Razer Phone

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
Razer is expected to be unveiling their new gaming and entertainment centric phone on Nov. 1. I'm going to take a wild guess that it'll look very similar to the Pixel 2 XL with front facing stereo, and probably the same internal hardware too, but thicker with a 3.5mm jack (to hook up to Razer's gaming headphones). And possibly some kind of magnetic contact dock for gaming controllers. (What would amaze me is if Razer uses the same docking system as Essential and will be capable with Essential's accessories such as the 360 camera.) What are your guesses and expectations?

What do you think the name will be? My guess is Razer Edge Robin...

P.S. In case you didn't know, Razer bought Nextbit, and they will finally unveil a phone for the first time since the acquisition. The Nextbit Robin was actually a very well done Android phone. It did things differently.

Great, another phone that'll be dead on arrival.

NEXT!!! :D

Pretty much the same 2017 flagship specs except with a whooping 8 GB RAM.

I'm going to take a wild guess that the battery will also be huge.

razer-phone-specs-phoneradar.png

razer-phone-leak-2017-10-31-02.jpg

Newest leak of phone and specs. Dual ffs! Huge battery! But wtf is super-voice and does any carrier actually support it? Or did Razer make a iMessage/FaceTime like app?

In other words, 120 Hz on a smartphone is a waste of power, got it. :D

You're better off disabling all the damned animations period and not wasting power or GPU time to any degree whatsoever if you need everything to happen that fast.

So the live stream of the intro is in like 1 minute (it's already late and past 1PM PST anyway) and can be seen here:

https://www.twitch.tv/razer?tt_medium=live_embed&tt_content=text_link

Yeah, I hate Twitch myself, should be on YouTube but they're idiots and trying to rein in the gamers that infest Twitch more than likely. The chat window is of course absolutely useless and flying by like hamsters on speed in a maze or something as expected. :D

Hey guys, did you know it has a 120Hz screen? :rolleyes::p

No CDMA versions per Mr Mobile. Damn shame too, I was definitely buying one until I heard that.

No headphone jack. Guess that answers the question of whether I'll be buying one.

I have to admit nothing about the device interests me at all really, but I am surprised at the price, truly surprised as I'm pretty sure most people including myself were expecting a much higher retail price for this device. $699 ain't bad at all considering the actual hardware spec it's made from so kudos to Razer for keeping it within an acceptable range for top-tier hardware at a price point considerably lower than almost all the competition these days. OnePlus is probably the closest to those release specs with the OnePlus 5 so we'll see what the 5T - assuming that's the name - has got going for it soon enough.

Not bad, Razer, not bad at all.

I am going to order one when available. Everything looks pretty good to me assuming the screen doesn't have a stupid blue tint like the Pixel 2 XL.

$699 is much more in-line with what I am willing to pay... $950 or a $1000 is a lot to swallow. A price that high basically necessitates insurance, which then makes it even more expensive.

Can't deal with the phablet size myself, but those are damn impressive stats and cost.

I am going to order one when available. Everything looks pretty good to me assuming the screen doesn't have a stupid blue tint like the Pixel 2 XL.

$699 is much more in-line with what I am willing to pay... $950 or a $1000 is a lot to swallow. A price that high basically necessitates insurance, which then makes it even more expensive.

It's using an LCD (needed because there are no 120Hz mobile OLED screens yet), so the blue tint shouldn't be there.

If they only made a CDMA version i'd be all over it. I love my S8+, but the speakers and battery do it for me.

If they only made a CDMA version i'd be all over it. I love my S8+, but the speakers and battery do it for me.

If you have an S8+, there's virtually no reason to get the Razer Phone. An extra 4GB of RAM and a 120Hz display are nice, but not worth tossing out a phone you genuinely like. Wait until the 2018 phones are out, at least!

https://www.razerzone.com/mobile/razer-phone

Specs alone doesn't make a phone. It's the software. I wonder what Nextbit magic will be there on the phone. Also camera quality?

Michael Fisher aka Mr Mobile did a hands on mini-review posted to YouTube and pointed out (according to him so far, maybe he ran AIDA64 to get this info, I don't know) that the camera sensor assembly is the same Samsung sensor that was used in the Galaxy S7 series of products. Obviously I myself can't confirm that but I'm sure that someone will run AIDA64 on a Razer Phone soon enough and that'll pull the sensor ID information and we'll see it confirmed multiple times over.

If it's true and it's the same assembly that's not too bad, f/1.7 aperture and should work pretty well overall. I know that a lot of people are taking the "Well shit, it's got 2016 specs, why would I bother with it..." I have to ask "What exactly does any flagship on the market today do that's so god damned spectacularly amazing that this phone's specs can't do?" and nobody can offer me a really good answer, to be honest.

It also doesn't have the 2017 flagship pricing. ;)

Honestly, this whole push to always get latest and greatest and the newest and most expensive tech doesn't do shit in the long run since it's still just a smartphone in that long run. Sure, the 120 Hz display potential could be useful (personally not something I care about since I effectively disable animations on my devices so I never care about it), the dual front facing speakers with discrete amps could be useful but I'm still pissed about no headphone jack and using a dongle is just problematic more often than not (disclaimer: I hate wireless headphones of any and all kinds and have no intentions of ever buying any regardless of who makes 'em), and no removable battery (a pet peeve of mine and many others) makes it so-so.

But for $699, based on the hardware spec, it's really not a bad phone, and even the fact that it's got Android 7.1.1 on it is irrelevant as well since it's been stated they'll have Android 8 in February 2018 for it (the current Samsung flagships still don't have it and they've been out longer than 4 months) isn't really a negative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't expecting much from this, so I'm actually surprised at how much Razer got right. May skip the Pixel 2 and get this if the reviews are good. and Razer is genuinely committed to software support.

If they are following the Nextbit OS update formula, they should be very good in terms of updating and software support.

Look at those speaker grilles. Pure art.

The quality dac with no headphone jack..

This device screams game on me, and the price e isn't as bad.

too bad about no headphone jack. Adapters are a pain to keep track off

If you have an S8+, there's virtually no reason to get the Razer Phone. An extra 4GB of RAM and a 120Hz display are nice, but not worth tossing out a phone you genuinely like. Wait until the 2018 phones are out, at least!
The speakers on it are a big deal for me, along with the battery - but the most important is the fact that it's an aluminum body instead of all glass.

Pretty damn good phone for the price. Just need to wait and see how the reviews turn out on it. Guess the head phone jack is a thing of the past. I can see why Apple does it for but this phone doesn't look like it is doing for the space.

I’m genuinely considering this over the Pixel.

I’ll wait for more info on the planned update cycle and software support.

Horrible image stabilization, but hard to tell on the image quality due to too much lens flair.

too bad about no headphone jack. Adapters are a pain to keep track off
how is it more of a pain to track of compared to just keeping track of your wired headphones? I just keep mine connected to the headphone's wire. I don't think I'm smarter, so I'm guessing common sense is lacking here and you could be holding a lot of other information in your brain.

Since the Mate 10 has not been announced for the US yet. I went ahead last night and signed up for a Razer.

Wish it had a headphone jack, OLED, and a larger screen but the price and specs otherwise are good enough.

Yup. The only phone of similar price and the extra RAM should be the OnePlus 5T. So you can decide between a smaller display, big-bezeled 120 Hz IPS ActiveSync screen from a company that probably will support the phone (based on Nextbit's history) or a bigger display, little bezel 60 Hz Samsung OLED display and prettier phone from a company with a known history of bad service, support, and privacy issues.

interesting specs by all means, but, no CDMA support, no headphone jack, and 7.5GB memory actual not 8GB actual is still great no doubt but mis worded for sure IMO kind of like Nv and their 970 claiming 4gb when was actually 3.5gb usable :p I wonder if this is designed similar that 7.5GB would be used at full speed and remaining 0.5GB is sectioned off or running at a much lower speed.

4000Mah is awesome, hopefully the phone is built tougher than pretty much all current smartphones that seem to want to build them pretty even if it means losing functional benefits such as durability or things like 3.5mm jacks which MANY still use..sometimes building as thin as possible leads to more bad than good, such as overheating, bending phones, lack of space to put in what those who buy them actually would want to use etc.

Seems to me most of these companies are more interested in massive pay days then building the highest quality product possible given we are in the year 2017 soon 2018 2 steps forward 3 steps back is not good IMO.

Speakers should be good at least, Razer makes decent sound (not best far from worst)

Where is the Amazon preorder link? My fails are strong here. Help a brotha out please. TIA

I would presume you should (if you haven't already) register at the Razer website to be notified when the pre-ordering begins (sometime today Nov 3rd as I understand it), could be starting anytime today.

Late edit:

Apparently the Razer Phone will be available at select Microsoft Stores as well so, if there's one in your area it might be an option for purchase as well but retail channel availability won't happen till November 17th according to available info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back