Razer Mouse Requires Always-On Internet Connection?

Logitech, Corsair or Steelseries from now on. Though I did like my razer headset. My first razer mouse died like 3 months after getting it, and the headset is just now failing after about 2 years...

I think some of you are missing the point. Think of it as Chrome sync. You buy a new laptop or tablet and install Chrome on it. You sign into your Google account and viola, all of your settings and bookmarks and saved personal data and passwords are synced with it. No hassle. Just go right on to using Chrome.

This mouse's software works the same way. You're invited to someone's house to play on their computer, so you just bring your preferred mouse with you and leave your computer at home. Go on Razer's web site and grab their software and sign into your account. Boom, all of your profile you painstakingly set up at home becomes available immediately.

That's all this is.

I am not a fan of Razer, but when I read the title of this thread, I figured it must have been hyperbole -- not even Razer would do something this retarded....right? Well, wrong, I guess. Wow.

I think some of you are missing the point. Think of it as Chrome sync. You buy a new laptop or tablet and install Chrome on it. You sign into your Google account and viola, all of your settings and bookmarks and saved personal data and passwords are synced with it. No hassle. Just go right on to using Chrome.

This mouse's software works the same way. You're invited to someone's house to play on their computer, so you just bring your preferred mouse with you and leave your computer at home. Go on Razer's web site and grab their software and sign into your account. Boom, all of your profile you painstakingly set up at home becomes available immediately.

That's all this is.

I see what you're saying, but I disagree. If that's all it were, Razer wouldn't REQUIRE it.

You're invited to someone's house to play on their computer, so you just bring your preferred mouse with you and leave your computer at home.

Again...I have never heard of this happening, ever.

Logitech Harmony remotes require an internet connection to be programmed. Try again.:rolleyes:

They don't require a connection to be used. I don't have to plug in my Harmony 880 everytime I want to watch TV. Only when I change profiles/ devices, and since the number of devices is updated this is a benefit.

But to login for my mouse every time my PC boots up, no thanks back to the legacy drivers for my Dragon Age Death Adder.

I don't see people crying about the need to create an account at EVGA to download Precision X. Big deal not found...

I've got Precision X and I never registered, I think i downloaded it from cnet or filehippo or something like that

They don't require a connection to be used. I don't have to plug in my Harmony 880 everytime I want to watch TV. Only when I change profiles/ devices, and since the number of devices is updated this is a benefit.

But to login for my mouse every time my PC boots up, no thanks back to the legacy drivers for my Dragon Age Death Adder.

You don't have to have an internet connection to use your mouse. It'll work just fine taking it right out of the box and plugging it in.

Now if you want to customize it then you need either the legacy drivers or Synapse and to get that you need a connection but it still works offline. Now the bullshit part is that apparently they're not offering standalone drivers for their new gear from here on out.

Again...I have never heard of this happening, ever.

ok forget about someone else's computer. Use my Chrome example. You have 10 computers in the house. Why go through the pain of setting up the same profile on 10 computers when you can just sign in and automatically sync your profile from Razer's database?

ok forget about someone else's computer. Use my Chrome example. You have 10 computers in the house. Why go through the pain of setting up the same profile on 10 computers when you can just sign in and automatically sync your profile from Razer's database?

Who has 10 gaming computers in their house? Whoever they are, I'm pretty sure they bought 10 mice.

LOL..... This, and the fact Razer's warranty support sucks!

I had a Lycheras headset. Almost a month past warranty, I had been fighting with Razer for a wire issue, they told me they couldn't do anything about it and to buy a new headset. When I offered to pay for shipping and repairs, I got told no.

Ever sense that, I went back to Logitech with the G110 keyboard. That was just nonsense. I have had issues in the past with Logitech parts, Logitech always came through to help me out, even with mice nearly a year past warranty.

Razer couldn't even help me through the last month, and one month afterwords.

Yep Logitech's warranty and RMA is flawless. I lost my power adapter on my G25 . Obviously loss under normal circumstances is not covered under warranty. So I asked if I could purchase a power adapter directly from them. They obliged with a sealed G25 without even asking for my old one !

From the article:

And you can't use Chrome Sync unless you're online either. Pretty pointless if you do, wouldn't you say?

There is an offline mode for the software. You don't have to be online to use it. You just need to be online if you want to take advantage of the sync feature. Once synced, you're good to go.

Honestly, give the software a try. It's fine. I don't even know why one_fell_swoop sent this in.

Who has 10 gaming computers in their house? Whoever they are, I'm pretty sure they bought 10 mice.

10 Razer mouse maybe? One account, 10 Razer mouse, one profile sync, done.

Why make the ASUS Geforce SuperDuper Ultra Holy Mother of God 9000 Lightspeed card when only 10 people in the world will buy it?

And you can't use Chrome Sync unless you're online either. Pretty pointless if you do, wouldn't you say?

This is neither a Chromebook, nor is it an operating system. It's a fucking mouse. It's been around since before internet was even available. Would you make the same argument if it was a keyboard? A headset? A set of speakers? How about a processor?

There is an offline mode for the software. You don't have to be online to use it. You just need to be online if you want to take advantage of the sync feature. Once synced, you're good to go.

And if you don't sync, you can't customize the mouse you just paid good money for. Unlike every other mouse on the market.

Honestly, give the software a try. It's fine. I don't even know why one_fell_swoop sent this in.

Honestly, make the software entirely and totally optional, just like every other mouse, and just like every Razer mouse in the past. Why do they need you to set up an account to do what we've always done without it? I don't even know why people like you are actually telling others not to criticize a company that sells them products.

So you have this mythical person who bought 10 gaming computers for their house, 10 of this particular model of mouse, and they want the exact same settings on each computer so that...what? They can play with the exact same configuration on a different computer every day of the week?

Hint: when you have to resort to completely unbelievable scenarios to justify a change to a product that will affect everyone who uses it, you've fucking failed.

Why make the ASUS Geforce SuperDuper Ultra Holy Mother of God 9000 Lightspeed card when only 10 people in the world will buy it?

Apparently because more than 10 people in the world will buy it. In your world, the same person is apparently going to buy all ten to go with their 10 gaming PCs. Interesting world you live in.

Dude, I give up. It seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Not everyone follows Stiletto's Law of Computer Ownership.

Nobody would bother buying 10 of them when they would just have to RMA 4 of them to get all 10 to work in the first place. ;)

After some additional testing, offline mode DOES NOT WORK. If I don't have an internet connection, my mouse is just a standard plug and play mouse.

I just updated Synapse, and logged in. I just see a loading graphic where my profiles would be, and I'm stuck at default settings. Attempting to change the profile via a menu has no effect. My mouse is useless.

Awesome!

Apparently because more than 10 people in the world will buy it. In your world, the same person is apparently going to buy all ten to go with their 10 gaming PCs. Interesting world you live in.

In my world, we use a mouse for more than just gaming and we like to use the same button for everything on our browsers and Office programs and everything else on all 10 computers.

OBVIOUSLY I picked a random number. Get off the number 10. :rolleyes:

Stiletto, we get it. You don't like Razer. Move on.

I haven't ever had any problems with Razer products and I use an array of them all day/night with no issue in over 4 years. The Razer software works very well for what it does, much better than any software I've seen for competing products. Logitech's software is bulky and indirect, and Corsair's software for their M80 is probably one of the worst implementations I've ever seen.

I have plenty of other friends who also have no issue with them.

Let me clarify that law, by the way:

Stiletto's Law of Computer Ownership: You should not have to create an account on a website and connect to the internet to customize the button on a mouse.

It's a revolution, baby. We're going all the way back to October 2012!

My argument is not about Razer per se. It's about their incorporation of DRM for hardware. If Logitech or any other company did it, I'd feel the same way.

I get it. You don't like my posts. Move on.

That's all this is.

My mouse saves my profile on the mouse itself, with no need to go online to have full functionality. So why is razer forcing you to go online to get full functionality of your mouse?

You don't have to have an internet connection to use your mouse. It'll work just fine taking it right out of the box and plugging it in.

Now if you want to customize it then you need either the legacy drivers or Synapse and to get that you need a connection but it still works offline. Now the bullshit part is that apparently they're not offering standalone drivers for their new gear from here on out.

It will work just fine as a basic, non-full functioning mouse.

So your resorting to hypothetical situations to try and justify razers actions...

Because razer is requiring something that has no valid purpose. I refer to my post above, my mouse saves all my settings on-board, so I get full functionality even if I hook it up to a computer without internet access.

Please name one person who buys more then 1 mouse at a time.

Your the one coming up with hypothetical situations that dont make any sense, just to argue that forcing people to go online to get a fully functioning mouse is a good thing. Your arguments are even more redicoulous when once again, it has been shown that there are mice out there that store profiles on-board.

I haven't ever had any problems with Razer products and I use an array of them all day/night with no issue in over 4 years. The Razer software works very well for what it does, much better than any software I've seen for competing products. Logitech's software is bulky and indirect, and Corsair's software for their M80 is probably one of the worst implementations I've ever seen.

I have plenty of other friends who also have no issue with them.

This isnt about razer mice sucking or not, this is about razer doing something that makes absolutely no sense unless you come up with theoretical situations like Azhar keeps doing. This also isnt about how bulky or hard to use a particular manufacturers software is, this is about forcing people to go online to get full functionality of their mouse. To beat the dead horse, I will say it again, there are mice out there that do exactly what razer is doing, without requiring you to login to a website. Lets not forget that your screwed if you lose your internet connection or go to a LAN party that doesn't have outside connectivity.

My mouse saves my profile on the mouse itself, with no need to go online to have full functionality. So why is razer forcing you to go online to get full functionality of your mouse?

Because. If you put it on the internet it then becomes hecka tech.

My argument is not about Razer per se. It's about their incorporation of DRM for hardware. If Logitech or any other company did it, I'd feel the same way.

I get it. You don't like my posts. Move on.

Guys, please. It's not DRM. It's spyware. Get it right!

The mouse has to be always online to report your every computing habit, personally identifiable, for sale to whoever will give them money for it.

It's right there in the privacy policy, and it is obvious that that's the only reason to pay for the expense of servers, development and all the crap that goes into making such an invasive system.

Yeah how strange that they would assume the people using a mouse designed for MMO players would have internet to at least activate their mouse software. The software has presets for specific games so my guess is that is why they did this to keep it current.

It may be poor design, but not really a huge deal IMHO

Why are there always people like this on these threads that sound like a mole from the company trying to calm things down?

Just like when I complained about how lame Vista was, there were like a dozen people saying "Hey, Vista is great, really!". Vista was a waste, Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

IMHO mole is worse than troll.

That's all this is.

You say that like it's an OPTION. But it's not just an option. You are so wrong it hurts.

...Now if they do away with the standard drivers and Synapse is all that is available and requires internet then Ill be right there nerd raging with you all. But I do not understand this blind rage over a totally optional piece of software.

It is not an option to use Synapse in offline mode. I'm assuming complaining about that is not quite the same as say: complaining that I can't watch a Netflix movie offline?

OK so, does Synapse do anything other than update your configuration - does it give you features beyond what the other "offline" software does?

When I found this in a driver update (about a month ago) I just installed an older version of the driver that did not require an always on connection. That said, I will never be buying Razer again.

I'm looking forward to when I can have online accounts for my keyboard configuration, motherboard configuration, sound configuration, screen configuration, and seat configuration. Then I can share it with my friends on each of those accounts.

Deathadder isn't my favorite mouse. The copperhead is, but they don't make those anymore. Fortunately, there are still downloadable drivers for DA. So, once they kill DA, I'll be sure and get *10* of them to last me hopefully for the next 5 years :p ... Or attempt to look for another mouse that doesn't suck. Accepting DA was hard enough...

I wonder how many here hate the idea of Synapse but swear by Steam?

Has Razer put out a response to all this? [H] and the writers of that article are not the only ones who hate Razer's latest driver. A lot of people do. I read a response to a review posted on the Amazon product page for the Death Adder. The Razer representative said they'd forward on the comments (regarding the driver) on and would consider his feedback.

If they'd just make it optional....
During or after installation have a prompt ask if we'd like to use that feature. That's all. Problem solved, complaints dissolved.

After some additional testing, offline mode DOES NOT WORK. If I don't have an internet connection, my mouse is just a standard plug and play mouse.

I just updated Synapse, and logged in. I just see a loading graphic where my profiles would be, and I'm stuck at default settings. Attempting to change the profile via a menu has no effect. My mouse is useless.

Awesome!

you can always turn it into a $100+ doorstop

//[T.0.P]//;1039308658 said:
I wonder how many here hate the idea of Synapse but swear by Steam?

Not the same thing. One is an online game distribution network, so you'd assume some kind of internet was required as it's not a local service. The other is a mouse. Normally you don't expect to use something non local to do something local you have in your hand. Plus more than likely Razer, being the junk company they are, will have the service dissapear or poorly maintain the servers, or discontinue the service at some point, so no more fully functioning mouse for you. Whereas say a G9x or something you own and have physical ownership of your profiles, as they are stored on the mouse and system and you can take them with you wherever and use local software to run. Even if Logitech went out of buisness or duscontinued support the full functionality of the mouse still remains.

Though Steams randomly broken offline mode is still annoying. :D

Back