Ratpadz - shipping is still FREE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is wearing out pretty bad after about a year of use. I didn't think much when people talked about it "wearing out", but damn - it goes from an excellent mouse pad to pretty much totally unusable when it gets worn out.

It's great while it lasts, but I'm afraid I'm probably gonna stick with a cloth pad from this point on.

Pretty much the deal when you buy the cheap one and want to use it for gaming every day. The XT is aimed at gamers and high usage scenarios.

Ratpadz XT - The original Ratpadz is now the XT! This favorite has been brought back by popular demand that again uses the heavy duty solid construction that will stand up to all kinds of abuse. If you are a hardcore gamer or mouser, logging hours and hours with your mouse; the Ratpadz XT UltraSlick long-lasting surface is for you.

Hey guys, after you order the mouse pad, should you get an email confirmation, since I did not get one after i ordered?

You should.....just use the contact page on the site and ask. You will get an answer.

I bought an XT a few days ago and it was only $19.99 so I'm gonna say yes.

Edit: It came in today... it's amazing.

Yes, the $5 is still taken in the final cart price. Shhhh, it is a secret. ;)

How fast are they shipping out now? I had about 16 day turnover on my last order, wanted to get another for my bro but not if it wont get here till Thxgiving.

The mousepad is ridiculously smooth :) so far I like it, haven't actually gamed with it yet but I'm sure I will.

How fast are they shipping out now? I had about 16 day turnover on my last order, wanted to get another for my bro but not if it wont get here till Thxgiving.

The mousepad is ridiculously smooth :) so far I like it, haven't actually gamed with it yet but I'm sure I will.

Mine arrived 3 days after ordering. Process couldn't have been smoother.

Ratpadz shipping was closed the entire month of October....just like it said in big bold letters at the top of the pages. :)

kyle the ratpadz are sweet, wicked sweet. Been using mine for a year plus and it's fantastic. I got the biggest ver one I think it's the XT.

to anyone thinking about one get one and be happy

Make a bigger one and I'll buy that one too lol. To be honest I'm not really missing all the extra space from my QCK Heavy.

I have one for myself and I have one for the wife. We like them, she doesn't use it for gaming and its a tad bit overkill but oh well, just in case she ever feels the urge to start playing I've got her ready. The ratpadz are awesome though.

Hey guys, after you order the mouse pad, should you get an email confirmation, since I did not get one after i ordered?

I'm in the same boat. Ordered almost 2 weeks ago and no ratpadz and no email of any kind. Just dropped them an email enquiring as to order status. Oh well can't expect every company to have the service of Amazon and Newegg:(

Apologies if this isn't the proper place to post this but I had a general question regarding Ratpadz. A friend ordered one for me on October 8 (I understand shipping was not available throughout the month of October). He later sent an inquiry about the order to customer service in early November. The customer service rep mentioned that she had no record of the order and suggested he try to order again.

A second order attempt was made at roughly three in the morning on November 13 and he still hasnt been charged for this second order. I'm a little concerned that this may mean the second order has been lost as well. Am I worried for nothing? Is there generally a delay with processing/charging the account when an order is made? After reading reviews and hearing about how awesome the Ratpadz XT is I've been anxious to get my hands on one so these hiccups with the order have been torture!

Edit: To clarify, an e-mail with the order number was received both times but customer service doesn't seem to have any record of it.

Apologies if this isn't the proper place to post this but I had a general question regarding Ratpadz. A friend ordered one for me on October 8 (I understand shipping was not available throughout the month of October). He later sent an inquiry about the order to customer service in early November. The customer service rep mentioned that she had no record of the order and suggested he try to order again.

A second order attempt was made at roughly three in the morning on November 13 and he still hasnt been charged for this second order. I'm a little concerned that this may mean the second order has been lost as well. Am I worried for nothing? Is there generally a delay with processing/charging the account when an order is made? After reading reviews and hearing about how awesome the Ratpadz XT is I've been anxious to get my hands on one so these hiccups with the order have been torture!

Edit: To clarify, an e-mail with the order number was received both times but customer service doesn't seem to have any record of it.

WOW! exact same thing happened to me!!! Hey it's only a mouse pad I'm steering so clear of this outfit. Talk about disfunctional ,hope there product is better than their sale process. Two weeks then after inquiring I get an email saying HEY! just re-order again. Ehh... I don't think so BUBBA.. LOL don't quit your day job!

WOW! exact same thing happened to me!!! Hey it's only a mouse pad I'm steering so clear of this outfit. Talk about disfunctional ,hope there product is better than their sale process. Two weeks then after inquiring I get an email saying HEY! just re-order again. Ehh... I don't think so BUBBA.. LOL don't quit your day job!

Strange, my order could not have gone smoother.

Just ordered one. Just have been using a cheap mouse pad that are given away. I figured 17 pages of people talking about these mouse pads, so they have to be good. Oh and still 5 dollars cheaper than advertised.

Customer service mentioned they were having issues with lost orders. They actually shipped a freebie out to me that should arrive tomorrow. Very helpful, I'll definitely order a spare (or two) if this thing is as good as everyone says.

\o/

Just pulled the trigger on an XT and I am hoping for big things here! I think it may go nicely with the Logitech G9x that I picked up from the Egg for $30 ;) Ok, now the Egg is claiming 2 day shipment so let's see who wins the race!

I spend *lots* of time on computers - between my personal life and work I am on a computer nearly 80% of my waking hours - so I figured it was about time I start making it more enjoyable and productive. I am really hoping these XT's work out nicely at home as I may be bringing it into work if it really does turn out as good as everyone says it is.

- Woody

Edit: Kyle, if you happen to have any more of those "limited edition" ones with your John Hancock on it I would really appreciate if you could send one my way :)

Last edited:
Well, this was a bit disappointing.... I began using my RatPadz XT on 08-27-2009, and now just 16 months later, it's worn out to the point that it's no-longer usable.

The problem isn't immediately obvious from a visual inspection, as the pad is still textured and still feels rough. My mouse, on the other hand, can immediately tell that there's something wrong with it. It's doing exactly what it did when my last mouse pad wore out, it's not tracking near the center of the mouse pad.

Now, on my previous mouse pad, the ware pattern was visually obvious. The middle of the pad was shiny while the edges were matte. The textured surface of the RatPadz helps hide the ware spot, but it's obviously still there. If you hold the RatPadz up to a harsh light you can see all the little "peaks" on the textured surface are shiny near the center of the pad, which makes my mouse completely unable to track on the surface (It either doesn't register motion at all, or jerks badly)

Are these mouse pads really that short-lived? Is there anything that can be done for my RatPadz, or is it now garbage? Are there any tougher pads that wont have this problem?

Well, this was a bit disappointing.... I began using my RatPadz XT on 08-27-2009, and now just 16 months later, it's worn out to the point that it's no-longer usable.

The problem isn't immediately obvious from a visual inspection, as the pad is still textured and still feels rough. My mouse, on the other hand, can immediately tell that there's something wrong with it. It's doing exactly what it did when my last mouse pad wore out, it's not tracking near the center of the mouse pad.

Now, on my previous mouse pad, the ware pattern was visually obvious. The middle of the pad was shiny while the edges were matte. The textured surface of the RatPadz helps hide the ware spot, but it's obviously still there. If you hold the RatPadz up to a harsh light you can see all the little "peaks" on the textured surface are shiny near the center of the pad, which makes my mouse completely unable to track on the surface (It either doesn't register motion at all, or jerks badly)

Are these mouse pads really that short-lived? Is there anything that can be done for my RatPadz, or is it now garbage? Are there any tougher pads that wont have this problem?

I have NEVER seen an XT wear out that quickly. I have one XT here that is 7 years old. I would suggest that you have some very abrasive mouse feet. BUT, I will stand by our guarantee and give you your money back in full and pay shipping if you want to return it. I want no unsatisfied customers. Just use our contact page at Ratpadz.com and let Linda know your issue and that I signed off on it.

Customer service mentioned they were having issues with lost orders. They actually shipped a freebie out to me that should arrive tomorrow. Very helpful, I'll definitely order a spare (or two) if this thing is as good as everyone says.

Yeah, we are having some paypal issues. I would suggest just using the contact page to place your order if you are going to do Paypal for right now. Now sure what is up, have to get into the code here this week.

Yeah, sorry, Paypal is jerking us around on this too. Use the Ratpadz.com contact page to contact Linda directly.

Sorry, we did not know we had a big problem till yesterday....since we do not get the orders either. :(

What mouse do you use? I have personally been using my XT heavily almost every day for over two years and the surface is still as good as new.

UHMWPE doesn't have that problem, as it is supposedly 15 times more resistant to abrasion than Carbon Steel.
That's probably the cause of the wear. When you rub two surfaces together with friction between them, the softer one wears first.

That's probably the cause of the wear. When you rub two surfaces together with friction between them, the softer one wears first.
There's a difference between "abrasive" and "resistant to abrasion." UHMW is designed to be as frictionless and slick as possible (less friction = less ware), and its restiveness to abrasion keeps it slick almost indefinitely. It's no more capable of "sanding down" a surface than a sheet of Teflon...

I suppose it's possible, as normal Teflon mouse feet erode away due to ware, that the Teflon flakes fill up the highly porous surface of the Radpadz. If Teflon sticks to the surface of the Ratpadz, then it would build up a protective layer after "eating" a set or two of mouse feet, possibly greatly extending the life of the pad. (I'm guessing here, no idea if this really happens)

Last edited:
There's a difference between "abrasive" and "resistant to abrasion." UHMW is designed to be as frictionless and slick as possible (less friction = less ware), and its restiveness to abrasion keeps it slick almost indefinitely.
That may be the case, but there is obviously a decent amount of friction present since the pad surface did wear down. The only causes I can think of are that the wear is due to the mouse feet, or that there was some issue with the manufacturing of your pad that caused it to wear more quickly. Of course, that's also assuming you haven't done anything silly like taking sandpaper to it ;).

Nope, no sandpaper, I assure you :p . Though honestly, taking sandpaper to it might be an improvement at this point. That would rough up the surface and allow the mouse to track again.

The center of the pad is so worn that, if you press down on the mouse a bit, you can feel a difference in resistance near the center of the pad. Far more friction in the center of the pad, which means all the little peaks on the textured surface have gone flat (more surface area, more friction).

I'm going to take a close look at the ware pattern to see if I can determine which part of the mouse is primarily responsible. If the ware pattern is doughnut shaped (a ring of ware with a less-worn spot in the middle), then it's the feet causing it. If that's the case, then it means the Ratpadz needs a steady diet of Teflon to stay protected.

Last edited:
Friction actually does not depend on the area of the contact surfaces.
That is accurate as long as all other factors remain equal (namely the frictional coefficients of the two materials and the amount of force pushing them together).

The smooth finish on the tips of the peaks that make up the Ratpadz textured ware off, creating a plateau. The surfacing on the newly created plateau has a higher frictional coefficient than the surfacing of the original peak. Thus, the more plateaus created, the more surface area, and the more friction.

The more points of contact the mouse has at any given moment with these flattened sections of the mouse pad, the more resistance you'll feel as you move from a surface with a lower frictional coefficient to a surface with a higher one. In my case, the middle of my pad has been worn, and so I feel more resistance when moving the mouse around the middle of the pad than around the unworn edges.

ordered on dec 7 got it on the 9th woot! this thing is the shyt heck of a upgrade from a freebie mousepad, its incredibly slick.:cool:

ordered on dec 7 got it on the 9th woot! this thing is the shyt heck of a upgrade from a freebie mousepad, its incredibly slick.:cool:

lucky. I ordered the 4th and it barely got shipped yesterday. Are you in Texas?

I wish I had the same luck. I placed an order on 12/15 and have yet to receive shipping confirmation. I've sent them a couple messages. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

We are having some issues with the website. We are still working to get all of this fixed. Sorry for the issues. You can email Linda at [email protected] to confirm order.

For those of you that have NOT gotten your orders placed, you have not been charged either.

What happened to Canadian shipping? I was trying to get an XT ordered for a friend of mine, but there was no option to select a different country.

I have the XT and have had it for a few years. Is there any type of replacement for the bottom feet? the surface is holding up quite well though.

It's kind of eating away at the feet of the ikari mouse I have! (mouse is about 3 months old)

Just got mine... mine isn't even when I put it on my table. If I put mouse on one side it tilts over. Is this normal? Doesn't sound that pleasing... Should I try bending it?

My ~3 year old Ratpadz XT started to wear down in the middle...so I took the chance to give another pad a try (Func 1030 Archetype). Boy was I disappointed.

Just put in an order for a new Ratpadz XT :)

Just a heads up, I bought a ratzpad and it doesn't fit with the keyboard int he tray under the desk. I had to turn it sideways in order to make space for the keyboard. Not a big problem, but just a heads up for people to measure their keyboard trays in case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back