Razer Onza Controller

Snappshoota

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone picked one up?

I needed a second controller, so i grab one today from best buy for 50 bucks.

At first I was kinda skeptical, as I dont really like razers mouse line up.
But wow after a few hours of some black ops/MW2 on the 360, I must say its a pretty good controller.

Now I usually play Black ops with a sensitivity of 2-3, but I was able to turn it up to 4-5. Which helps out majorly in doing the quick 180 spins to head shots ; ) just kidding but it does help spinning 180 to atleast get a view where your being shot from, all while still having control over the recoil like i had when it was on 2, Thanks majorly to the adjustable tension of the sticks.

The face buttons, ever better, nice and responsive. They are ran off micro switches now, much like a mouse, so all your X,Y,A,B, buttons are very easy to push now.

The "bindable" buttons is about the only thing I really dont like. They placed them right above the LB and RB buttons,

Now the only bad thing is, they put them right where my fingers would usually rest for the normal shoulder buttons are on the original controller.. So I end up with alot of scoreboard pop up, and the worst is the grenade throwing as soon as I spawn, thanks to trying to switch to another players view while spectating.

But overall, Im really liking this controller.

Last edited:
It's okay. It's a 360 controller with a black and green color theme on it. It's okay. I bought and it came with a half broken L1 button so I was a bit upset. It's usable but I still haven't even sent it back yet. The only gripe I have is that from classic gaming it's not usable. Sometimes I like to play some Zsnes or Mame and the 360 controller directional pad positioning makes it useless.

I've had mine for about 3-4 months now, maybe more. I love it. All I have time to play these days is Reach and for that it's fantastic. The two bumpers take some getting used to. At the beginning I found myself fat fingering both on each side, but after a couple of hours I was fine. The major advantage for me was being able to turn up the ingame sensitivity to "10" and then tightening up the right analog stick. It really made a difference for me in SWAT and snipers. I've got the top right bumper set to jump and the left to reload but rarely use them. I've played maybe about 1000 matches with it so far and it still looks and feels stiff, sturdy, and brand new.

It's okay. It's a 360 controller with a black and green color theme on it. It's okay. I bought and it came with a half broken L1 button so I was a bit upset. It's usable but I still haven't even sent it back yet. The only gripe I have is that from classic gaming it's not usable. Sometimes I like to play some Zsnes or Mame and the 360 controller directional pad positioning makes it useless.

Wait, so the directional pad on the Onza is worse than a standard MS controller? Or are you talking about 360 controllers in general?

Its definitely not worse, but it is weird to use, the buttons are a little to big, to smoothly move your thumb from one to the other. Kinda hard to explain.

Wait, so the directional pad on the Onza is worse than a standard MS controller? Or are you talking about 360 controllers in general?

Well it's in the same place as the 360 so in general it's in a bad spot. Plus the direction pad buttons are just odd shaped. They are much better than the original 360 but still not good at all. It's only functional to use the joystick honestly. It is very comfortable in my hands and I really like the fact that it has an extremely long cord at around 15 feet or so, but the directional pad is one issue that bugs me.

My friend purchased one and now he swears by it. I'm hoping they release an updated version of it that fixes some of it's shortcomings.

The TE edition is on sale for 40$ here, thinking about getting it but I have read a lot of bad things about the build quality and controllers dying after little use. My friends Razer Tron controller right bumper is messed up and the right trigger squeaks.

Is every ones controller still working properly?

If you don't like the D-Pad positioning the Mad Catz MLG "Pro Circuit" Controller has modular D-Pad & Analog sticks so you can switch their position. The D-Pad also is the traditional + sign. However the controller is $$$.

I used mod sticks on my MS wireless controller and like how it feels. The D-Pad no longer feels mushy. I do want to add extra buttons on the bottom for like knifing/crouching, but I'll probably never get around to this.

The only problem with using controllers other than the 360 one is you miss out on a lot of games. I was a little peeved that Skyrim only has 360 controller support.

Id never buy a tacky razer product and that's exactly what the Onza is, lots of competitive console gamers moaned about that controller.

Stick with the official.

The only problem with using controllers other than the 360 one is you miss out on a lot of games. I was a little peeved that Skyrim only has 360 controller support.

Are you staying 3rd party usb controllers designed for xbox 360 don't work with the console version of Skyrim?

For PC. I should have been a little clearer. I can't play a lot of games on PC with a third party controller without rigging it. Skyrim, Metro 2033, Dead Space 1 and 2 and a ton of other games are all designed for a 360 controller.

For PC. I should have been a little clearer. I can't play a lot of games on PC with a third party controller without rigging it. Skyrim, Metro 2033, Dead Space 1 and 2 and a ton of other games are all designed for a 360 controller.

Wait, so are you saying when using it on PC it doesn't behave like a 360 controller? I thought given that it works as a 360 controller, on, ya know, a 360, it'd also be recognised by PC games as a 360 controller. If it doesn't, that's pretty stupid. Have you actually verified that it doesn't?

There are many reviews by the more hardcore console crowd over in the major league gaming forums of this controller. Consensus seems to be that its good but it is not durable. Also it still has the slow turn issue that plagues the regular Microsoft controllers.

Controller is detected as an Xbox 360 controller and worked fine with Skyrim on PC...

But I got it used at Gamestop for real cheap, the Tournament edition....it's a solid controller, good feel to it...but horrible quality control.

Read up on the controller you will find tons of complaints of the Left Analog stick being broke after a couple to several months of use. Mine had this defect from Gamestop....basically the analog stick thinks that it's in the upward position.....even when it's not being used. So no matter how hard you try, your character will move by himself or you will aim wrong since it's constantly moving on it's own.

I returned it the next day and got a genuine Xbox 360 controller...never had any trouble with the official microsoft version apart from me smashing them when I got too angry. :D

I bought one, opened it on Monday and have <8 hours of use and the Y button is stuck pressed in and the Right Trigger no longer works. I did not drop/throw it either. Not sure if I want to exchange or just return it.

Sounds like a typical Razer product then, flashy, nice idea, marketed as high end but with poor quality control.

Replaced it and got a product service plan. Not my favorite controller, I find that the Afterglow controllers have the nicest feel (due to the lack of dual bumpers) and are just as responsive as the Onza but the Onza's A,X,Y,B buttons are better. Also my Afterglow controller (25$) lasted 5 months vs a few days with the Onza.

Back