Razer Blackwidow Keyboards Worth it?

demize

Limp Gawd
Is a razer blackwidow keyboard worth having if it was free? Or should I consider looking into something different?

They are very good mechanical gaming keyboards. I have one as do many here.

The one I have is alright. It was the first mechanical keyboard I purchased. There are pros and cons to everything though.
Pros:
Solid Metal Backplate
Cheap (doesn't matter in your case)
USB and audio/mic passthroughs
Nice thick cable
Cons:
I do not like the stock keycaps
It screams gaming keyboard
I do not like costar stabilizers

I don't understand why you would turn down a free mechanical keyboard. Try it out and if you don't like it give it back.

Of the three mechs I have owned, the Razer build quality was inferior to the Deck and Ducky. I also didn't care for the blue switches, but that's more of a personal preference thing. However, the keys on the Razer had a slight "wobble" to them, while the Deck and Ducky are built like tanks. I ended up returning the Razer because I felt it was overpriced.

Thanks guys, Defiintely going to stick with the one I am currently using and sell the other one. What do you think a Razer Blackwidow keyboard used would go for now a days? Model number RZ03-0038

The space bar on it sticks a bit though here and there but other than that it works great, And has a rugged kinda look with a flat black face plate.

I have a RZ03-0039.... bought it cause I have a fry's close by... and I did 0 research on the subject. In hindsight I probably would have purchased something different but I really don't have a lot of complaints about the keyboard. As long as you keep that friggin synapse or wtf ever off your computer.

I had an absolutely HORRIBLE experience with Razer customer service on the Blackwidow Ultimate I bought brand new last year. The keyboard went dead after a month and it took two months of back-and-forth for Razer to ultimately issue me a lower-spec model as a replacement.

Decent product, PLAGUED with QC issues and abysmal customer service.

razer makes awesome looking products..
but i have had horrible experience with them.

i bought the bf3 edition black widow keyboard + mouse, both died within like 6 months
the new black widows chroma looks very temping, but idk if i can really bring myself to buy it
maxresdefault.jpg

I had the original Blackwidow and after about a year maybe less the keys would start double tapping themselves. I removed the problematic keys, cleaned them with alcohol and it would fix it for a few weeks but eventually the problem would come back and more keys started doing the same thing.

I then picked up the Chroma Blackwidow and really liked it although besides being able to do different color LED's I wasn't able to tell a difference. Also the Chroma has Razer's own branded Green switches. They felt pretty much the same as the Cherry MX Green switches that my original Blackwidow had.

I've since moved onto a Ducky Mini Year of the Horse edition and I love it. ONLY reason I switched was because I needed more desk real estate and the Blackwidow tournament edition doesn't come in Chroma yet.

Build quality of the Blackwidow is VERY good. Zero flex in the keyboard and it won't move around on your desk when your gaming.

My personally prefer using the Corsair K70 Mechanical Cherry MX Red Keyboard. They are extremely comfortable and I really really do like Cherry MX Red switches....

If you are paying for a keyboard there are other, better constructed mechanical keyboards for the same money or even cheaper depending on what you are looking for. If you are getting one free, it could warrant thinking about it.

Been using a Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth for about a week now. Not quite stealth level in terms of noise reduction from the switches, but a solid keyboard overall. My only gripe is the weight of the keyboard.

Can't get used to my Ultimate Stealth after using a cheap Belkin split keyboard for years. I've only had it for over a week, but I keep hitting the wrong keys and accidentally hitting Enter and CTRL while gaming. The matte finish is wearing off around the arrow keys. Not worth $100.

I have the Ultimate Stealth. I love it. Still getting used to the keys coming from many years with a Microsoft keyboard. I put orings on all the keys to reduce noise and travel. Helps my typing rhythm quite a bit.

bwuskeycaps.jpg

Personally love the feel of the razer 'green' keys

i plan of buying my fake internet girlfriend one as soon she is done with her modeling gig in paris

I'll just say that I avoid Razer.

They make cool LOOKING products with absolutely shitty production values and QC.

And it's pretty much been this way since the days of the first Razer mice.

There are better, more deserving vendors for your money.

It depends on who you ask. I've had several razer products, and haven't really had a bad experience.I have a black widow 2013 I put some o-rings to dampen the sound. Been using it for a few over year now, so far its been solid.

For free anything is worth having. For free you might as well get it and see how it holds and form your own opinion about razer.

I have a Blackwidow, but I wish I bought the stealth version. Now that the Chroma has been out, I wish I would have waited.

Back