that was mentioned.
I should get mine tomorrow. 85.00 shipped.

Back