Rate this gaming PC build.

FenFox

Limp Gawd
Is this a good gaming build for the price? (This is a Canadian Price)

-Intel core i7-8700k
-16GB DDR4-2400 - 8GB x 2
-SSD - 525GB Crucial MX300
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / 3GB
-Intel Z370 Chipset (Gigabyte Z370XP SLI)
-Coolermaster Hyper 212 Cooler
-eVGA 750W Quiet PSU (80PLUS Bronze)
-Windows 10 Home OEM
-Corsair 270R Case

Price: $1,988

Too much $? What would you change if anything?

The i7-8700k natively supports DDR4-2666, so get at least that.

The GTX-1060 should be OK for 1080p gaming at reasonable settings, but I'd get the 6 GB model.

Coolermaster CPU coolers are OK for basic usage, but I'd go for something better if overclocking. Look at quality brands like Noctua or Thermalright.

No reason to buy less than a gold-rated PSU. 500 W will be plenty even if overclocking. Seasonic makes good units.

Is this pre-built and what resolution will you be gaming? Also, what games? Honestly right now, buying a video card might be a bad idea due to the price. I am hoping that soon the prices will come back to Earth, so saving money on CPU to put into a video card right now is probably not the best cost/performance idea. Agree with above posters, get a Seasonic if you can.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($256.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370XP SLI (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($136.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($182.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $991.51

Honestly the hardest part will be finding a GPU. With this part list you can probably find a 1080 for $700-800 (I know it sucks) or hold out for 1080ti via nvidia.com/evga.com but that might be quite the waiting game as the GPU shortage continues.

If you want to do more overclocking, upping your CPU cooler to a Noctua NH-D14 or something would be worthwhile.

The i7-8700k natively supports DDR4-2666, so get at least that.

The GTX-1060 should be OK for 1080p gaming at reasonable settings, but I'd get the 6 GB model.

Coolermaster CPU coolers are OK for basic usage, but I'd go for something better if overclocking. Look at quality brands like Noctua or Thermalright.

No reason to buy less than a gold-rated PSU. 500 W will be plenty even if overclocking. Seasonic makes good units.

-Yeah, I'm not a fan of going with a GTX 1060.
-I'm not overclocking.
-What's the difference between a bronze and gold rated PSU?

Is this pre-built and what resolution will you be gaming? Also, what games? Honestly right now, buying a video card might be a bad idea due to the price. I am hoping that soon the prices will come back to Earth, so saving money on CPU to put into a video card right now is probably not the best cost/performance idea. Agree with above posters, get a Seasonic if you can.

-It's a pre-built no-name brand from a PC shop that custom built my current PC. I'd prefer to future proof for 4K, but as of right now I only have a 1080P monitor so I don't know if I should be concerned about 4K gaming at the moment.
If I did want to 4K game, what card & monitor would you recommend?

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($256.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370XP SLI (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($136.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($182.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $991.51

Honestly the hardest part will be finding a GPU. With this part list you can probably find a 1080 for $700-800 (I know it sucks) or hold out for 1080ti via nvidia.com/evga.com but that might be quite the waiting game as the GPU shortage continues.

If you want to do more overclocking, upping your CPU cooler to a Noctua NH-D14 or something would be worthwhile.

-These are USD prices that you've quoted I take it. Looking for CAD.
-A 1080 GPU in CAD is going for $1k-1600 right now.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...ption=geforce+1080&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I should say, normally, I buy custom built computers locally. I collaborate with the shop owner, he buys the parts and builds it for me for a $100 fee as I don't have the time or know-how to do this myself.

I've been seeing a lot more Desktop PC gaming involvement from big brand companies like HP, Corsair, Dell, Alienware etc.

Linus and other tech channels have done a cost breakdown analysis of some of these pre-built gaming rigs vs buying the components from a website and building it yourself. In a lot of situations you're only paying $150-200 on top of what it would have cost if you shopped around for parts and built it yourself. That's not an unforgivable price increase if you aren't willing to do it yourself.

If you guys had to suggest the best big brand pre-built systems for the price, what would your recommendations be?

-Yeah, I'm not a fan of going with a GTX 1060.
-I'm not overclocking.
-What's the difference between a bronze and gold rated PSU?
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2...at-does-it-mean-and-what-is-the-benefit-to-me
About 5% efficiency.

-It's a pre-built no-name brand from a PC shop that custom built my current PC. I'd prefer to future proof for 4K, but as of right now I only have a 1080P monitor so I don't know if I should be concerned about 4K gaming at the moment.
If I did want to 4K game, what card & monitor would you recommend?

-These are USD prices that you've quoted I take it. Looking for CAD.
-A 1080 GPU in CAD is going for $1k-1600 right now.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...ption=geforce+1080&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Correct I didnt see an easy way to do CAD pricing for all of it.

If you guys had to suggest the best big brand pre-built systems for the price, what would your recommendations be?
For prebuilts a good place to look is https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsa...sort=new&restrict_sr=on&feature=legacy_search or slickdeals.net. Again, not sure about CAD availability though. Unfortunately prebuilts may have a serious edge right now due to GPU pricing going insane. For instance: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/xps-8930-desktop/dxcwvmax005h i7-8700 + 16 GB ram (2666 MHz) + GTX 1080 + 512 GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD for less than $1500 (Even had a 10%/$200 off promo code 2 days ago

So what pre-built big name brands would you guys recommend or advise me to stay away from? Are there any red flags that I should be looking for? Any good CAD pricing/sales sites to look for deals?

I've owned an Alienware gaming laptop from 8 years ago and it didn't last too long (had to replace multiple components within 2 years). I'd not be overly positive about buying an Alienware desktop PC even if it was on sale.
Oddly enough my XPS 13 ultrabook has been pretty solid so far even though It's built by the same company.

Honestly, any of the big ones, like Dell or HP or something just due to video card prices. I mean, you can get a whole PC for nearly the cost of a stand alone video card right now.

Yeah...I'd go with a dell or alienware (same thing, just fancier cases). Any reason not to go ryzen? I feel it's a much better value. Also you must go intel, any reason to move all the way to the i7? they cost a lot more and don't really matter for gaming vs the i5. Lastly, you can get windows 10 licenses for less than 20 bucks (here in the for sale section).

Maybe look at that new service tha NZXT offers?

The advantage being that you get ATX form factor compliant components, vs. the weirdo proprietary ones that the OEMs like to use, which are hard to upgrade later.

Bad deal

This will be faster and is less than half the price

I just bought this from Dell as well. Heck of a deal!

I ordered the Dell XPS 8930. Fully decked out. For that 17% off it was a no brainer. For $2200 w/tax. I been building systems all weekend and they are way more than that for basically the same hardware. The power supply is a little weak, but at least its a standard size and I can swap it out. I compared building systems everywhere and they are just way more money right now. So this was just a better buy. My ThinkPad T460s will do for my laptop and my iPad Pro.

Windows 10 Placemat

Dell USB Mouse

Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black

Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2

Integrated with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro

BDRE Drive (Reads and Writes to Blu-Ray disks)

NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X Graphics Memory

512GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

XPS 8930, Special Edition Chassis (460W)

32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz (4x8GB)

Windows 10 Pro (64bit) English

8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K 6-Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.7 GHz)

4 year Premium Support

OP: the build you posted I woefully overpriced (and imbalanced!). Get an i5, a sub $100 mobo and a gtx 1060 6gb. Much more balanced system, should cost under $1K.

Way too much money, and that GTX 1060 3GB is shite. Get a GTX 980 4GB and overclock it, will be faster.

Back