Razer Phone 2 Confirmed, May Feature "Chroma" LED Lighting

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In its latest earnings report, Razer confirmed that a second-generation Razer Phone is in the works. WinFuture.de’s Roland Quandt claims it will feature Chroma LED effects, courtesy of an LED controller from Texas Instruments: the phone will presumably light up whenever notifications are received.

For those of you out there who are not big gamers, Chroma is a proprietary lighting effect that Razer incorporates into its gaming products, with keyboards being one of the more popular items. Using Chroma LED effects, gamers can customize the lighting of their peripherals to their favorite color or make it fade in and out with all the colors of the rainbow.

That's a start...I guess. But really hoped they'd introduce the phone with a matching Chroma LED watch and VR helmet. So when I get a notification the last thing I see before learning braille, is all the dazzling RGB light in the universe all at once.

How has Razer phones held up over time? I've heard that some android phones slow down quite a bit after a year.

Razer phone was a close second to the note 9 thats i'm apparently never receiving. Im really rooting for project linda to become a thing. Samsungs DeX seems really interesting as well. Excited to get my hands on it.

How has Razer phones held up over time? I've heard that some android phones slow down quite a bit after a year.

Not sure if you're on Android atm, but long term Android slowdowns often come from user apps overzealously running in the background all the time, even when they're "closed" in the app switcher. Thats not necessarily the OEM's fault. Pre installed software is guilty of this too, but that would slow down the phone right off the bat (unless an update breaks something, which they sometimes do....)

iOS used to run no 3rd party stuff in the background, which helped iPhones long term. Slowdowns came from iOS updates and relatively small memory pools. From what little I've seen on friends' iPhones, that's not the case anymore, but its still better at clamping junk processes down than Android is.

Anyway, I'm interested in this too. I saw launch reviews for the Razer phone, but haven't heard anything about updates and long-term usage.

Last edited:
Razer phone 1 is $399 right now from Razer direct using the code on their website (WOOHOO or something like that).

I played around with the razer at best buy a few weeks ago, really nice phone, shockingly light weight and that 120hz refresh rate felt oh so buttery. I dunno what the deal is with android slowdown, every phone i've ever had, even the rooted/custom rom'd ones did this. I used to get a thrill out of flashing new roms under the false premise of it being so much faster before I realized it was just because it was always a scratch install. Iphones never have this issue. I suspect just due to much tighter OS/hardware control.

Back