Ratpadz XT $25 w/Free Shipping

Zarathustra[H];1041300822 said:
Interesting.

Maybe this is a candidate for dye sublimation? A guy I used to work with started a snowboarding company (http://beansnowboarding.com/) and they do their patterns using dye sublimation.

It has advantages of being wear and scratch resistant, as the coloring is actually IN the plastic itself.

Downside is you have to start with a clear, or lighter colored base, as the dye wouldn't show through much in the black of the Ratpadz.

Familiar with this process, but white/light colored mousepads are not what we want to do. We did test many different colors about 8 years back and basically everyone said, once you go black, you don't go back.

Zarathustra[H];1041300867 said:
Understood. That being said, there is no reason the whole surface couldn't be sublimated in black around the pattern. This is what they do with the black/dark colored snowboards, and it looks sharp.

Since they are laminated, they don't have to worry about the bottom though. The underside might look ugly, and not sure what it would do cost-wise.

And keep in mind here, we are not talking about a high dollar product. If I could charge $400 for a mousepad, a tricked out "paint job" would be just the ticket. I can almost guarantee that the cost of doing this would push the raw cost of the product plus shipping higher than what we charge for it.

If you would consider doing another one time run, I think there is enough support from the forum dwellers to fund it. :) But yes, I fully understand that it's cost prohibitive to do this on a regular basis.

The supplier we currently get the sheet from, requires a gross buy of 10x4 sheets. So if we were to go out and source the material, it would be at the retail cost level. Then I am back in a situation where I am selling a material that I have not qualified, and I have been there and done that before and it costs me a lot of money in the long run. It is all fun and games till people are not satisfied with the quality of the product.

So if you want to search and sample white HDPE sheet and test to make sure it is "printable," then make sure it has the right surface texture (which has been a huge pain in the ass since I started doing this years ago,) then make sure that the sample texture is consistent across all sheets, then source the right printer to do a good job, then figure in shipping back and forth between suppliers on an extremely heavy material, then ship it back to the supplier that does a good job on the CNC aspect of it, then shipped back to our facility for order processing, all while making sure all suppliers do exactly what they are supposed to without any issues, it is all easy after that except for the final cost of the item which would likely be a good bit of money.

I currently have people come back after having used their product for years and demand refunds on a $20 product. And you know what, we honor those because I would rather not ever have a customer service black eye. But setting myself up for failure in the long run is not something I would even consider.

LOL, holy crap...some people...

If the product is so durable that the only issue I have after using it for years is the feet falling off from the adhesive drying up or whatever, that's a damn fine product.

Had a guy in this thread that wanted me to warranty a pad we have not sold for 5 years, and it was only $18 when we did sell it. It was the previous Ratpadz GS model. That comes out to less than 1 cent a day for ownership and use of the product. Now admittedly, it was not our best product, but it was far and away from shitty. So I just sent him a new Ratpadz XT at no cost.

I got mine today and it is good,from the razor cloth for 7 years will require an retraining period
better than the Func surface 1030 before that too
thanks guys

So I flew out of town for a work assignment this week and read this thread as part of my daily [H] subscribed threads ritual.

At some point I remember having a dream about the Ratpadz one night. I don't know why. Could have been the food and beer that I enjoyed every night before going back to the hotel, but I can tell you one thing: I've never dreamed about any other mouse pad. If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is. :p

I've had my GS for like 8 years. Worn the sumbitch smooth and I still use it. I've bought other surfaces and after a few days throw them in my closet and go back to the GS. I know the XT is better, but this GS has not warped, the feet are still on it and a quick wipe with a wet cloth cleans it right up. And when I say smooth I'm talking there is no texture left in the middle and the square pattern on the bottom is showing through. lol

I'm going to order an XT simply because I got more than my monies worth out of the GS. How can I go wrong.

Thanks for an excellent product! Hard to come by these days.

count me among those that would go for a larger mousing surface

I love my Ratpadz but sometimes when I get some highly adrenelated gaming going on I run off the side and it ends up on the floor, lol

So I flew out of town for a work assignment this week and read this thread as part of my daily [H] subscribed threads ritual.

At some point I remember having a dream about the Ratpadz one night. I don't know why. Could have been the food and beer that I enjoyed every night before going back to the hotel, but I can tell you one thing: I've never dreamed about any other mouse pad. If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is. :p

Hehe, I never even dream about them! That is nuts.

count me among those that would go for a larger mousing surface

I love my Ratpadz but sometimes when I get some highly adrenelated gaming going on I run off the side and it ends up on the floor, lol

Over all these years that has been the biggest request. How big would you want it? What would you be willing to pay?

Just chiming in; I have 2 of the Ratpadz XT. I bought my first one 8 years ago (roughly) and I use it on my main rig at home. About 2 years later I bought a second one for work, which I still use.

Thus far, neither have had any issues. Much like Kyle says, just a little wipe down now and then and they're good as new. I honestly can't recommend them enough. I don't even think about them; they're just there and work. I get confused when I use someone else's computer without one. :)

Kyle, received my new XT. I'll be honest, I like the GS better, only slightly. While they are both the same size dimensionally, the GS has less of an edge bevel. It's rounded and results in a slightly larger mousing area. I like the XT's bevel on the arched section as it's easier on the wrist. So, maybe a future version could have the beveled edge on the arched section and rounded like the GS on the other 3 sides. Would provide people with a slightly larger mousing surface without changing the physical dimensions of the product.

No, I'm not complaining, I don't want a refund, BACK AWAY FROM MY MOUSE PAD! :) Still the best product out there!

We went back and forth on the edge on the XT, overall folks wanted more bevel for those that rest their wrist on the edge.

Yeah, I agree about the curve...I just turn it upside down, but having that extra space filled in might be nice.

You guys should include a wrist rest accessory like on the Vespula that goes under the mousepad to keep it from moving.

You guys should include a wrist rest accessory like on the Vespula that goes under the mousepad to keep it from moving.

Nah, it would ruin it. The best part about Ratpadz is that it's simple. No bullshit, just a really good surface for your mouse.

Do you guys send out shipping confirmations? Ordered Sunday and have not received anything.

Hrmmmm... Ordered 12/28 and still have not received any shipping information :/

Last edited:
Hello,

How do I go about getting a replacement foot pad? Had one of mine come off over the holiday gaming marathons.

Use the contact button on our page, ask there, they will have you send a SASE and they will send you some back.

I want to buy a couple of XT's for international shipment, but the links for international shipment on the website does not work. What should I do? Is it even possible to get them?

The previous one I had was lost while moving....

you guys should sell the ratpadz with some kind of cool logo or picture on the front.

I Seen a guy on you tube with one of these so is it a Hard Surface mouse pad I like Cloth incase my fingers drag.1

you guys should sell the ratpadz with some kind of cool logo or picture on the front.

You should scroll up a page or two :p

They originally had logos on them when they were first launched, but the printing technique is difficult to get to work together with the slick plastic surface. It's all up there. :p

So I just got the two Ratpadz XT's that I ordered last week. Thanks Kyle! I love them! Question for you though. Is it my imagination or was the very first Ratpadz slightly thicker and heavier? No I'm not unhappy with the two that I just got; if anything I'm ecstatic about them to the point where I'm wondering if a "Ratpadz XL" would even be necessary. I see that you've added the engraved branding underneath them and the feet are better than what I remember from my original pads. Is it my imagination or is the material the XT is made out of a little thinner than the very first Ratpadz? One of the things I didn't care for on the originals I had was that it seemed unnecessarily thick; the ones I just bought from you feel just right!

...then again, as I get older I'm starting to notice that I'm not quite remembering things from my early years as clearly as I think. :D

Current XT is the exact dimensions of the original. The GS was much thinner.

FYI, if you live in CANADA and put in an order, we will NOT ship it. It costs us more to ship to Canada than the full price of the Ratpadz XT. You can use the form on the www.Ratpadz.com site to ask about a shipment, but we try to stay away from shipping internationally. It simply causes us a ton of problems and quite frankly it had ended up costing us money in the past.

What's the life-span on one of these things? I'm getting tired of buying QCK mousepads that wear out every single year (sometimes have to replace em 2x a year). Are these easy to clean? I know my cloth mousepad always ends up getting gunk/other shit built up on it and is impossible to clean (stuff is like grease). It's pretty horrible in high humidity too. Should I just buy one of these?

Tell you what I have told everyone else that has ever purchased one. Buy it, use it, if you don't feel as though you got your money's worth, I will buy it back and pay shipping. :)

What's the life-span on one of these things? I'm getting tired of buying QCK mousepads that wear out every single year (sometimes have to replace em 2x a year). Are these easy to clean? I know my cloth mousepad always ends up getting gunk/other shit built up on it and is impossible to clean (stuff is like grease). It's pretty horrible in high humidity too. Should I just buy one of these?

For what it's worth, my first one lasted about 10 years, before it started warping and the feet started coming off. I could have kept bending it back, and Kyle was kind enough to offer replacement feet (After 10 years!?) but I figured after 10 years I got my moneys worth, so I bought another. Just bought a third one (for my stepson) a few weeks ago.

I can't think of a mouse "pad" I'd rather use.

To add to what Kyle said, your questions have been addressed several times in this thread but I will reiterate: the Ratpadz XT has a reputation for being one of the most durable pads out there. You will not come close to wearing one out in a year. Plenty of people here are still using theirs after several years and most of them say they still look (or at least perform) like brand new. Regarding cleaning, I've used cloth pads and know exactly what you're talking about. You can easily clean the Ratpadz in a few seconds with a damp rag and it'll wipe away all the dust and grease that you're talking about. Voila! Like new again.

It sounds like you would do well to get away from cloth pads and go with a hard surface whether it be polymer, glass, aluminum, etc. Any of those options would likely be easier to clean and last longer than what you have. But of the hard mousing surfaces available, Ratpadz should be on your short list of considerations. And with the "You'll be satisfied or we'll buy it back" guarantee, how can you go wrong?

Well spoken. Let me add this. The ONE THING that is the biggest "killer" of our Ratpadz is worn mouse feet. Once the soft plastic mouse feet wear down to the point that the hard plastic of the mouse is rubbing on the Ratpadz, then and pretty much only then will you see surface degradation of the surface of the pad in less than a few years.

Yeah, I think the pads are great. My first one lasted me about 4 years. It finally was losing texture so I had smooth spots in the middle. Purchased 2 since then, 1 for each me and my son. Ive read of people crying about them not being "lifetime" but IMO, 4 years of service is worth the cost.

To add to what Kyle said, your questions have been addressed several times in this thread but I will reiterate: the Ratpadz XT has a reputation for being one of the most durable pads out there. You will not come close to wearing one out in a year. Plenty of people here are still using theirs after several years and most of them say they still look (or at least perform) like brand new. Regarding cleaning, I've used cloth pads and know exactly what you're talking about. You can easily clean the Ratpadz in a few seconds with a damp rag and it'll wipe away all the dust and grease that you're talking about. Voila! Like new again.

It sounds like you would do well to get away from cloth pads and go with a hard surface whether it be polymer, glass, aluminum, etc. Any of those options would likely be easier to clean and last longer than what you have. But of the hard mousing surfaces available, Ratpadz should be on your short list of considerations. And with the "You'll be satisfied or we'll buy it back" guarantee, how can you go wrong?

I know, it's just hard for me to believe since I've been going through these soft mouspads (1-2 a year) since 2007 or so. Same with the mouse (Intellimouse Explorer 3.0)... new one every 6 months -.- I'm not sure why I keep giving these companies my money but I'm finally converting after all these years.

"You sent a payment of $25.00 USD to KB Accessories, Inc."

Can't wait to try it out!

Thanks for giving Ratpadz a shot XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM. If you don't like it, I will buy it from you for the full purchase price and pay for shipping back. :)

Back