Raw Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotch77

Gawd
I am on my Pc in my sig. I dont game to much anymore, just Cs 1.6, which to me is the only worthwhile game playing.

I want my new pc to just be a Monster in terms of power. I want the system to be vgery responsive and be able to run intensive programs without a problem.

Is a dual core system something if want?

would I want a Xeon system?

just some tips would be great.

Im pretty biased for Intel, I dont think id ever buy an AMD, as They feel sluggish to me.

Scotch77 said:
Im pretty biased for Intel, I dont think id ever buy an AMD, as They feel sluggish to me.

I want some of the drugs you're doing. I could use hallucinations like that.

Raw power, hands down, Opteron 256's period.

2 Opterons with 2 sets of dual channel memory is about the fastest youll get

plus, install linux for added performance boosts :D

well, you must have used AMD a long time ago or some on a crappy system

OpterOWN's are the way to go for dual core right now

unless you want to be cheap and then get Intel 805 - and overclock em like mad.

For raw power there is no such thing as intel. They've got fast clock speeds, but that's basically it. AMD has simply the most destructively-powerful processors on the market right now. Say what you will about conroe, but AMD has my money hands down. Get a pair of opterons, replace the stock coolers, and overclock em. You're not goin to get much more power than that right now.

Im sorry guys but id really rather a 600mhz intel over a any AMD. even for free I wouldent use it because I dont supoport them. But thats just me.

Scotch77 said:
Im sorry guys but id really rather a 600mhz intel over a any AMD. even for free I wouldent use it because I dont supoport them. But thats just me.

That's unfortunate. Your loss though.

Scotch77 said:

wow, thats a pretty ignorant statement.

Hi guys,
I want to buy a fast car for track racing. It should be fast off the line, and have a high top speed. But I only like Hondas. What should I buy?

Answer: Hondas don't have memory bandwidth for track racing, and they're not nearly as fast as $GOODCAR.

But I'd take a Honda over even a free $GOODCAR! Surely that means something?

Answer: Nope. $GOODCAR is still better.

If you're not planning on spending at *least* $3k on this system, you're in the wrong forum. I'm sure the GenHard folks can find you a compromise system.

Scotch77 said:

There is a reason Intel is losing market share to AMD, and it's not because AMD has an inferior product.

Scotch77 said:
I am on my Pc in my sig. I dont game to much anymore, just Cs 1.6, which to me is the only worthwhile game playing.

Speaks volumes... :p

Scotch77 said:

I'm usually not so quick to start the name-calling, but you sound like a moron. Read any reviews on gaming and they will result in the favor of AMD64. I'm not talking months from now when Core2 hits, I'm talking about in the present.

If you honestly would rather have a far inferior Intel chip than an AMD , then I have just the thing. I'll send you a PIII Xeon 550 for absolutely free in the mail, and we'll all laugh when it takes you 6 hours to install XP.

Honestly though, 8 people (which by the way know more than you do about building PCs) have told you to get AMD64/Optys. Doesn't that tell you anything?

I use a 3ghz P4 with HT, and an 1.8ghz A64 every day.

Guess which one is faster?

Oh, and the A64 has half the memory.

Rocco123 said:
I'm usually not so quick to start the name-calling, but you sound like a moron. Read any reviews on gaming and they will result in the favor of AMD64. I'm not talking months from now when Core2 hits, I'm talking about in the present.

If you honestly would rather have a far inferior Intel chip than an AMD , then I have just the thing. I'll send you a PIII Xeon 550 for absolutely free in the mail, and we'll all laugh when it takes you 6 hours to install XP.

Honestly though, 8 people (which by the way know more than you do about building PCs) have told you to get AMD64/Optys. Doesn't that tell you anything?

Il take it with love.

I also highly doubt that anybody here actually knows more about building computers than myself. I really really doubt any of you know more about microarchitecture than me, unless any others are engineers.

People telling me that i should get a AMD means nothing, even if they or you consider them a smarter person. If the market share was 4% intel and 90% AMD, Id still use intel to the death. I find AMD's to be slow and sluggish. My brother has a Opeteron 165, i find this pc to be slower than my system in my sig. while it may have more power, the actual feel of the system is much slower, on the other hand intels due to HT and netburst have a much quicker feel.

Someone close this thread before we rip the noob to shreds. And to spare us of his general ignorance. Dumbass. I feel sorry for your customers, if you really are a system builder, as you say.
rolleyes.gif

movax said:
Someone close this thread before we rip the noob to shreds. And to spare us of his general ignorance. Dumbass. I feel sorry for your customers, if you really are a system builder, as you say.
rolleyes.gif

rip me then asshole.

My customers all have been very happy.never a complaint. EVER

Scotch77 said:
People telling me that i should get a AMD means nothing, even if they or you consider them a smarter person. If the market share was 4% intel and 90% AMD, Id still use intel to the death. I find AMD's to be slow and sluggish. My brother has a Opeteron 165, i find this pc to be slower than my system in my sig. while it may have more power, the actual feel of the system is much slower, on the other hand intels due to HT and netburst have a much quicker feel.

have you considered the software side of things? what's his comp running that yours isn't? are they on the same os? does he have malware infections? Using two, and only two, pc's for comparison is beyond ludicrous.

I can't believe that straight-up, a single core P4 w/ HT is more responsive than a true dual-core opteron. There simply has to be something else going on.

Slartibartfast said:
have you concerend the software side of things? what's his comp running that yours isn't? are they on the same os? does he have malware infections? Using two, and only two, pc's for comparison is beyond ludicrous.

I can't believe that straight-up, a single core P4 w/ HT is more responsive than a true dual-core opteron. There simply has to be something else going on.

There is something else going on. He's a troll. Come on now.

Scotch77 said:
We know what were doing, we dont even run windows my man.

That's all well and good, but doesn't change the fact that there's far more going on in each system than just the cpu.

If you know what you're doing, do some research and you'll find it's more than just a few people in one forum who think AMD is equal or better than Intel (when it comes to this generation, anyway).

Scotch77 said:
I also highly doubt that anybody here actually knows more about building computers than myself. I really really doubt any of you know more about microarchitecture than me, unless any others are engineers.

Too funny. If this were really true, why did you post a thread for advice? If you knew everything about system building, you'd know exactly what you want. I'm betting that you just want to start shit around here, and I guess it worked.

I'd like to know exactly why you're biased against AMD, other than one experience you've had with ONE person's computer, which obviously was having software issues to start. If you're basing your opinion on one or two experiences, that just shows your personality.

Well, I have an AMD64 3000+, and it runs all my games/apps/OS just silky smooth, never had any hiccups or anything.

Oh, and by the way, you can't have the Xeon 550 I offered before. Besides, good luck finding a mainboard that supports it.

Oh goddamnit, I just looked at your sig and saw that you're A+ certified. I guess you DO know everything...........

Rocco123 said:
Oh goddamnit, I just looked at your sig and saw that you're A+ certified. I guess you DO know everything...........

You are aware a highschool dropout could get an A+ cert, right? (sorry if I missed the dripping sarcasm :))

mwarps said:
You are aware a highschool dropout could get an A+ cert, right? (sorry if I missed the dripping sarcasm :))

Actually a gradeschool dropout could get one. And yes you may have missed the sarcasm on that.....:)

Its somthing that I have as well as alot of other certs and are all things im proud of, as I got them for free, and they are all things that have helped me,.

Rocco123 maybe you are unexperienced with HT and nhetburst.

HT doesnt need special software support to increase performance, dual core does. Thus have a dual core operton is the same as having a single core when running standard windows. There is no improvment.

Its somthing that I have as well as alot of other certs and are all things im proud of, as I got them for free, and they are all things that have helped me,.

Rocco123 maybe you are unexperienced with HT and netburst.

HT doesnt need special software support to increase performance, dual core does. Thus have a dual core operton is the same as having a single core when running standard windows. There is no improvment.

Scotch77 said:

i thought you dont even run windows

Scotch77 said:
We dont know what we're doing, we dont even run windows my man.
fixed

You didn't say how many programs of yours are multithreaded and/or whether you have CPU eating programs running at the same time.

Assuming you have no idea:

If you overclock a FX-62 in AM2 is the best bet, although I don't know what the mainboard situation is doing.

If you don't overclock then 2x Opteron 256 are the fastest.

Scotch77 said:

Uhm, task scheduling maybe? As in, the os can run different processes on each cpu, hence improving performance? Isn't that exactly what HT does - allows the cpu to execute a second thread simultaneously?

This is hilarious.

Scotch77 said:

Scotch, maybe you are unexperienced with something called READING. When did I say anything about HT or DC? In my previous post, I simply stated that if you in fact know more about system building than others in this forum, then you shouldn't be asking for advice.

Scotch77 said:

HT works almost exactly the same as a dual core system, in fact, it even shows up to the OS as a second processor. However, that's the limitations in likeness. HT uses the unused pipelines to increase performance, a dual core has two full sets of pipelines? Which offers better overall options, 1.) a set of 8 pipes each transporting different things but can use other pipes for back up if the main ones get overworked, or 2.) 16 pipes?

HT does need special software because programs MUST be multi-threaded for a single piece of software to take full advantage of it. The same is exactly true for a dual core system.

With all do respect you're acting incredibly closed minded and arrogant to people who also know quite a bit about what they are talking about some who have probably been involved in computers far longer than you have.

defakto said:
There is a reason Intel is losing market share to AMD, and it's not because AMD has an inferior product.

noo.. it's because AMD is relitivly cheap for the performance you get... with games..

I don't prefer any processor over another as I impulse buy :p (I have a 2.8 GHZ Pentium 4 system, a 805D system, and a 3200+ XP system.. family computer is AMD, brothers computer is Amd..) but in most of the benches I've seen of like encoding and photoshop and whatnot, Intel is usually ahead of AMD.

(of course I havn't been hardware crazy like I used to so havn't been looking at that stuff recently) but anyways;... I like the 805D because of the low cost, and high performance you can get with it.. depending on the apps, you might want to look into a 9xx series as I believe their dual-core + hyper threading..

Look ppl, he thinks Cs 1.6 is the "ONLY" game worth playing.

That says it all, there is nothing else needed to realise he is der uber nub. :p

If your mind was already made up, why are you asking for advice? Don't ask if you don't want it.

having "certification" = doesnt mean shiet

all it means is you can read a book and answer questions after, any well established company would hire someone with 5 years experience then someone with certifications out of their butt fresh out of school.

i have not met a single certified person who knew as much as myself or anyone else who is self taught in the buisness.

the problem with ceritification is that you are taugh one way and one way only - the way the teacher / books tell you to do things. and very seldom can people who rely on certification to get them through life can not think outside of the box for problem solving, they fall back to a book.

You my friend are an ignorant individual who's ego exceeds that of this entire forum combined.

The reason your customer are happy is because they are individuals who know nothing about computers and you force feed them CRAP down their throat and they dont know any better.

MrGuvernment said:
having "certification" = doesnt mean shiet

all it means is you can read a book and answer questions after, any well established company would hire someone with 5 years experience then someone with certifications out of their butt fresh out of school.

i have not met a single certified person who knew as much as myself or anyone else who is self taught in the buisness.

the problem with ceritification is that you are taugh one way and one way only - the way the teacher / books tell you to do things. and very seldom can people who rely on certification to get them through life can not think outside of the box for problem solving, they fall back to a book.

You my friend are an ignorant individual who's ego exceeds that of this entire forum combined.

The reason your customer are happy is because they are individuals who know nothing about computers and you force feed them CRAP down their throat and they dont know any better.

I have had a little bit over 10 years of experience in computer repair untill my high school offered free corses in certifications. They started this when I was a senior and I do A+. network+ and CCNA all at the same time. Paseed all tests with pretty close to perfecrt scores.

I also have my
CCA, MCSE and MCSA.

You say that the certs are shit, but I hope you will not be suprised that They have helped me greatly prove my knowledge to companies before I became an Engineer.

You say book smart when I dont own any books for IT stuff, well except a GIAC study guide which was given out at a recent conference. Only books I have are engineering.

As an Engineer its my frigging job to think outside of the box, its what I do 6 days out of 7

Am I an ignorant individual, if so then thats ok, your thoughts dont effect me.
But remeber the feeling is mutual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back