Rate my new Divx / HTPC system.

CentronMe

2[H]4U
I know it's not much but hay, it's something.

Albatron KM18G PRO 2.0
AMD Applebred 1.4GHz
Speeze FalconRock HSF
512MB Kingmax PC3200 (256 x 2)
40GB Seagate hard disk drive (7200.7)
Lite On CD-R/RW DVD Combo Drive (LTC48161H BK)
AOpen H340D Slim mATX case

What do you think? I was going to get an Asus P4R800-VM and 2.2GHz Celeron but went with this instead. I have an 1800+ that hits 2.1GHz at it's default voltage of 1.5 that I may put in there instead but I think the Applebred at 1.8Ghz or so will do just fine.

Looks like a fine system to me, although that Applebred doesn't sound like a particularly sturdy processor.

unlock the cache on that applebread ASAP! ;)

Then that system will be kick ass for a HTPC

my tvbox's specs
AXP 2100+ @ 2010MHz
384 PC2100 CAS2
Geforce 4 Ti4200 VIVO
AOpen AK77 Pro 133A Via KT266A
Soundblaster PCI 64
Integrated sound for input
DVD
20gig for OS
120gig for storage and video work

Now, to the point of giving my specs... The system is unlocked and I use CPUMSR to change multipliers in Windows. At 536MHz I can play all but full screen divx, below 640x480, and do everything else as is. To watch full screen divx, 640x480 and above, I need about 733MHz. Obviously when encoding or recording I crank the clock back up to 2GHz for speed purposes, but 900MHz is enough for MPEG2 recording.

Your system is fine.

@ TheOneKEA: You don't know to much about Applebreds do you? :p

@ neoreturns: I may try but the last time I did it, I was plagued with constant reboots. Also the super-locked chips cannot have their cache restored.

@0ldman: Thanks. I see you still have my quote in your sig. :cool:
How is the TV output quality? The last time I did something like this was with my VooDoo 3 3000 and it was not all that great. Also I like your idea of lowing the speed but I don't think I will be doing this. This little endevor is my excuse for another box on my DC project. All it's going to be used for is my parents may play poker or slots on it with a wireless mouse. Heat should not be an issue the way I have the case modded.

Thanks again...

TV out is ok, 800x600 is pretty good, but the tv isn't clear enough to read. 640x480 isn't great, sometimes flickers.
Compro used decent in/out chips, but they could have gotten better.
After I'm done with a recording it is at least DVD quality, so I guess I can't really complain.

Originally posted by Emre
excuse a newb, what is htpc ? what does it good for?

Palying games on your tv,
playing dvd's at High def resolutons on your high def tv
media library
etc

like I said check out htpcnews.com shoul dgive you an idea..

:)

Good to see you like it.. I am over there quite a bit:) and I have learnt a lot.

Regards,

AL

Yay, it's all in. After installing the motherboard in the case I find that I will need to extend all of the powersupply wires about two inches for them to reach the ATX connector on the motherboard. Fun times ahead.

I used the Windows XP install from the nForce IGP 220 install and it booted right up. All I had to do was install the new nVidia drivers and I was all done. Horray for nVidia for their unified drivers.

I was able to take the new 1.4GHz Applebred to 2.1GHz in the BIOS, via setting the bus speed at 200MHz which is the maximum overclock available. Prime95 seems to be running ok at 190MHz bus which equals 1995MHz. Not bad for another $38 CPU. I will have to wire up the socket and bring the voltage up to 1.55 from the default 1.45 volts. Due to the slim mATX case I don't really want to push the voltage past 1.55.

Back