Razer Launches Their Second Phone

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Razer launched the "Razer Phone 2" today, and it retains many features that made Razer's first phone stand out. Like the original, it has a 120hz 2560x1440 LCD with support for variable refresh rate input, HDR content, and a 120hz touch sampling rate. Combined with the Snapdragon 845, a vapor chamber cooling system, and 8GB of LPDDR4X RAM, Razer seems to think its one of the most responsive Android phones on the market. While it doesn't have a headphone jack, the headset does feature stereo front firing speakers, Dolby Atmos support, and a "24-bit DAC Audio Adapter." On the back, Razer went with a wide angle/telephoto dual camera setup. Razer will paint the phone with any color you want, as long as its black, though the 64GB and 128GB models do come with different finishes, an SDCard slot, IP67 water resistance, and RGB lighting. The Razer Phone 2 starts at $799, which actually undercuts recent flagships like Google's Pixel 3 or LG's V40.

Industry-leading gaming performance meets premium flagship features-the Razer Phone 2 is the ultimate daily driver that smoothly handles your work, unleashes supreme mobile gaming power, and even lets you enjoy an unparalleled mobile entertainment experience. This time it comes with massive upgrades, featuring an upgraded processor with vapor chamber cooling, wireless charging, water resistance, and the long-awaited illuminated logo with Razer Chroma.

As much as I would like a Razer phone, no headphone jack is a deal breaker for me. It seems that the big Android manufacturers are realizing that mistake and are reintroducing jacks in their newest flagships, so here's hoping Razer follows suit on their 3rd try.

As much as I would like a Razer phone, no headphone jack is a deal breaker for me. It seems that the big Android manufacturers are realizing that mistake and are reintroducing jacks in their newest flagships, so here's hoping Razer follows suit on their 3rd try.
Yeah...but SD card slot. I am picking and choosing my battles these days.

Yeah...but SD card slot. I am picking and choosing my battles these days.
Why, not like having a newer phone is a big deal these days, hasn't been in a long time. Frankly any old phone works well enough, pick one that has what you want, don't worry about spec shaming too much as it just doesn't matter like it used to.

Yeah, no headphone jack is a deal breaker for me as well. Unless it's a Google Pixel 2 XL which I have and have to deal with. Doesn't make me happy. The needed adapter is rather pricey I think at $12 or $15 dollars, white and unsightly. All in all, that that big of a deal.

These phone guys don't understand you have to spend an ass-load of money to get good wireless headphones / earbuds. Wired? No where close.

I have the first-gen Razer phone - and I love it. Great battery life, the screen is buttery-smooth, lots of RAM for keeping all my apps open, good customization.

The only thing I wish it had was waterproofing and wireless charging, but this isn't a big enough upgrade for me to shell out the $800 for just those two features.

And yes, the lack of a headphone jack is annoying, but the dongle they include has a very nice sounding amp in it - much better than the headphone jacks in my last two phones (LG G6 and OPO3), so I find it hard to complain.

I don't know, I've been looking for an upgrade from my iphone 8, I might make the change. This phone does look pretty sexy.

well. no project linda. Im sticking with my note 9

Do people actually buy $799 phones? I mean, I use my cell phone for about 10 minutes a day on average. I have an actual computer for the internet... is that it?

Do people actually buy $799 phones? I mean, I use my cell phone for about 10 minutes a day on average. I have an actual computer for the internet... is that it?

The real question is whether people use their phones for even semi-serious gaming, since that seems to be the intended use of this phone. It took me exactly one round of Fortnite on a mobile device to decide that it was a cumbersome waste of time, and I couldn't really imagine hunkering over a phone with a keyboard and mouse...

The specs all seem really nice, although stuff like Dolby Atmos phone speakers sounds pretty stupid honestly.

These prices... I'm hoping my first gen Pixel doesn't die for a long time.

Me too. I am hoping I can buy a reduced cost pixel 3 or 4 when the 5 comes out (assuming I don't smash my current phone, which is the reason I bought the pixel 1)

I'd drop a thousand dollars on a flagship phone that had a physical height of less than 5.5" and a width of less than 2.8 and had a record or a guarantee of keeping up to date with OS releases.

I don't expect to ever see such a device anytime soon though.

I'm sure there's a market for small phones. I'm just not sure there's enough of an overlap in markets for power users who want high performance, no/few data mining features spun as AI solving problems that dont exist, and a small form factor with no regard to battery size (or god forbid, a user replaceable battery and rear cover at the expense of another mm of thickness). Not a big enough market it seems anyway.

I don't use my phone for talking on, I dont call people and people dont call me on it. But I still loath any phone that doesn't easily fit in my front jean pockets. It's just gotta be the latest cpu/gpu, decent screen quality, best camera, and the aspects i already mentioned. Maybe one day.

It will replace your TV and gaming system!

Meh... call me when you can add a head phone jack and IR blaster.... like flagships used to have...

Reactions: N4CR
like this
What is the point of a high grade DAC if there is no headphone jack? Someone help me on this as I can't figure it out.

It's somewhat useful if you run analog audio through the USB-C. Otherwise I think it's totally stupid.
If I get the signals digitally, then I should just have an external DAC instead.

What is the point of a high grade DAC if there is no headphone jack? Someone help me on this as I can't figure it out.

I was trying to figure this out too. I think they literally might just be plugging in a standalone dac into the USB port, something you can do with virtually any phone already.

Let's see if they improved the camera. That held back the first one with some buyers.

Hardware features are all well and good, but in reality it's the software you deal with when interacting with your phone. This is why I will stay with my Pixel's and Project Fi, android is absolutely stock and it couldn't be better, and is updated regularly and will be for at least 3 years.
Every addition from a carrier or a manufacturer just feels like post-it notes on top of a painting, even if they are really good, they will never integrate well. If Apple wasn't such a walled-garden of monopolistic nasty with a superior than thou attitude, they could be great, but since they are I'll stick with Google.

I think we need to bring awareness to this little fact:
courage.jpg

Courage saves you almost nothing and costs you shitty Bluetooth headsets with more batteries and interference to worry about.
Meanwhile they'll add dual damn front firing shit-speakers? Who is going to be gaming without headphones? In public or a place where you need the sound and will enjoy it? I don't enjoy cellphone sound. It's better than it used to but tiny speakers are just up against the laws of physics.

Anyway... this is what they are 'saving' in space to give you courage. It's a total load of bullshit.
I'd almost rather have no damn speaker and a headphones jack!

They want you to buy this to use their high end dac.... https://www.gearbest.com/chargers-cables/pp_1702271.html?wid=1433363&currency=USD&vip=15144957

You can do analog audio over usb-c. You just get to have fun with adapter hell.

Though, the dual speaker thing is ridiculous. They could have totally removed the bottom speaker and used the space for an in-device headphone jack or micro-sd or smaller device size. Any of those would be better than an additional useless speaker.

Reactions: TAP
like this
The real question is whether people use their phones for even semi-serious gaming, since that seems to be the intended use of this phone. It took me exactly one round of Fortnite on a mobile device to decide that it was a cumbersome waste of time, and I couldn't really imagine hunkering over a phone with a keyboard and mouse...

The specs all seem really nice, although stuff like Dolby Atmos phone speakers sounds pretty stupid honestly.

Mobile E-Sports

hmm... I'm going to wait till this hits a real bargain price and then turn it into my gym phone. I'll wait to see/hear the BT performance just to make sure its not a lame duck.

Looks like they've laid off their mobile division staff and shut down any plans for future Razer phones

Back