Razer Deathadder 3.5G vs. Deathadder Black Edition vs. Logitech G400 vs. Mionix Naos

1-anh

Weaksauce
As the title indicates I am interested in purchasing a new mouse to replace my logitech G5 which I have owned for 7 or 8 years now. The choices I have listed are above, I would like to hear what people have used and prefer between the ones I have listed above. I am partial to the logitech since I have been very impressed with their reliability and customer service over the years, however if the razer or mionix mice are better for the same price I am okay with trying a new brand.

I use an original DeathAdder 3G and I like it, but I feel that Logitech mice are better built and will simply last longer.

That said...I guess I just like the DeathAdder shape (However I also really like the Logitech side-scrolling wheel function).

The newer Deathadders seem to use the same 3888 sensor.
The g400 has been reported as having but two good C.P.I. steps.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1282935/adns-3090-and-varieties-which-cpi-are-useful

The Naos 5000 uses an Avago 9500 laser sensor, so it has positive acceleration, and I do not recommend that.
The Naos 3200's sensor has prediction/correction, as it has the same sensor as the MX-518, so I do not recommend that one either.
http://forums.pureoverclock.com/reviews-articles/10724-mionix-naos-3200-gaming-mouse.html

Cooler Master should have their Recon released soon:
http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/Recon/

Cooler Master's Spawn has had a lot of firmware updates, and the Recon will use the same sensor, so the Recon should receive all of those applicable updates too!

I might get a Spawn . . .

As the title indicates I am interested in purchasing a new mouse to replace my logitech G5 which I have owned for 7 or 8 years now. The choices I have listed are above, I would like to hear what people have used and prefer between the ones I have listed above. I am partial to the logitech since I have been very impressed with their reliability and customer service over the years, however if the razer or mionix mice are better for the same price I am okay with trying a new brand.

you can forget about logitech reliability, is gone, its just overpriced made-in-china crap nowadays, be ready to exchange the product at least two times in the 3 year warranty, a quick search on the web will give you an idea what is logitech these days. i still have my G5, used it for six years and still works, now i'm using a G700 and within 6 months of use is starting to double click and fail, i'm using it, but i don't recommend.

Ahh geez...that's a shame... my mx510 lasted for 5+ years.

I still like the g9x, however.

The newer Deathadders seem to use the same 3888 sensor.
The g400 has been reported as having but two good C.P.I. steps.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1282935/adns-3090-and-varieties-which-cpi-are-useful

The Naos 5000 uses an Avago 9500 laser sensor, so it has positive acceleration, and I do not recommend that.
The Naos 3200's sensor has prediction/correction, as it has the same sensor as the MX-518, so I do not recommend that one either.
http://forums.pureoverclock.com/reviews-articles/10724-mionix-naos-3200-gaming-mouse.html

Cooler Master should have their Recon released soon:
http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/Recon/

Cooler Master's Spawn has had a lot of firmware updates, and the Recon will use the same sensor, so the Recon should receive all of those applicable updates too!

I might get a Spawn . . .

I haven't heard of the recon but it looks like a much better shape to me than the spawn. Thanks for the heads up.

D4rkn3ss said:
you can forget about logitech reliability, is gone, its just overpriced made-in-china crap nowadays, be ready to exchange the product at least two times in the 3 year warranty, a quick search on the web will give you an idea what is logitech these days. i still have my G5, used it for six years and still works, now i'm using a G700 and within 6 months of use is starting to double click and fail, i'm using it, but i don't recommend.

That is really unfortunate to hear that their reliability has gone down in the past few years, my G5 has lasted me so long that I would have assumed that their newer products are just as reliable as their former ones. Has anyone else experienced a decrease in reliability with the G400?

I'm on my 4th G400, the fucking cable keeps breaking.

There's literally no visible damage whatsoever, I specifically tried to handle my last one with kid gloves but nope, same shit after a while. The cable mysteriously manages to get borked near where it enters the mouse. Again, there's no visible damage, it looks flawless. I've never snagged the cord once or anything like that. Once the mouse starts cutting out, that's the beginning of the end.

Thankfully logitech keeps replacing it. But seriously, what the fuck is wrong with the cord? The mx518 had the same problem... aka exactly how mine died and why I decided to get a g400 in the first place. Like holy shit Logitech, just braid the cable or some shit -- reinforce it somehow, because it's made out of rice paper as it stands.

I'm on my 4th G400, the fucking cable keeps breaking.

There's literally no visible damage whatsoever, I specifically tried to handle my last one with kid gloves but nope, same shit after a while. The cable mysteriously manages to get borked near where it enters the mouse. Again, there's no visible damage, it looks flawless. I've never snagged the cord once or anything like that. Once the mouse starts cutting out, that's the beginning of the end.

Thankfully logitech keeps replacing it. But seriously, what the fuck is wrong with the cord? The mx518 had the same problem... aka exactly how mine died and why I decided to get a g400 in the first place. Like holy shit Logitech, just braid the cable or some shit -- reinforce it somehow, because it's made out of rice paper as it stands.

=\ I don't think I am rough with my mice but if the cable keeps on breaking do you think the deathadder would be the better decision? I would be somewhat frustrated having to get a new mouse every few months from logitech

The new R.A.T.3, Saphira, EVO, AM, and Valor use the same sensor (Avago 3090), which seems to be the best, as mine and many others' opinions, but some have questionable firmwares.

the updated batch of G400 are prediction free, including mine. It's been like this for the past 5+ months

the updated batch of G400 are prediction free, including mine. It's been like this for the past 5+ months

Does your mouse suffer from disconnecting and reconnecting? I read in the logitech forums that the G400 has a common problem with its frail cable

What is its updated sensor?

If it is the 3095, how did they disable prediction?

"Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore
The G400 uses an Avago S3095 which is basically an Avago ADNS-3090 with prediction you can't turn off and slightly higher dpi. I'm happy about everything in this mouse except for the prediction."

1-anh - no problems with the cord on the G400. When I got the mice I also bought a new Func Archetype mousepad that has a cord clip. I used on on my previous Func 1030 pad so my cord doesn't catch along the edge of my desk. The cord is definitely thinner than my MX518 but so far it's holding up like a champ.

L4d- Not sure what the updated sensor is but here's a link to OC forums that also links to the Logitech forums about angle snapping/prediction free G400's. Click here I put the G400 side by side and can tell a difference between the 2. I never had any problems with prediction but I can definitely tell you now that I owned both I prefer the G400 more.

Last edited:
I know this thread is a couple months old, but I would like to make it clear that the sensor branding between the high end Avago model 3x6x+ sensors is almost meaningless. It's more or less the same sensor architecture used in all mice. Yes that means S3888 is no different from the predecessor S3668.. S3080... and even 309x models.

In terms of "3090" mice. I also wouldn't rely on sensor information alone. Surrounding Hardware/firrmare quality is very important.

I know this thread is a couple months old, but I would like to make it clear that the sensor branding between the high end Avago model 3x6x+ sensors is almost meaningless. It's more or less the same sensor architecture used in all mice. Yes that means S3888 is no different from the predecessor S3668.. S3080... and even 309x models.

In terms of "3090" mice. I also wouldn't rely on sensor information alone. Surrounding Hardware/firrmare quality is very important.
I appreciate your post! Do you know about the Cooler Master Spawn having a 12 bit data path, and would that make a noticeable difference between it and 16?
http://www.overclock.net/t/1138575/cm-spawn-or-xornet-what-are-the-differences/230

What do you mean by the following quote? " . . . the sensor branding between the high end Avago model 3x6x+ sensors is almost meaningless. It's more or less the same sensor architecture used in all mice. Yes that means S3888 is no different from the predecessor S3668.. S3080... and even 309x models."

Do those sensors have different programed C.P.I. settings but nothing else?

Thank you!

I've found this:
http://www.overclock.net/t/854100/mouse-sensor-technology-guide-v2-0

Last edited:
The Spawn is fine now. It went through some firmware changes, basically get the latest one and its good to go. Its shape is pretty unique. I've been using it since it came out.

The sensor in it is good, Recon will have the same sensor but that mouse is literally brand new, on amazon but not on newegg yet, so too early to say if it has any issues.

Forget about all those acceleration and stuff..

get mionix naos... doesnt matter which one. They are well built and quality mice. I recommend using a hardmat rather than a cloth one.

Back