Razer Mamba: Still with its issues?

enyceexdanny

2[H]4U
Hey guys. Currently I'm deciding between the Mamba and G9x.
Upon reading some reviews on both, it seems that Mamba has a lot of issues. But I haven't found any conclusive information that it was fixed. Mamba users, do all these issues I read about still persist?

Also, I've never tried the G9x but it seems pretty uncomfortable from the looks of it. I have typical small asian hands. I currently have the G500, Deathadder and MX performance. I do find all three feel comfortable in their own right, though the deathadder just feels a bit more.

Any recommendations?
And price is no concern.

Thanks

you have no reason to buy a new mouse unless you already have your 3 very good mice for separate computers.

I've been using my Mamba since I bought it without problems. I updated the firmware once, it works fine. Updating the mouse can be tricky but mainly the problems are because of the user.
Bad experiences are talked about by few and good experiences are enjoyed by many.

Best mouse I've ever used and extremely comfortable.

you have no reason to buy a new mouse unless you already have your 3 very good mice for separate computers.

True, and I use all three for one computer. I initially had the Deathadder then I ended up purchasing the MX performance mainly due to it being wireless and having the free-scroll feature but it just wasn't good for gaming. So I purchased the G500 but it ended up not being as comfortable and as precise as my deathadder. Now I feel that maybe I can buy a Mamba and use that along with just my MX performance. Since both are wireless it wouldn't drive me as crazy.

I really don't know why I have the G9x in consideration. But I just heard so many good things about it that if it was comfortable, I can just use that 1 mouse for all. Especially considering that it has the free scroll feature.

I've been using my Mamba since I bought it without problems. I updated the firmware once, it works fine, no need to update it again with newer firmware/drivers that could ruin my experience. Updating the mouse can be tricky but mainly the problems are because of the user.

Best mouse I've ever used.

No jittering, squeaky scroll wheel and other issues?

Squeaky scroll wheel was solved using a tutorial on Youtube. Used some clipper oil but any kind of oil or grease will work. Since I applied the oil, the mouse hasn't squeaked since November!

No skipping or jittering, I use it for Photoshop retouching which requires high precision. No other issues.

True, and I use all three for one computer. I initially had the Deathadder then I ended up purchasing the MX performance mainly due to it being wireless and having the free-scroll feature but it just wasn't good for gaming. So I purchased the G500 but it ended up not being as comfortable and as precise as my deathadder. Now I feel that maybe I can buy a Mamba and use that along with just my MX performance. Since both are wireless it wouldn't drive me as crazy.

I really don't know why I have the G9x in consideration. But I just heard so many good things about it that if it was comfortable, I can just use that 1 mouse for all. Especially considering that it has the free scroll feature.

I guess mice is a subjective thing. Here is a list of mice i've owned over the past 2 years
Logitech mx518
logitech g5
logitech g9
logitech g500
Logitech mx revolution
Logitech MX performance
Razer Lachesis
Razer Deathadder
Razer Mamba

Out of all the mice, I hated the razer the most by far. I liked the Mamba OK, but the guy I sold it to had to RMA it, so yeah. The lachesis is a POS. The deathadder did not impress me much.

Overall, I liked all my logitech mice pretty equally, and currently on a G500. If I were you, i'd just try out both. Both the mamba and g9x. Return the one you don't like.

Squeaky scroll wheel was solved using a tutorial on Youtube. Used some clipper oil but any kind of oil or grease will work. Since I applied the oil, the mouse hasn't squeaked since November!

No skipping or jittering, I use it for Photoshop retouching which requires high precision. No other issues.

it still is ridiculous you'd have to do that.

Last edited:
I never met a perfect product, especially keyboards and mice, but sometimes little weaks are needed to make certain things right.
A bigger issue would be short battery life or no fix for jittering/skipping. Thankfully those are non-issues.

If you want to feel that you have a problem free product, just get a Logitech.

You know what, I decided that I'm just not going to get a new mouse. After reading the replies, I seem to already have three of the better mice available. So I'm just going to buy a mouse pad (qck+ or qck heavy?) and invest in a comfortable ergonomic chair.

=)

I have all of these issues unfortunately. The mouse also cuts out time to time, making me unplug and replug it in to reactivate. Incredibly annoying. I had a Razer Boomslang way back when, and had numerous issues with it as well. This will be the last Razer product I ever buy.

*wonders when Logitech will finally release a wireless gaming mouse*

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've also been thinking of getting a Mamba...it looks REALLY nice, and I have so many cords on my desk now it would just be nice to cut another one and go wireless. Currently I'm using a Logitech G5, but it's getting pretty old and the scroll wheel is starting to stick, etc. Time for an upgrade :)

I had a Mamba and I hated it. It was very comfortable and looked great, and I never experienced the squeaking wheel problem, but the jitter was more than I could stand, and the firmware updates tried to fix the problem by reducing sensitivity during low movements (they called it DPI scaling, but it resulted in the sensation of very bad acceleration).

Also, the rubberized finish Razer use on all their stuff sucks. It turns into an ugly, smeared mess in minutes (I'm sure it's not a personal hygiene thing!!!). You have to clean it all the time or it looks like ass.

I'm using a Logitech G500 and I love it. The SteelSeries Xai is even better technically, but I find the G500 more comfortable.

Never had jitter with my Mamba, but the battery life does seem fairly low. Like, it will be fully charged in the late morning and using it on and off all day will almost entirely drain it.

I bought a new replacement battery on eBay and it seems better (I got the Mamba used, so dunno how much wear was on the battery already) but it's still not amazing. They claim 3 days of normal gaming use and 14 hours of continuous gaming, but I've yet to see half that.

In any case, I've had no issues with either jitter (which I believe was fixed by firmware updates and a telfon pad around the sensor, which mine already came with but I believe Razer will send you for free) or squeaky wheel (first time I've heard of that issue), and I love the mouse. It feels just like the DeathAdder, which I also love, but is wireless, and can be wired if your battery runs out. Plus, it charges the battery while you use it wired. Pretty cool deal. And the range is pretty good, I can sit back on the couch and use it on my leg with the receiver a good 6+ feet away and it works perfectly.

So in conclusion, if you already have a DeathAdder, don't pay full price for the Mamba, but if you find a deal on it on the [H] or elsewhere (which is what I did) I consider it a worthwhile upgrade. It's also got a higher DPI than the DeathAdder, so if high sensitivity is important to you, that's a plus.

I've been using my Mamba since I bought it without problems. I updated the firmware once, it works fine. Updating the mouse can be tricky but mainly the problems are because of the user.
Bad experiences are talked about by few and good experiences are enjoyed by many.

Best mouse I've ever used and extremely comfortable.

This pretty much mirrors my experience. I have never experienced the squeaky wheel or the jitter some have reported.

i have a tendency of putting my sensitivity in game right where 'drift control' becomes most effective. sometimes if i make a quick turn, the cursor seems to lock onto the x axis and ignores the y axis for a split second

jitter seems to be remedied by cleaning out the optic with a q-tip. the laser is extremely sensitive to dust and hairs, etc. no other mechanical problems

i /typically/ play with max dpi, low sense. for example, i run 1080p, 5600dpi, 0.114 sensitivity in cs:s

i still say the diamondback was razer's best mouse; i may pick up a copperhead in hopes that it will be of the same quality, just slightly newer

as donnerfl said, this mouse IS extremely picky about mousepads. some pads you'd think would 'just work' offer ZERO tracking. this, for example.

i have a tendency of putting my sensitivity in game right where 'drift control' becomes most effective. sometimes if i make a quick turn, the cursor seems to lock onto the x axis and ignores the y axis for a split second

jitter seems to be remedied by cleaning out the optic with a q-tip. the laser is extremely sensitive to dust and hairs, etc. no other mechanical problems

i /typically/ play with max dpi, low sense. for example, i run 1080p, 5600dpi, 0.114 sensitivity in cs:s

i still say the diamondback was razer's best mouse; i may pick up a copperhead in hopes that it will be of the same quality, just slightly newer

as donnerfl said, this mouse IS extremely picky about mousepads. some pads you'd think would 'just work' offer ZERO tracking. this, for example.

YMMV, but this has not been my experience. I have used Func mouse pads, the Razer Destructor and the Megasoma. The Megasoma outlined the mouse feet and the lazer with white dust and fiber, but the Mamba never had a tracking issue. I never experienced jitter in the beginning or after any of the firmware updates.

That's older than Jebus and doesn't have the performance I'm looking for. I'm talking about a direct competitor to the Mamba minus all of the bullshit Razer has made me put up with. I'd be all over that in a second. ;)

Doesn't have the performance you're looking for? You have got to be kidding me. NO ONE would be able to tell the difference in responsiveness between the mamba and the g7 unless they were gaming on a 100hz+ CRT. If you use an LCD, forget about it mouse lag, it makes NO DIFFERENCE. Assuming you have a fast TN with an input lag of say, 10ms, you're talking 10-11ms delay with the mamba vs 12-13ms delay with the g7. No Difference.

Now say you have an FW900 and you game at 100hz, you're talking 0-1ms vs 2-3ms, which will be a much more noticeable difference.

And keep in mind, there are people who "don't notice any lag whatsoever" on LCD monitors that have 40+ms of lag.

I used to have a TN with an average delay of 2-5ms and even that was too much lag for me. Using a laggy bluetooth mouse on a crt is still faster than using the fastest gaming mouse on the planet with an lcd.

Doesn't have the performance you're looking for? You have got to be kidding me. NO ONE would be able to tell the difference in responsiveness between the mamba and the g7 unless they were gaming on a 100hz+ CRT. If you use an LCD, forget about it mouse lag, it makes NO DIFFERENCE. Assuming you have a fast TN with an input lag of say, 10ms, you're talking 10-11ms delay with the mamba vs 12-13ms delay with the g7. No Difference.

Now say you have an FW900 and you game at 100hz, you're talking 0-1ms vs 2-3ms, which will be a much more noticeable difference.

And keep in mind, there are people who "don't notice any lag whatsoever" on LCD monitors that have 40+ms of lag.

I used to have a TN with an average delay of 2-5ms and even that was too much lag for me. Using a laggy bluetooth mouse on a crt is still faster than using the fastest gaming mouse on the planet with an lcd.

To be honest, with all the problems I've had with the Mamba I've been using it corded all the time. So I couldn't comment on how much lag I experience with the wireless version. It WOULD be nice however if Logitech came out with a new wireless gaming mouse. :p

I just got a Ratpadz XT for my Mamba and it feels a lot smoother and tracks better than my old fUncpad 1030. I use the Mamba almost exclusively wireless and I've had zero issues with tracking or jitter.

Yeah, but that's kinda old and I don't like the button setup.

I've relegated my Mamba to a corded backup mouse and switched to an MX Performance for my daily work. The Mamba battery life and squeaking wheel finally annoyed me too much. Which is too bad, I like the feel of the Mamba in my hand. So it's strictly for FPSing now.

They have the G700 now!

Yeah, I probably would get a G700 if I didn't have the Performance MX at this point. I need to stop getting expensive mice every year, so I'm probably out of the mouse market until this one dies.

I am also pretty bad when it comes to getting new mice.

Here's a list of all the mice that I've purchased:

MX700
Comfort Optical 3000
MX1000
MX Revolution
VX Revolution
Sidewinder X3
Naga
Logitech G700

Performance MX was too close to my MX Revolution to warrant the upgrade.

Back