Raw RMA deal from OCZ?

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
Got a 4GB kit of DDR3 1333 OCZ ram (the nice stuff with the fancy spreaders, not the standard stuff) that was purchased about two years ago when ram prices were crazy.

The ram cost £85 ($136) at the time but one stick has now failed.

I contacted OCZ due to the warranty and they apparently no longer ship RAM out as replacements. All they do is offer 'market value' cash sums.

Seems a bit odd.

They have offered just £14 ($22) as a payment instead of a replacement.

However, in order to get back to the situation I was in before it failed that's going to cost around £35 ($56) for the current equivalent 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz set.

Seems rather sucky to me. Any thoughts? I'd be happy with £35 or a similar replacement set.

In every other RMA scenario (Corsair/WD/BFG etc.) I've always been offered a direct replacement or something of equivalent value that's available at the time.

Yeah, that's bullshit. And yet one more example to avoid OCZ products at any cost.

I'd just keep leaning on them until they cave and give you a replacement. There is no excuse for screwing over your customers when they know as a company that their brand image is rather shitty right now... they should be bending over backwards to become a viable namesake again and build a positive reputation.

I contacted OCZ due to the warranty and they apparently no longer ship RAM out as replacements. All they do is offer 'market value' cash sums.

Seems a bit odd.

Remember that OCZ no longer makes ram modules so if they have no ram left they can only refund you some money.

However, in order to get back to the situation I was in before it failed that's going to cost around £35 ($56) for the current equivalent 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz set.

That seems like a crazy high price to me however I do realize prices are much cheaper here in the US for components.

I would complain that they are not offering enough money to replace your current ram in your country.

Is it legal in the UK for companies to change the terms of a warranty after the fact, without the consumer's consent? In the US, that's allowed only if the company goes bankrupt.

Would your credit card help? Because you bought a lifetime warranty but didn't get it.

I'd publicize this on every social media outlet available.

My last purchase of OCZ memory was their Gold DDR2, and it wasn't until the third sample that I got something that tested OK. Each time I went back to the store, I met somebody else returning the same product.

I had OCZ SSDs before that failed and I was able to get them to give me fair market value. They low balled me on the initial offer. Contact them again and let them know that their offer is below market value and you won't take anything less than fair market value.

I have written back stating that I am disappointed with their initial offer and that in the past I have been given a like for like or goods of equal value/performance.

I also pointed out that an offer of £14 means that after P&P I would have about £10 to spend on ram. If they can point me to a new source of equal quality ram for that price I would be most grateful.

Right they have come back saying I can buy ram for £14.04 as they quoted and have given me a link to some Kingston HyperX which is indeed £14.04.

However, that doesn't include VAT and P&P which then totals to £24.65. Leaving me £10.65 out of pocket for daring to buy their product.

I have to say this is the worst RMA returns I have come across.

that sucks they aren't giving you the half of what you originally spent on the ram. keep pushing for the proper value after shipping costs, don't back down!

also, don't they realize mixing ram is counterproductive to OCD? i would hate to mix ram brands/speeds/timings! i won't even put more ram in my old ddr1 system because it won't match, which that ram is OCZ btw, wonder what they would give me for fair market value if one of those sticks passed away.

Right they have come back saying I can buy ram for £14.04 as they quoted and have given me a link to some Kingston HyperX which is indeed £14.04.

However, that doesn't include VAT and P&P which then totals to £24.65. Leaving me £10.65 out of pocket for daring to buy their product.

I have to say this is the worst RMA returns I have come across.
They're committing fraud because if they still exchanged RAM, you wouldn't have to pay VAT and probably not P&P for their shipment to you.

That is a raw deal.

I would grab some Corsair or G.Skill ram. I haven't had any trouble from either.

They have now come back and said they will offer £20.......but I have to send the ram back at my own expense.

So that still works out at around £14.00!!!!!

Does anyone here know any reps from OCZ that actually understands proper customer service or do I have to post this situation up on every forum in the SSD section as a warning to others about their superb customer care?

that sucks they aren't giving you the half of what you originally spent on the ram. keep pushing for the proper value after shipping costs, don't back down!

also, don't they realize mixing ram is counterproductive to OCD? i would hate to mix ram brands/speeds/timings! i won't even put more ram in my old ddr1 system because it won't match, which that ram is OCZ btw, wonder what they would give me for fair market value if one of those sticks passed away.

Don't be afraid of mixing RAM types. It works just fine.

Well I went back and told them unless they deal with me properly I would post up what has happened on every major hardware forum (in the SSD section) to make folks maybe think twice about the help they could receive further down the line.

They have now agreed to pay me what I asked for. It was the minimum they could get away with but I didnt want to let them get away with next to nothing.

Would I buy OCZ gear again? Nope.

Luckily none of their gear is in any of my main machines.

Well I went back and told them unless they deal with me properly I would post up what has happened on every major hardware forum (in the SSD section) to make folks maybe think twice about the help they could receive further down the line.

They have now agreed to pay me what I asked for. It was the minimum they could get away with but I didnt want to let them get away with next to nothing.

Would I buy OCZ gear again? Nope.

Luckily none of their gear is in any of my main machines.

Wow that's crazy. I wish I would have thought of telling them that when they told me they wouldn't repair my Vertex 2 for any price that was manufactured within the warranty window.

Well this is the thing. Sometimes as consumers we don't realise the power we have now to tell others potential customers about how bad things can get.

Companies really cant gamble on and ignore that one customers complaint could become the next Facebook/Twitter trend and hit them hard.

I remember a few years ago a big company fitted my central heating system and did a really bad job. I complained and basically told them I wasn't paying for it. They then said they would knock like 5% off the bill.

I then calmly told them that unless they sorted it to my satisfaction I would go on every single plumbing, heating and DIY site/forum in the country showing the damage and incompetent job they did. In doing so they would be lucky if they could fit a tap within a month of me doing it.

They rolled over straight away.

Rayyy they paid me £25....well £24.40 after currency exchange charges. Thanks OCZ, real classy!

Rayyy they paid me £25....well £24.40 after currency exchange charges. Thanks OCZ, real classy!

At least you got back what a set of comparable-performance DDR3 memory would cost you today. That was the best they could do, given that OCZ no longer sells memory modules. Earlier, they would have only given you enough money for a set of the cheapest available DDR3 memory of the same amount.

Back