razer mice - build qality?

Vielgus-Kutas

Limp Gawd
how is the build quality of their mice today...
i've been looking on ebay and there are quite a few with broken left/right buttons and such...

i'm still using a diamondback...
it's been used daily since it came out and it's still going strong, ... wow that's almost 10yrs!
i know razer build quality fell significantly after the diamondback...
just wondering if they have improved lately or still selling junk,

any thoughts, comments?

know of any mice that would be a suitable replacement for the diamondback?
aka.. similar profile/weight/quality

Last edited:
I personally have never had any issues with razer products in general. The only time I had something go bad was a lachesis I ordered off woot that was broke when I received it. I was able to return it so no harm no foul. Right now I'm using a razer naga 2014 mouse and it feels solid to me. Before that I was using the ouroboros which felt solid, but I just didn't like it.

As far as a razer mouse it looks like a mamba or deathadder would be the closest.

Ive got several Razer products from a couple mice to keyboards to a headset and theyve always held up pretty well. Their mice dont feel quite as solid as some of my Logitech mice but they dont feel cheap and Ive never had an issue with them.

With a few exceptions they are still selling products with poor quality and construction I am afraid.

Razer Mamba: Issues with batteries and side button not responding.

Razer Naga: Heavily used buttons pushed into mouse.

Razer Death Adder: No issues what so ever. Mouse I use at work for 4 years now.

Razer Death Adder - great mice but due to my avid counter-strike sessions i had to upgrade to an Zowie . Never had a problem with the Death Adder, but I would say its more for the casual gamer.

i tried Mionix Naos 3200, that mouse was horrible, it was impossible to lift off the desk, which .. i seem to do a lot.. naturally,

i also tried FUNC MS-3, that was a lot better, but it was a little too heavy and off balance when lifted.. not a good fps mouse but would work for other type of gaming

Razer has been known for a while for the cheaper quality, i decided this time to go with logitech and it hasnt disappointed me yet, i have the G600 its a bit heavy for most games that wouldnt require the hot keys but if you need a lot of hot keys its my go to choice

Haven't tried them ever but all of the bad reviews on amazon and videos on youtube made me turn away.

I've never had an issue with anything of theirs. Granted I've only bought two deathadders and their black widow keyboard. Honestly because they match my case's color scheme.

I see people knock their quality all the time, but my room mate's K70 has like 5 or so LED's burned out after about two month's , but my 2013 BW is still 100%. I want a RGB k70, but that is holding me back. So take all the hate with a grain of salt. Sure some of their stuff is tacky, but I think most is high quality from my experience.

imo highly overrated. construction quality is always a big miss except for a few models.

razer was only good when there were very few options, for a while there it seemed like you only had 2 choices razer and Logitech but over the years a lot of gaming targeted companies have jumped into the game and I think that as caused problems for both companies. Logitech has fallen to shit, I am in the middle of an RMA and haven't had a response in 2 weeks. The main advantage these companies still have is just brand recognition and retail presence.

Razer Deathadder Guild Wars Edition since 2008? It started developing left clicking issues, took it apart to try to fix it. Worked great for another couple months but now it's getting clicking issues again. Think I'll just replace it than take it apart again. Been a good 6+ years. Thinking about another Deathadder or using the Naga I got for $25.

If you're sad about going away from the Diamondback, then there's an alternative. I've always loved the Diamondback and it has annoyed me for years that they haven't made anything similar again. It's just not the same.

Then I read in another thread about E-blue (E-3lue) and decided to try it out. A "local" website sold these and I decided to try out this one:

http://e-3lue.com/int/individual product/auroza.html

It's actually quite good and it feels awesome in the hand (haven't got big hands) because of the rubberised coating. Good build quality compared to some of the earlier versions (I ebayed a few of them .. hit and miss, some are okay). I really recommend this if you want something close to the Diamondback. It's without software though but you can change the DPI. It doesn't feel cheap at all. Heck, they're probably build the same place.

http://e-3lue.com/int/individual product/Cobra.html

This is a little wider and I got the black one too but I didn't like the glossy plastic. Kept it for the bling.

I also tried the CM Storm Spawn:

http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/mice/spawn/

The small form factor resembles the Diamondback but I can't use a mouse with a ring finger rest. I need to claw my ring finger and pinkie. It's still awesome though. Still use it once in a while.

I'd k*** for getting my red see through Diamondback back!!! I'd buy the whole stock to make sure I had enough for the rest of my life lol.

I've tried them all. Either they're too tall or too wide. My wallet is my witness. Sigh.

Edit: Hope it didn't sound like an advert. I'm just a Diamondback lover. If they want me back, they'd better start making them again :)

I'm a diehard Logitech fan. I would go with the G700 or the G502. Currently I use the G502 but the G700 is more comfortable. I use Razer products for keyboards.

I have had 2 of them go to crap on me after a year or less of use. I am a 100% solid Mionix fan now.

razer was only good when there were very few options, for a while there it seemed like you only had 2 choices razer and Logitech but over the years a lot of gaming targeted companies have jumped into the game and I think that as caused problems for both companies. Logitech has fallen to shit, I am in the middle of an RMA and haven't had a response in 2 weeks. The main advantage these companies still have is just brand recognition and retail presence.

Seriously? Logitech just RMA'd my harmony and it took like 10 days total for me to ship there and they shipped back. Literally the best RMA experience I have ever had.

Logitech has been nothing but good to me. I've never seen a company to tell you to keep a product being replaced, let alone send another one out to replace it with quick shipping. I would never buy another product but Logitech. I like to know I'm covered if something happens to my product. Not have to jump through hoops trying to get as ball rolling to get a working product. Unlike some other companies out here. Which I will not get started on.

ive had nothing but bad experiences with every razer product i have owned. mice and keyboards,

durability seems to be a huge issue with razer.

as killer k said, logitech is the brand that has done right by me.
never had issues with logitech mice.

I love all the Razer haters.. I've had nothing but great luck with my razer products. My new Blackwidow Chroma is nothing short of spectacular!

I'm split on this.

Razer Onza: Ended up being replaced but I've not used the replacement much so I can't really comment on durability. It just feels a bit cheap in the hand.

Razer Orochi: Really great little mouse, used it pretty heavily out and about with my laptop and was still working the last I checked. However, not used it for a while since.

Overall, I think they should worry more about the materials, build quality and QA process and spend a little less time/money on the packaging/marketing for their products.

I don't think Razer build quality is any better or worse than any of the other companies making "gaming" mice. They're all pretty cheesy build quality. I've recently used Razer, Roccat, SteelSeries, and Logitech. Can't say I felt any of them was better/worse made than any other. You need to just go with whatever feels and works best to you.

If you're wondering, my current mouse is a Razer Hex. I love the 6 soft-click buttons on the side with the nub in the middle for gripping it with my thumb. It has a finger rest on the right side, but I can still claw grip it. That's my biggest issue with most of these gaming mice, they're too bulky and I can't claw grip them properly.

My second favorite mouse is the SteelSeries Sensei, but the right-click button started flaking out so I had to retire it. Had it about 2 years.

Roccat sucks in my experience. Ended up returning a Kova because of a mouse-wheel glitch and general feel/build.

I currently use a SteelSeries Sensei Raw and it feels very good/solid. Much better than the Roccat.

I have the Razer Naga and can't see myself owning anything else for the forseeable future. It works great and fits my hand perfect. I love the side buttons,I was on the fence about that,but I don't think I could do without them. I love you can change it to any color and when its charging on the dock,it breathes.. So I can set my Chroma keyboard and mouse to breathe together.. Its pretty cool..:D

I have owned 3 razor mice (Lachesis, 2x Naga's) and they have all been very particular regarding the type of mat that they were used on. Currently I've found that the original fUNC purple mat works the best.

I've had a Razer Death Adder (Black Edition) since it's release and I have never had a problem with it. It's been one of the lightest and most comfortable mice that I've been able to play with. The software seems light weight and its very simple, so that's a plus for me.

I bought a Razer Habu back in 2007. After a year or two it started registering single clicks as double clicks so I tried to find out how an RMA would work. Razer basically told me I had to do it through Microsoft, which I thought was odd. The Microsoft UK website had no mention of the mouse at all, so I went to the Microsoft US website and enquired there. They sent me a brand new mouse from the US for free, without me having to return my faulty one.

I then bought a Razer Deathadder 2013 last year since I needed a second mouse and love it. I used the replacement Habu at work until recently and now it's just a backup. The Deathadder seems made of stronger stuff.

The only minor gripe I have with Razer products is that often I'll boot my PC (which takes a while because POST takes 25 seconds) and then I'll get a popup about a Razer update that requires a reboot, even though usually nothing has changed for my particular mouse.

Razor Naga right button died in about 9 months fairly heavy use.

Loved the naga but only the top two rows where easy to get too and did very quick.

I've had good luck with the G700 and the VX revolution.. though my first G700 is starting to go now after about 19 months.

I'm in the market for a high dpi mmo mouse again. probably will go with the g700s

I had a Naga that died after about a year. I did send it in for warranty and they sent me a new one. It's still working now! My Logitech MX 518 has been rolling ever since it came out...

I Bought an original run deathadder and it went double click of death on me faster than it should. I swore off Razer for a long time, then caved and got the DeathAdder 2014, I love it. It's the best mouse I've owned and great accuracy for FPS. Love the surface calibration software.

I've tried a Rat7, G9x, TTeS Black. None of them compared in terms of comfort and accuracy.

my old loggy mx518 from 2006 still kickin no issues lol I even have my old microsoft intellimouse that still works...and even an old microsoft media keyboard from 2004...

i had a razer mouse once.. it kept switching weapons on me without me even touching the mouse wheel, go so sick of it.. it killed me a bunch... i have ROCCAT Savu now.. no issues at all..... my past mouse razer issue prevented me from getting one of their keyboards.

Razer's build quality has been very hit-or-miss for me. I started with an original Diamondback, which to this day is still 100% usable. Upgraded to an original Deathadder a couple years later, the switches started double-clicking (especially the scroll wheel) before the RMB stopped altogether. Got an Imperator to replace it, same thing happens within 6 months. Needless to say I haven't bought a single Razer mouse since, and Zowie is doing just as well as the original Diamondback.

Never had an issue with my Razer stuff. I've used their mice and keyboards for a long time and I've had quite a few Razer headsets as well. I have 2013 editions of the Death Adder and the Black Widow Ultimate right now (right before they switched to their own switches) and I adore them both.

I think the complaints about Razer quality are extremely overstated.

I was using nothing but Logitech for years. Then their quality started to go down. I switched from a rubber dome Logitech keyboard to a Focus 2001 mechanical. I am using a PokerII 60% now.

As for mice the last Logitech I had that was worth owning is a G3. Still have it and it works good. I replaced it with a Diamondback 3G . Great mouse that I just replaced with a Deathadder 3.5 Black last year. I also own a couple other Razer mice the Salmosa and Abyssus. all great mice compared to the cheap crap that Logitech is selling now.

Back