Razer Mouse Requires Always-On Internet Connection?

Yep. This is why I already bought Logitech G600 to replace my razer naga. The dam driver software gave me issue when I was offline.

reason why i got rid of my swtor naga and went with my steel series sensei. half the time it didnt load my settings and i thought it was stupid that i had to log in for mouse drivers.

really i didnt even realize it had spyware crap in it.

also find this funny this is just now being discussed. been like this since swtor released and the swtor naga.

There's absolutely no reason why you should create an account for a hardware's driver or whatever you want to call it. I don't recall needing to register with nVidia or ATI to download their software for my graphic card.

There's also no need for online activation either. Again, just like any drivers, you should be able to download them, and use them anywhere else you want without needing to activate the hardware at each computer.

So, WTF is the purpose of this?

between this and the kinekt spying on you story...hell of a day on the internet

so.. its optional, but im missing the point why is everybody pissed?, i know i know, its a stupid nonsense idea, but of all the rage I thought I was going to have a DRM mouse in the near future :D

This is scary, I really hope this concept wont catch on. Optional today... requirement tomorrow? Once a single manufacturer does it then they all will. It also does not help that open computing is starting to die out because the industry wants smartphones and tablets (which are mostly very closed throw away devices) to replace computers rather than be an accessory outside of them. Things are getting scary.

Let's all hope it does not really come to this.

I bought a Razer Naga Hex when it came out and quickly found out i needed this cloud based software driver to customize my button mapping (beyond the NumPad or 1-6 setup). I sucked it up and attempted to use their software, but ran into one very serious issue that needed to be fixed.

PROBLEM:
My gaming rig is a multiuser system, and sometimes my wife logs into my PC with a separate windows account. Every time another user logged into my PC, the Synapse 2.0 drivers would forget my login information. This would require me to log back in the next time I used my PC. This is so stupid and should never have worked like this. I waited a few months and never saw this fixed (even though I submitted support tickets for it), so I eventually gave up and just use the Windows drivers now.

Honestly, the mouse is awful and I don't know why I haven't replaced it. Probably cuz I'm trying to get my money out of it before tossing it.

My Mionix Naos 3200 has on-board memory that stores my settings, so that if I plug it into another computer it keeps its full functionality/profile.

Why does Razer require an internet connection to do the same thing?

Sure you can use the old drivers "now". Wait until next year when those "optional" drivers are the only ones supported......then you'll be farked :D

Luckily Razer mice are terrible junky PoS that no one should consider seriously anyway. :p

Like others have said lots of other mice by other companies have onboard storage for the same stuff (or you can just email yourself the profiles). Would be terrible to go to a 1337 pro ultra hardcore tournement and then Razors servers (which were made my Razor so logically will be junk) are offline! :eek:

Online DRM is here to stay boys. Better jump onboard.

I still think its crappy that they require an account and junk to use the latest software.

RbT4p.gif

What a huge epic fail and a huge WTF from Razer, I never knew people could pirate hardware, absolutely makes no sense to add online DRM for hardware, which is not possible to pirate unless stolen. And with mandatory spyware as well? Another reason to avoid this shit.

I found this out back at the end of October or so when I was reading reviews for the DeathAdder on Amazon. Lots of complaints about the new drivers, and it really dissuaded me from buying the mouse. They advertise your mouse settings be set up once and accessible across the world once you plug the device in. I'm not sure how many of their customers are traveling around plugging their mice into various, random computers and need their gamer settings applied after doing so. This was a really poor decision on Razer's part. I'm actually holding out on upgrading until they do something about this.

At the very least, make it optional. :rolleyes:

They advertise your mouse settings be set up once and accessible across the world once you plug the device in.

What a retarded excuse. The mouse settings can just be stored on the device itself.

What a huge epic fail and a huge WTF from Razer, I never knew people could pirate hardware, absolutely makes no sense to add online DRM for hardware, which is not possible to pirate unless stolen. And with mandatory spyware as well? Another reason to avoid this shit.

Oh but it does make sense. Razer is in a position where they could potentially collect and sell personal info for millions (all at some point) of their customers. And just like anybody else, they're advertising it as a great feature. Somehow I suspect people are gonna love it and ask for it. You just wait.

Thats because they just came out with it. Its not meant for LAN parties where you take your entire rig. Its meant for when you might take your mouse over to somebody's house and game on their rig. Ill never use it either and dont think many people will. I just like it cause it keeps updates coming for my devices and I really like the UI as Im frequently in there tweaking on things.

who the hell takes their mouse over to someones place to game.

The Logitech G13 gamepad stores the settings on the actual device, Razer couldn't think of that? Also, the drivers have an option to auto-update without requiring an account anywhere.

I'm sick of having to make an account everywhere. It's bad enough I need to sign up for multiple accounts just for video games and support forums.

LOL..... This, and the fact Razer's warranty support sucks!

I had a Lycheras headset. Almost a month past warranty, I had been fighting with Razer for a wire issue, they told me they couldn't do anything about it and to buy a new headset. When I offered to pay for shipping and repairs, I got told no.

Ever sense that, I went back to Logitech with the G110 keyboard. That was just nonsense. I have had issues in the past with Logitech parts, Logitech always came through to help me out, even with mice nearly a year past warranty.

Razer couldn't even help me through the last month, and one month afterwords.

Also forgot to add, I had an issue with a razer Lycosa special mirror edition turning on and off, I got told maybe the USB port isn't supplying enough power. >.> Hence why I mentioned going back to Logitech with a G110.

First came the Keyboard issue that I delt with, followed by the headset issue. Was more then enough for me to deal with from that company.

Logitech in the past, has replaced TWO G5 Laser mice for me which resulted in me being sent a G500 laser mouse that i've been very happy with, as I was with the G5's. All my Mice have been from Logitech, which is at least 3 other mice. (One Logitech CLICK! Optical mouse that is from like 2002..that STILL works!) One is a MX15? Small little laptop mouse that has some crazy DPI, and the other is my G500.

My cousin now is using the same set up as I am, G500 laser mouse with a G110 Keyboard. It's my way of saying FU Razer.

I was never impressed by Razer products, in all honesty, save maybe when they first came onto the scene.

if there's any truth to this and it is an always-on deal, then Razer has successfully ensured that they will never get my money.

that being said, I love my Corsair mouse. now I need the keyboard. :D

Yeah how strange that they would assume the people using a mouse designed for MMO players would have internet to at least activate their mouse software. The software has presets for specific games so my guess is that is why they did this to keep it current.

It may be poor design, but not really a huge deal IMHO

There shouldn't be a need to activate mouse software, nor need a constant internet connection. It's free software that comes with the mouse. There are no license keys for it.

I can understand if the software would do update checks whenever a connection was present, but the need to have it constantly connected. That's just plain stupid.

I don't see people crying about the need to create an account at EVGA to download Precision X. Big deal not found...

This could all be easily solved if these settings were embedded and saved in firmware. No need for a cloud, no need for internet access. All your settings on in the mouse. The mouse driver would be minimal and handle the rest.

This could all be easily solved if these settings were embedded and saved in firmware. No need for a cloud, no need for internet access. All your settings on in the mouse. The mouse driver would be minimal and handle the rest.

Like you were able to do with the Belkin 52te BEFORE Razer bought it from them and has since destroyed this feature?

Yeah, it's VERY possible, Razer not only don't want to do it, they REMOVED it from a fully functioning product!

I don't see people crying about the need to create an account at EVGA to download Precision X. Big deal not found...

That's because their video card settings aren't saved in a cloud, and unavailable without an internet connection.

Try again.

I've had one razor mouse and it gave up the ghost after only 4 months. Not buying their products because of reliability issues first, this second.

i love my razer imperator... but when i bought a logitech g700 i understood how cheap it was... and for almost the same price.

Sorry no edit - right from the XAI product description:

There’s no need to install software of any kind to use the Xai. The built-in driver can be adjusted through an LCD menu on the backside of the mouse. Just plug in the Xai and play.

The easier way would be to offer both. For guys like me that like Synapse, we can use it. For those that don't, make standalone legacy drivers that can be used as well. If they're able to offer and update legacy drivers for older products, why can't they do the same for the new products?

Back