Razer is launching a prepaid credit card

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.razer.com/razer-card

1337 people in the beta, because of course they'd cap it at that. 🙄🙄

I find it most amusing that it's a prepaid card, not a normal credit card; because prepaid cards are normally only for people whose credit is too bad to get a post-paid account; so you'll be in an elite group of people if you get the card. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Comes with exactly 1 Frag Harder Disco bLight; which means your card will be outdated and need replaced after a year or so when the new model comes out with two of them, and then again a year later when they release a card with a half dozen of them that change color based on how much you just spent.

*Currently open to Singapore only, participants must be 16 years old and above, other terms and conditions of the program apply.

You need a +65 number, and probably a singapore address to ship to, and maybe singapore banking to add money. 1% cashback on a dorky novelty card isn't too bad though. 2% at fidelity is better, but the card doesn't light up.

*Currently open to Singapore only, participants must be 16 years old and above, other terms and conditions of the program apply.

You need a +65 number, and probably a singapore address to ship to, and maybe singapore banking to add money. 1% cashback on a dorky novelty card isn't too bad though. 2% at fidelity is better, but the card doesn't light up.
That’s quite lame.

I think it could be a quality credit card depending on the customer wanting to use it. Leads me to ask this though: We've already had 1 gaming-themed credit card. GameStop's credit card. It isn't a good one and its introductory APR interest rate is ass (28.99% last I checked). How much more benefit to the gamer would this card provide compared to GameStop's? Is the introductory APR better at least? Out!

Good luck getting help with a bad purchase!
(especially a mouse ;))

This is like marketing cigarettes to kids...and that worked out REALLY WELL for like 50+ years here in the states......so I totally get it.

I think it could be a quality credit card depending on the customer wanting to use it. Leads me to ask this though: We've already had 1 gaming-themed credit card. GameStop's credit card. It isn't a good one and its introductory APR interest rate is ass (28.99% last I checked). How much more benefit to the gamer would this card provide compared to GameStop's? Is the introductory APR better at least? Out!

There's no APR. This is a pre-paid card, which means instead of spending money and getting a bill at the end of the month, you transfer money from your bank account to the card - which lets the card operator make money by using it to buy short term bonds/etc - and then can spend if off your card down to a $0 balance again.

There's no APR. This is a pre-paid card, which means instead of spending money and getting a bill at the end of the month, you transfer money from your bank account to the card - which lets the card operator make money by using it to buy short term bonds/etc - and then can spend if off your card down to a $0 balance again.

Prepaid credit card is kind of a misnomer. It's basically a debit card through the Bank of Razer or whatever provider they are using. There is no "credit" being extended.

Prepaid credit card is kind of a misnomer. It's basically a debit card through the Bank of Razer or whatever provider they are using. There is no "credit" being extended.

well it’s still a credit card; it’s just you providing the line of credit to Razer.

The difference between a prepaid credit card and a debit card is whose networks the transaction is processed through. CC networks charge higher fees than bank networks. Which is why CC companies can afford to offer 1% rewards; they's paid for out of the larger fees that are charged.

I find it most amusing that it's a prepaid card, not a normal credit card; because prepaid cards are normally only for people whose credit is too bad to get a post-paid account; so you'll be in an elite group of people if you get the card. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I'm not arguing your point in general, I think you are probably right. But I recently got a pre-paid credit card for paying for stuff online....the more shadier companies (like file sharing). That way if they try to over charge, or my card info gets stolen I don't have to worry too much.

Came in to make the joke about it having rgb, joke was on me when I saw it did actually light up.

Singapore does have a ton of incredibly well off nerds, I can see it working there. Sadly.

Personally instead of Google Pay on the phone I have rather been thinking of going NFC & waterproof ring route as payment device for daily life for the added coolness & convenience factor (no charging required and don't have to reach for my phone in my pocket). Cards are getting so last season in my book that I would ideally like to not have to carry my slim debit card wallet around locally, even RGB cannot save them! Although I don't want to get a mastercard for that perk alone, maybe it gets expanded to other card options soon.

https://www.razer.com/razer-card

1337 people in the beta, because of course they'd cap it at that. 🙄🙄

Comes with exactly 1 Frag Harder Disco bLight; which means your card will be outdated and need replaced after a year or so when the new model comes out with two of them, and then again a year later when they release a card with a half dozen of them that change color based on how much you just spent.
It makes a lot more sense as their isn't as much risk involved with a pre-paid. Also, pre-paids aren't just for people with bad credit. Some people don't like carrying cash or having a card tied directly to their savings/checking and prefer to use prepaids. If they lose it or it gets stolen, they are only out a small amount. Also it's a good way to give kids an allowance nowadays which allows them to make online purchases (and again, it's not tied directly to your bank account). Anyways, I doubt I'll be picking one up anytime soon for myself, but I think my son would get a kick out of it.

edit - beta only available for singapore... well, that's not useful for me.

Last edited:
Many lenders don't like seeing these cards on your credit history. Doesn't prove you are reliable borrowing money, because you aren't actually borrowing. It also makes it looks like other creditors don't trust you. An automated credit check wouldn't care, but people that review your file when you apply for mortgages or vehicle loans may care a lot. I have worked with enough finance people to know. Better to stay away from them completely IMO

Many lenders don't like seeing these cards on your credit history. Doesn't prove you are reliable borrowing money, because you aren't actually borrowing. It also makes it looks like other creditors don't trust you. An automated credit check wouldn't care, but people that review your file when you apply for mortgages or vehicle loans may care a lot. I have worked with enough finance people to know. Better to stay away from them completely IMO

I have several prepaid debit cards for various purposes, and I also check my credit report weekly. Not a single one of the prepaid cards is on any of the three reporting agencies.

That logo lighting up is nifty.

Bet Visa and all their buddies wish they had thought of that first. :LOL:

I have several prepaid debit cards for various purposes, and I also check my credit report weekly. Not a single one of the prepaid cards is on any of the three reporting agencies.

There are two kinds of prepaid. Prepaid Secured and Prepaid Unsecured. (There is non prepaid secured as well, but I'm not referring to those.) Yours are obviously unsecured.

Prepaid Secured do report every month. Mind you, I don't know what kind Razer is planning on doing.

I mean, brings a new use for the phrase "What's in your wallet?" because if it glows I know to just walk away.

Back