Razer Mouse Requires Always-On Internet Connection?

Seriously? How many times do I have to say it. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION TO USE A MOUSE OR KEYBOARD OR ANYTHING! It works offline just as well and, again, you dont have to use it at all. It is 100% OPTIONAL! The standard legacy drivers are right there, right below the download links for Synapse. They work just as well and are being updated.

Now if they do away with the standard drivers and Synapse is all that is available and requires internet then Ill be right there nerd raging with you all. But I do not understand this blind rage over a totally optional piece of software.

You are totally off point here.

What you have been saying is that YES you can use the mouse without the software. We get that...but the fact of the matter is that if you want to CUSTOMIZE your mouse you need the software. Most hardware will indeed work without the software that comes with it but then you are stripped down to the most basic of uses.

The big deal with this is that if you WANT to use the Razer software to customize mouse settings you NEED to create and account and have internet connection to do so.

THIS IS WRONG!

If other peripheral manufactures LIKE Logitech don't REQUIRE you to sign up and activate an account to use their software there is no logical reason why Razer does.

Either way you try to spin it it doesn't make it RIGHT.

Period. There is NOTHING you can say to support their line of reasoning. If you do you are WRONG.

I'm surprised you guys haven't noticed this before now.

yeah i've been stuck with this piece of crap software to use my naga since last update.

This was my first, and now last overpriced razer product.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION TO USE A MOUSE OR KEYBOARD OR ANYTHING!

But I do not understand this blind rage...

Yeah, blind rage sucks.

You missed the point, once again. If you want up-to-date drivers, it is not optional. You dodged that by re-iterating that legacy drivers will work. You're on a PC enthusiast website. We keep our drivers up to date. Hence, the headline is accurate.

Yall gonna make me lose my mind up in here to quote DMX.

Go here and look right below the Synapse software. Its the old legacy drivers. They dont require an internet connection or account or anything.

And where is the download link for the latest drivers so I can download them myself, at any time, without either signing up for anything or having a mouse that requires an internet connection?

Because, well...every other company has one. Does Razer?

I was really, really thinking about maybe buying a Razer Blade laptop, but since they do stuff like this, I'll go get a Compaq CQ57 instead for gaming. They're probably going to DRM their laptops so that they don't turn on without the owner logging onto with their service first.

You are totally off point here.

What you have been saying is that YES you can use the mouse without the software. We get that...but the fact of the matter is that if you want to CUSTOMIZE your mouse you need the software. Most hardware will indeed work without the software that comes with it but then you are stripped down to the most basic of uses.

The big deal with this is that if you WANT to use the Razer software to customize mouse settings you NEED to create and account and have internet connection to do so.

THIS IS WRONG!

If other peripheral manufactures LIKE Logitech don't REQUIRE you to sign up and activate an account to use their software there is no logical reason why Razer does.

Either way you try to spin it it doesn't make it RIGHT.

Period. There is NOTHING you can say to support their line of reasoning. If you do you are WRONG.

For the love of fuck, you do not have to use this software. You can use the legacy drivers and customize your gear just like before with no internet connection, no account, no nothing.

Yeah, blind rage sucks.

You missed the point, once again. If you want up-to-date drivers, it is not optional. You dodged that by re-iterating that legacy drivers will work. You're on a PC enthusiast website. We keep our drivers up to date. Hence, the headline is accurate.

Youd be 100% correct if they werent updating the legacy drivers. Looking at their website right now, the legacy drivers for my Deathadder were update today.

razerdrivers.png

So if you want up to date drivers, you go to their website and download the most up to date drivers just like before.

If Synapse was all that was available then Id be right there with you guys, but its not. Its 100% optional.

So if you want up to date drivers, you go to their website and download the most up to date drivers just like before.

If Synapse was all that was available then Id be right there with you guys, but its not. Its 100% optional.

That's a horse of a different color, then. It's not as bad as I thought.

However, the concept of DRM in hardware is still a terrible precedent.

For the love of fuck, you do not have to use this software. You can use the legacy drivers and customize your gear just like before with no internet connection, no account, no nothing.

Just a thought...it is possible to go into a blind nerdy-type rage over other people being upset too. I'm not really sure that being upset over other people being upset means you can be all mega-critical about them being upset. :)

Something about a horse and a toaster oven comes to mind, but you get the idea.

That's a horse of a different color, then. It's not as bad as I thought.

However, the concept of DRM in hardware is still a terrible precedent.

pic-5.jpg

I read up on it a little before I installed it and its not meant as DRM but rather "cloud based settings network". They say the reason behind it is to have your settings stored in the cloud so you can access them from any computer if you take your mice or whatever to game on a different rig.

I dont think theyll be a lot of demand for it, and like I said, I just like it because the UI is better and it has my Deathadder and Black Widow in the same place so its a little easier.

Just a thought...it is possible to go into a blind nerdy-type rage over other people being upset too. I'm not really sure that being upset over other people being upset means you can be all mega-critical about them being upset. :)

Something about a horse and a toaster oven comes to mind, but you get the idea.

LMAO! Touche' sir. It seemed like I was saying something over and over and nobody was listening to me.....it mustve reminded me of my wife and drove me mad with rage! :D

LMAO! Touche' sir. It seemed like I was saying something over and over and nobody was listening to me.....it mustve reminded me of my wife and drove me mad with rage! :D

It's okay. I know how you feel. My cat totally ignores me most of the time unless he needs me to feed him or wants to sleep on some part of my body and is upset that I'm moving. It's a good thing he doesn't read this forum or I'd be in soo much trouble!

Ok, just to make things clearer what MacLeod posted is true.

Further More
The Synapse software we are talking about not to be mistaken for the normal system. Is an Optional Cloud Based Software Which keeps track of your settings, also i think you don't need to install (other the normal drivers) the mouse or headset when you go to someone else house to play...

Getting upset about it requiring internet connection, is like getting mad at drop box for requiring an internet connection to use.

I've been using Synapse for a while on my Mac because the standard driver never fully disabled mouse acceleration, or at least I could not figure it out. The Synapse software works great, but it doesn't work as advertised.

When my system starts up, the Synapse software indicates that my profile has been loaded but it's actually not active until the Razer servers are contacted. If I disconnect my internet (and then restart), my profile seems to be ineffective and I'm stuck with the default settings. I know they said it has an offline mode, but it seems to be broken. Quite annoying.

I have blackwidow ultimate, mamba 4G. I'm so glad these don't require shitnapse 2.0.

Recently got a naga hex (only for dota 2) which requires shitnapse 2.0. However, with the built-in (on mouse) profile button and dota 2's controls, I can avoid this crap. :happy:

I still think its crappy that they require an account and junk to use the latest software.

They could have easily made it a default but optional and have a scheduled update service. It wouldn't have been a ton of work to do, that data is local anyways (just syncs probably).

My opinion is everyone is jumping on the "cloud" bandwagon and it is starting to get a bit insane to the point of excluding everything else. Mainly because companies can gather data on their customers with cloud services rather then giving a free trip to hawaii to fill out surveys like they used to do.

Think cloud services can be really handy, nice to just login and boom custom mouse settings are downloaded... but this should be an option, legacy software or not.

ITT: autism

Anyway, I hate crap like this... storing crap in "the cloud" is just annoying. Might as well just replace "cloud" with "botnet".

well its more than just having to require an internet conn. Sure the cloud based settings is nice but has anyone read their privacy policy?
[By using Razer Synapse 2.0 (“Synapse”), the Subscriber agrees that Razer may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information. Razer may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties.

Razer reserves the right to make access to certain value-added services or features conditional upon the supply of personally identifiable information.

Collection of personally identifiable information may be out-sourced to associates under agreement with Razer. These associates may adhere to their own set of privacy policies
/QUOTE]

Hey I got np installing a piece of software to get updates and such but when it comes packaged with spyware, the concern is definitely legitimate.

ITT: autism

Anyway, I hate crap like this... storing crap in "the cloud" is just annoying. Might as well just replace "cloud" with "botnet".

DeVry: dementia

Agreed. Why would we want a cloud based mouse profiles?

This is so misguided.

I once used Razer mice but their software driver never seemed to function without conflicts and after I switched to a system with UEFI the mouse I had caused all kinds of conflicts with the usb ports.

I swapped out my razer for a old logitech and all the usb issues were resolved, I don't understand how you cannot have a input device like a mouse not function with the generic microsoft drivers or just in the BIOS, but I cannot even fathom the benefit to the customer to require a internet connection be active to have a peripheral function in the manner it was designed for.

It was one thing when it was logitech . microsoft and Razer at the top for a good quality gaming mouse many years ago, but in the wake of companies like steelseries, cooler-master, thermaltake, saitek/madcatz etc all bringing multiple good designs to market, this crap will not earn Razer more repeat customers , first time sales or a better reputation.

Worse is that "gaming" accessories are all sold on word of mouth and hype justifying the high prices versus the cheapest optical mouse available. if they start runing the experience that their customers have with their products, they are going to push themselves right out of the market.

Only Apple can get away with non-functional mice designs and not have their customers care than much and they at the least have offset the horrible past designs with touchpads that replicate their customers mobile experience to placate them.

Razer cannot honestly think they can sell this idea off on gamers as a benefit and not expect a lot of backlash if it is going to need to "phone home" jsut to work like their marketing said.

Channelx99, a poster on the overclock.net forums, says that the Razer Naga gaming mouse comes with special drivers that require your computer to be connected to the Internet at all times in order to play -- and this means that the mouse was useless when it was first plugged in, because Razer's servers were down. Parsing the Razer license agreement, Channelx99 finds that Razer reserves the right to spy on all your activity and to sell or data-mine that data. Multiple emails to Razer from Channelx99 have not created any clarity on this, as the company only sends back generic customer-service messages that don't explain whether the purpose of the drivers is really to spy on and monetize users.

In case this was missed, if/when they stop the legacy drivers you will have to use the always on ones that (may) spy on you.

well its more than just having to require an internet conn. Sure the cloud based settings is nice but has anyone read their privacy policy?
[By using Razer Synapse 2.0 (“Synapse”), the Subscriber agrees that Razer may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information. Razer may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties.

Razer reserves the right to make access to certain value-added services or features conditional upon the supply of personally identifiable information.

Collection of personally identifiable information may be out-sourced to associates under agreement with Razer. These associates may adhere to their own set of privacy policies
/QUOTE]

Hey I got np installing a piece of software to get updates and such but when it comes packaged with spyware, the concern is definitely legitimate.

That is a full crock of shit there. Just ANOTHER reason to hate Razer.

p.s. Fuck Razer. I've had two boomslangs and both broke with a few months. I'll never buy another razer product again.

I have the Razer Naga Epic and use it wired. Love the mouse but the drivers are a complete POS. Besides requiring you to make an account they also have a pretty poor application detection algorithm. I remember using a Logitech mouse eons ago that did a better job for profile switching.

I dug around the found an older version of their drivers which didn't require this account BS.

unrelated, but semi-related.

Is there really a good used-mouse market? I mean really, I don't know if I want someone's used mouse - I'll just buy new for full price at that point...

unrelated, but semi-related.

Is there really a good used-mouse market? I mean really, I don't know if I want someone's used mouse - I'll just buy new for full price at that point...

There's obviously a huge-antical pirate mousey market out there filled with nefarious bad people who do second hand mousey selling out of the trunks of cars in alleys at night time.

Youd be 100% correct if they werent updating the legacy drivers. Looking at their website right now, the legacy drivers for my Deathadder were update today.

razerdrivers.png

Hi!

Im the one that quoted for this story and hope I could clarify a few things.

If you own an older Razer mouse, what youre saying above is correct. However, for newer mice, like the Naga 2012, there arent legacy drivers. Youre forced to use Synapse 2.0. If you dont register and activate your mouse to use Synapse, the mouse will only work as a basic plug and play mouse without the ability to customize any settings, change the DPI, polling rate, LED lighting, setup macros and so forth.

There the full original post can be found here
http://www.overclock.net/t/1323093/razer-razer-synapse-2-0-used-for-always-on-data-mining

Hope this helps

Hi!

Im the one that quoted for this story and hope I could clarify a few things.

If you own an older Razer mouse, what youre saying above is correct. However, for newer mice, like the Naga 2012, there arent legacy drivers. Youre forced to use Synapse 2.0. If you dont register and activate your mouse to use Synapse, the mouse will only work as a basic plug and play mouse without the ability to customize any settings, change the DPI, polling rate, LED lighting, setup macros and so forth.

There the full original post can be found here
http://www.overclock.net/t/1323093/razer-razer-synapse-2-0-used-for-always-on-data-mining

Hope this helps

If that is the case then I definitely join the chorus of calling total bullshit on Razer for that. The whole reason I was defending Synapse is because Razer was maintaining their legacy drivers and Synapse was optional. But if theyre forcing people to use Synapse with all their latest and newest devices then that is indeed a bunch of horse shit and totally wrong!

If that is the case then I definitely join the chorus of calling total bullshit on Razer for that. The whole reason I was defending Synapse is because Razer was maintaining their legacy drivers and Synapse was optional. But if theyre forcing people to use Synapse with all their latest and newest devices then that is indeed a bunch of horse shit and totally wrong!

From what I was told, Razer started deleting the legacy drivers for all the older mice as they added support for Synapse 2.0 because they want everyone on that platform. Only after the outcry did they start adding the legacy drivers back.

If you have an older mouse, start backing up pre Synapse 2.0 drivers now.

Seriously, WTF? My mouse has free always on 3g.

The shittier new mice are really not the manufacturers fault...they lose so much revenue from the pirates, how can they possibly turn out good products? Though I do understand there are some nice mice for xbox but I think they only refresh 30/second.

ALSO...I was playing WOW the other day and I noticed it requires an ALWAYS ON internet connection while playing! WTF!? (Stupidity of this statement pre-aknowledged.)

From what I was told, Razer started deleting the legacy drivers for all the older mice as they added support for Synapse 2.0 because they want everyone on that platform. Only after the outcry did they start adding the legacy drivers back.

Well dont I feel like a total tool for defending the whole thing. :eek:

update:

I actually just read that people using the Blackwidow, once updated to Synapse 2.0 are given a firmware update that downloads automatically, which makes it so you can no longer use legacy drivers. Thats not right at all...

what happens if you feed it after midnight?
also razer just insured they're never seeing any of my hard earned cash.. ever

Just a quick note: from my experience, Razer mouse does not come with the software mentioned. If you don't have internet connection, you don't have the software at all. :)

Of course, basic functions are still there with generic drivers provided by OS.

what happens if you feed it after midnight?
also razer just insured they're never seeing any of my hard earned cash.. ever

Feed it after midnight? I know its a mouse, but um...those kinds don't eat anything unless you count electricity.

I tried that Synapse garbage for a few months.

First, it rebooted my computer, with no prompts, in the middle of A GAME to update itself.

They fixed that so that it would no longer try to install while in a full-screen application.

Then the thing would forget your username/password and you would have to log in to Razer's site to use your mouse EVERY SINGLE BOOT.

The final straw was when the software kept popping up the configuration window all the time.

I rolled back to the latest pre-synapse drivers and have not had a problem since.

Newer Razer mice don't have pre-synapse drivers, and in some cases (like the naga) the software updates the firmware so once you've installed it...

Back