Razer's Mobile Device May Be Ready by the End of the Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan says that he is working on getting their mobile gaming-and-entertainment device ready by the end of 2017: earlier reports insist that it will be some kind of smartphone, being that the company acquired a related outfit (Nextbit) back in January.

"One of the most hotly rumored things about Razer is that we're coming up with a mobile device. And I can say that we are coming up with a mobile device specifically geared toward gamers and entertainment," Min-Liang Tan, CEO and co-founder of Razer, told CNBC's "Managing Asia." "We're hoping to have it come ... by the end of the year, so that's something we're working on," Tan said.

I dont know much about it but I would absolutely entertain buying a Razer smart phone. It all comes down to what it is and what it offers, but I've enjoyed all my razer products. My stealth is amazing, The razer core is badass, and all the peripherals are awesome (My mouse died and replaced it with a red dragon). oh yea, and the razer turret is pretty awesome as well. I used that to play MMOS on the couch

I dont know much about it but I would absolutely entertain buying a Razer smart phone. It all comes down to what it is and what it offers, but I've enjoyed all my razer products. My stealth is amazing, The razer core is badass, and all the peripherals are awesome (My mouse died and replaced it with a red dragon). oh yea, and the razer turret is pretty awesome as well. I used that to play MMOS on the couch

I am hoping it's a Switch competitor. The Smach Z (which I would buy if it seemed liked it would come out) looks like it will never come out so I would love to see a tablet that has a built-in controller like the Switch that runs Windows and can play Steam games. That would be my dream portable gaming device which would be the Smach Z but I think that thing will never release. All the videos they've posted of the device playing games in real-time looks awesome, but for some reason I have a bad feeling about that program. I don't think it'll ever come out as much as i'd like it to.

Reactions: Maxx
like this
If it is a phone, there is a pretty simple way for Razer to differentiate it from other smartphones & make it better for gaming - just make it a bit thicker, and shove in a large battery so you get more hours of game time. Another, slightly more complicated thing they could do is to make sure the SoC cooling is really good; that will give it a real-world performance advantage over phones using the same Snapdragon.

The quality of the razer products I have owned would not make me trust them for a critical device in my life.

A tablet for gaming maybe, a phone definitely not.

If it is a phone is it going to run Android?

Back