Razer Atheris Boasts 350 Hours of Battery Life

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Razer is launching a new wireless notebook mouse that can supposedly last half a month of continuous use on a single pair of AA batteries: the Atheris not only offers the world’s longest-lasting battery life (among mobile productivity mice with gaming-grade features) but lag-free wireless gaming-grade performance.

The Razer Atheris is equipped with Razer’s proprietary wireless Adaptive Frequency Technology (AFT) providing industry-leading transmission for the most reliable, stable connection. AFT is enabled through a compact USB dongle that stores away conveniently in the mouse, and Bluetooth LE connectivity is also available for devices without a USB port. With a 7200 DPI optical sensor, the Razer Atheris is capable of blazing accuracy across multiple high-resolution monitors and provides the unfair advantage when it comes to work or play.

I read that title three times.

The first two times my brain autocorrected this products name to the Razer Arthritis...

...which if you ever had the misfortune of using the original Razer Boomslang ball mouse from back in ~2000 is a surprisingly appropriate name for a Razer product :p

...and only 2 additional buttons. Why do so few "gaming" mice have decent ancillary buttons?

...and only 2 additional buttons. Why do so few "gaming" mice have decent ancillary buttons?

Well, your other hand is typically resting on a keyboard. :p

The idea of more mouse buttons always appealed to me, but in practice, I use LB, RB, and the wheel, and rarely even use the wheel as a button. I just assign more keys on the KB typically. The placement of extra buttons on a lot of "gaming" mice usually make me have to move in an unnatural way to hit them, or hold the mouse in a way that I don't find comfortable. That's not to say that maybe someone could fix that with a really good design, but I've never seen it yet.

Pretty much the reason why I am still using a G700.

The idea of more mouse buttons always appealed to me, but in practice, I use LB, RB, and the wheel, and rarely even use the wheel as a button. I just assign more keys on the KB typically. The placement of extra buttons on a lot of "gaming" mice usually make me have to move in an unnatural way to hit them, or hold the mouse in a way that I don't find comfortable. That's not to say that maybe someone could fix that with a really good design, but I've never seen it yet.

There is truth in that, though for games like ArmA 3 I found the extra buttons to be extremely useful - I just mapped them to keyboard keys that were not easily accessible and off I went. I find the layout of the G700 to be very comfortable for the additional buttons.

But yeah, unfortunately games are trending toward controller-based controls so less and less keyboard and mouse buttons seem to be used anyway.

There is truth in that, though for games like ArmA 3 I found the extra buttons to be extremely useful - I just mapped them to keyboard keys that were not easily accessible and off I went. I find the layout of the G700 to be very comfortable for the additional buttons.

But yeah, unfortunately games are trending toward controller-based controls so less and less keyboard and mouse buttons seem to be used anyway.

Those G700 index finger buttons look like they might be ok for me. Interesting mouse. The ones on the side though, never quite line up with my thumb, fingers. I've got the old MS Sidewinder mouse (that looks like it was ripped out of the back of a Star Wars blaster or something :D ) It actually feels good in my hand, but the side buttons are nearly useless to me just because of where they're located.

I find the G700/G700S to be pretty ideal. 4 thumb buttons and 3 additional forefinger buttons. I haven't been happy with much else, hence my constant disappointment when mice only have the bare minimum number of buttons.

Personally, I don't like having to do 800 functions with my left hand (in a sea of random buttons) while my right hand only gets 5. It's also very weird for anyone that comes from the days of using a joystick with your left while your right hand is the main "button" hand.

I find the G700/G700S to be pretty ideal. 4 thumb buttons and 3 additional forefinger buttons. I haven't been happy with much else, hence my constant disappointment when mice only have the bare minimum number of buttons.

Personally, I don't like having to do 800 functions with my left hand (in a sea of random buttons) while my right hand only gets 5. It's also very weird for anyone that comes from the days of using a joystick with your left while your right hand is the main "button" hand.

Yeah, I get it. I can definitely see the point of more buttons, and in some cases could find them useful. I just haven't owned one yet that felt good to me, so I've just calibrated my play-style toward more buttonry on the left hand.

I had a G700s but the battery life was so abysmal due to it not having a decent internal Li-Ion battery, but instead an AA NiMh, it spent most of its life connected with the USB cable, so really there was little point and I could have gone for a good corded mouse. I suppose if you're much more disciplined with regards plugging it in every day to charge, then it's a different story.

I had a G700s but the battery life was so abysmal due to it not having a decent internal Li-Ion battery, but instead an AA NiMh, it spent most of its life connected with the USB cable, so really there was little point and I could have gone for a good corded mouse. I suppose if you're much more disciplined with regards plugging it in every day to charge, then it's a different story.

Yeah, that is the only downside to it. I put an Enerloop Pro in there and the battery life is good enough to get a couple days of heavy gaming out of it, but I do plug it in regularly as well.

i guess if you use it for gaming. I use wired mouse for gaming. My wireless mouse is for production/tasks with the laptop and after 3 years, I didn't change the battery, yet still works. Just keep turning it off after each use too, that helps.

I actually like a heavier mouse. I used to have one that allowed you to insert little weights to get it to feel just right. I actually preferred to have most of them in.

Back