Razer Built A Laptop With Three 4K Screens

HardOCP News

[H] News
It seems like every few years someone comes out with a triple screen laptop. This year it is Razer. The company is showing off Project Valerie at CES 2017 they say in hopes of getting feedback from the community.

This would be awesome for people who get stuck in a hotel for weeks at a time for work.

Then again, trying to game at 3x4k with a single 1080 is going to be a bit painful unless you're a fan of slide shows.

Of course, you could always game on the center screen, have your e-mail on the left and watch Netflix on the right...

This would probably make a nice workstation than gaming system. One 1080 can hardly drive a single 4K with games maxes out, much less 3 4K screens. At that screen size having a 4K screen also kind of makes little sense. I'd wager having triple 1440p or 1080p would have made logical sense given installed graphics hardware, but yeah it wouldn't sound cool. This is almost like iMacs with 5K screens and low end mobile or integrated graphics. Ultimately we all know this is more for show and to say we did it than production system. However even having said that, Acer's 21" SLI "laptop" with dual chargers still makes more sense as it can at least fully deliver in gaming department.

This would probably make a nice workstation than gaming system. One 1080 can hardly drive a single 4K with games maxes out, much less 3 4K screens. At that screen size having a 4K screen also kind of makes little sense. I'd wager having triple 1440p or 1080p would have made logical sense given installed graphics hardware, but yeah it wouldn't sound cool. This is almost like iMacs with 5K screens and low end mobile or integrated graphics. Ultimately we all know this is more for show and to say we did it than production system. However even having said that, Acer's 21" SLI "laptop" with dual chargers still makes more sense as it can at least fully deliver in gaming department.

Except that Acer's laptop will cost almost $10,500 US

You can get a decked out MSI with dual 1080s from Newegg for over $6,000 less than what Acer is saying the price will be on theirs.

Since I travel a lot for work this will finally solve my gaming addiction on the road.

I cannot wait to open that bad girl up on a 4 hour flight in coach!!!! Gotta get the middle seat for sure!

Be sure to come back and tell us how long it takes the doctors to get that triple-screen laptop out of your rear end. :D

this would make for a really cool and useful mobile programming setup -- color me intrigued.

No, it is not. I have a laptop at work that has a 15" 4k screen.

It is absolutely unusable unless I set the scaling to 200%

Agreed. And by doing so, you run into a ton of apps that don't properly support scaling.

Take Adobe for example. Photoshop has 100% or 200% mode, no in-between. So if you happen to be using a DPI that needs 150% for usability, you're either too big or too small - adding the config hack to force Windows to rescale it throws off the pixel size.

I went with a 4k 40" for my desktop. I should have sprung for the 4k 43". As I get stuck in a limbo - either I have to sit close and use native scaling, but get bad color grading, and have to turn my head. Or I sit back and have to scale, so I'm essentially using a large 1440p. I seriously considered selling it as the 1440p (native) HP panel it replaced was far superior. Only advantage the 4k gives is my GFX card can run 1080p games full screen with a proper 4:1 pixel ratio.

Last edited:
I'd like a 3-screen laptop that has 3 of those new 2.9mm thick OLED screens, even at 1080p resolution. At least the laptop could be "reasonably" thin and light...relatively.

I'm probably not the target market... but I think 4k would be ok assuming you can game with all 3 screens actually running at 1080p which a 1080 should be able to handle. The desktop scaling stuff can be an issue though. I find it works well enough for what I've used but I'm sure people aren't making it up when they say it doesn't work for them in their scenario.

this would be awesome for work. that way when I go into the office or work somewhere other than my house I don't need to suffer using just one puny laptop screen. I can keep using 3 no matter where I am.

they should just make a cheaper version is that 1080p on all 3.

Short clip if it... really shows how big it is.

Girthy. Only gamers who are professional road warriors need apply. Also, probably like $5000

With only 1 1080? I would almost not run the 3 screens in 1080p with a single 1080, let alone 3 4k's...

I want this laptop as a mobile workstation. For gaming it's pointless. Laptop gpus can barely keep up with one screen.
Besides no matter where I go for work I never have time to play games in a hotel anyway.

I've messed around with a couple 4K laptops. I'll stick with 1080p, thank you very much. 1440p high refresh (90+) would seem like the max I'd want in a mobile PC platform, but to each their own...

I've messed around with a couple 4K laptops. I'll stick with 1080p, thank you very much.

I also came to this conclusion after trying a few 4k screens. I can definitely see the benefit on +65" TVs sitting across the room, but for a 27", or even 32" desktop monitor 1-2' from your face...everything was too small. By the time I finished adjusting the scaling, mouse acceleration, and other things there was little difference from a 1080p screen.

Back