Razer Vespula updated version

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
I just picked up my first hard mouse pad. It good at 1000hz polling and 4000 sensitivity but I would only want to use this for fast paced gaming you can really throw your shoulder out. One side is hard the other side is cloth.

I've been using hard mouse pads forever. My first was [H]'s very own Ratpadz. It was a reasonably sized single piece of [H]ard plastic with a textured surface. Over the years, I wore the surface down to a shiny slick one. The thing I liked about it was you could throw that thing in the dishwasher (which I never did) and not warp it. It could handle all sorts of abuse.

Then I moved on to a Razer eXactMat. It was a single piece of aluminum (no coated/impregnated surface) with rubber feet at the corners to keep it from slipping around all over the place (really useful on a glass surface). It was double sided, one side has a fine grain surface while the other was coarse. I preferred the coarse side. Anyway, after using that thing for years, I eventually wore its coarse surface down to a slick one. Probably more slick than the fine grain side. But being aluminum, it was a lot harder on mouse feet than plastic. So the unfortunate side effect was I had to replace a lot of mouse feet. I thought about getting another one, but like the Ratpadz, I wanted to move on and try something different.

So then I got a Razer Scarab. I love this thing. This has been my mouse pad for almost 10 years now. It's a single side low profile hard plastic textured surface with a rubber backside for grip. I have a glass desktop so I appreciate the grip. I love the textured surface of this thing. I'd call it a light to medium textured surface. It's light enough that it won't wear down mouse feet very fast. And unlike everything I've used before, the surface hasn't worn down to smooth. Razer even gives you a carrying case for the pad. Nice. My only complaint would be that I wish the Scarab was a little larger. Sadly, Razer has discontinued it.

The Vespula looks like it would win over the hand rest crowd. Also if you're transitioning from cloth to hard surface, it looks like a great way to try them both out or get the best of both worlds depending on your mood. Hopefully you'll get some mileage out of it.

Back