Raven should be ashamed of their X360 Quake4 port.

tranCendenZ

2[H]4U
I just bought Quake4 on XBOX 360 (must own all versions of id's games!) and the framerate is downright terrible. The XBOX360 version wavers all over the place in framerate, and is especially choppy outdoors. My P4 3.2ghz + 6800GT can run Quake4 smoothly at similar detail/resolution.

The fact that COD2 with a similar level of visuals runs locked at 60fps on the same console with the same publisher really speaks volumes; Raven, WTF happened??? It's not Morrowind Raven, its Quake! It needs to have a smooth framerate even if its 30fps locked! Hell, the Dreamcast version of Quake3 even had that! :mad:

I also noticed the game is not true 16:9 - while the cutscenes are in 16:9, the 3D-rendered part of the actual game is a 4:3 image stretched horizontally in a "natural wide" type of mode (if you have an HDTV you know what I mean) - basically the middle of the image appears accurate but the closer you get to the edges the more horizontally stretched the image becomes. I'm not sure if this was done to keep a fair FOV for all players or because of laziness. I am leaning towards the former as the 2D overlays were redone for 16:9.

Keeping the game anyway because playing Quake4 1080i on a 57" HDTV is awesome, but I hope they patch it - and also because the multiplayer portion isnt too bad framerate wise.

Should have read a review before you bought it - gamespot gave it a 6.6 and said over and over again how terrible the framerate is. I'm betting it's so slow because they are probably only using one CPU core and the Doom 3 engine takes up a lot of CPU usage.

That's what happens when Carmack doesn't get his hands on the port :( . I was playing it for a few minutes at a friends house and while it did look nice I noticed the framerate was fluctuating more than it should've been.

Why did you buy it if you already had it on PC ? And ya you should read the reviews before you buy a game.

spIdeZ said:
Should have read a review before you bought it - gamespot gave it a 6.6 and said over and over again how terrible the framerate is. I'm betting it's so slow because they are probably only using one CPU core and the Doom 3 engine takes up a lot of CPU usage.

:confused:

The Doom 3 engine isn't designed to take advantage of dual core CPUs.. in fact I don't think any game out yet does unless this happened recently.

tranCendenZ said:
I just bought Quake4 on XBOX 360 (must own all versions of id's games!) and the framerate is downright terrible. The XBOX360 version wavers all over the place in framerate, and is especially choppy outdoors. My P4 3.2ghz + 6800GT can run Quake4 smoothly at similar detail/resolution.

The fact that COD2 with a similar level of visuals runs locked at 60fps on the same console with the same publisher really speaks volumes; Raven, WTF happened??? It's not Morrowind Raven, its Quake! It needs to have a smooth framerate even if its 30fps locked! Hell, the Dreamcast version of Quake3 even had that! :mad:

I also noticed the game is not true 16:9 - while the cutscenes are in 16:9, the 3D-rendered part of the actual game is a 4:3 image stretched horizontally in a "natural wide" type of mode (if you have an HDTV you know what I mean) - basically the middle of the image appears accurate but the closer you get to the edges the more horizontally stretched the image becomes. I'm not sure if this was done to keep a fair FOV for all players or because of laziness. I am leaning towards the former as the 2D overlays were redone for 16:9.

Keeping the game anyway because playing Quake4 1080i on a 57" HDTV is awesome, but I hope they patch it - and also because the multiplayer portion isnt too bad framerate wise.

Um... stripped down PPC cores do not make for easy ports from superior x86 chips, to make a rushed port available for launch. You should've stuck with the PC version.

SnakeIRye said:
:confused:

The Doom 3 engine isn't designed to take advantage of dual core CPUs.. in fact I don't think any game out yet does unless this happened recently.
Yes it is. It off-loads the AI and physics to the second core.

I know of a few games already that use dual cores either partially or fully. The time is here, and it's only going to get better now :).

Back