Rate my new build e6600

ematsui

Weaksauce
Thanks for the input guys! I just want to OC to x6800 levels or 3.0

1 ASUS P5B-E Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: P5B-E
$150.99 $150.99

1 MSI NX8800GTX-T2D768E GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
$649.99 -$30.00 Instant $619.99

1 SILVERSTONE SST-ST50EF ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail
$97.50 -$10.00 Instant $87.50

1 Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
$309.00 $309.00

1 G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK - Retail

$249.99 -$30.00 Instant $219.99

1 ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail

thats a HORRIBLE build, you should be ashamed of yourself and should give it to me!

J/K, really looks like a great system and shouldn't be hard to hit x6800 speeds

You can get a 8800GTX from newegg for ~$600, so will save ~$20 from wherever you got that quote from.

Great parts except for the 9500 LED. Get a different Cooler.

Tuniq Tower 120
Scythe Infinity
Thermalright Ultra 120

ive got the same board, cpu, and cpu cooler and my setup has been running stable for the past 3 months at 3.0ghz.

Hey tell us if that 500 watt powersupply can power enough juice for that setup. I would imagine in would require more but never had the chance to test it out.

You should be fine with that setup. The PSU might be a little weak, but it's from a good company, so I don't see you having a problem with it unless you have a lot of HDD's, fans, and lights.

kirbyrj said:
You should be fine with that setup. The PSU might be a little weak, but it's from a good company, so I don't see you having a problem with it unless you have a lot of HDD's, fans, and lights.
The 8800GTX by itself sucks up alot of jucie and if he plans to overclock the Core 2 Duo, it'll be even more.

aznpotpie said:
The 8800GTX by itself sucks up alot of jucie and if he plans to overclock the Core 2 Duo, it'll be even more.

Well, I have a OCZ Powerstream 520 and I run my whole rig (see sig) along with the necessary fans, 3 HDD's, 2 DVD burners. Only 1 12V rail too.

kirbyrj said:
Well, I have a OCZ Powerstream 520 and I run my whole rig (see sig) along with the necessary fans, 3 HDD's, 2 DVD burners. Only 1 12V rail too.
Might not alwasy be the case, there is two different' makers so there is a bit different quality but should be quite similar since are made by pretty big companies. Only time will tell if it can handle it or not. Hey i just notice you have a CNPS9500 up there, did you aleady get it? If not get something better.

Silvestone has been known to make good PSU's (not sure about that specific model). I wouldn't be that worried about it necessarily, but if you can afford more PSU, it wouldn't hurt to bump it up in the 700W range.

kirbyrj said:
Silvestone has been known to make good PSU's (not sure about that specific model). I wouldn't be that worried about it necessarily, but if you can afford more PSU, it wouldn't hurt to bump it up in the 700W range.
Enhance Electronics makes Silverstone powersupply and OCZ is made by either Topower or Forton (FSP Group) depending on model. Both pretty decent.

I like it, I want a GTX! :)
Where are you buying your GTX?

However, I really don't see what all the fuss is about the ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED, to me it's fairly loud compared to some of the better coolers like SCythe and Thermaltake (BT); so I thought that was a bad choice considering the very efficient cooling and near silence (with 120 mm fan) of the competition.

hmmm... looks like Ill be going for the Scythe instead of the Zalman, and now you guys have me worried about the PSU, ill look into a beefier one..
thanks

ematsui said:
hmmm... looks like Ill be going for the Scythe instead of the Zalman, and now you guys have me worried about the PSU, ill look into a beefier one..
thanks

I will also recommend a different fan, I bought the tuniq and couldn't be happier, also as far as the power supply, I had to change my original supply for a beefier one as well, 500w maybe pushing it, I will recommend maybe getting something like 600-700w. good luck.

oozish said:
I like it, I want a GTX! :)
Where are you buying your GTX?

However, I really don't see what all the fuss is about the ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED, to me it's fairly loud compared to some of the better coolers like SCythe and Thermaltake (BT); so I thought that was a bad choice considering the very efficient cooling and near silence (with 120 mm fan) of the competition.
What are you talking about? The Scythe infinity and my Arctic cooling heatsinks cool better then the Zalman i have. Zalman clearly shows that they are losing the heatsink war against other makers. Thermaltake doesn't make good good heatsinks either, they are crap compare to others.

jnick said:
Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

Look it up.
Yeah it I seen some benchies and it loses to my scythe infinity and my XP-120, what else is there? Thermaltake is loosing ground just like Zalman.

Yeah it I seen some benchies and it loses to my scythe infinity and my XP-120, what else is there? Thermaltake is loosing ground just like Zalman.

I wouldn't a 1-3°C difference "losing". When it is down by a good 5°C+, then possibly.

The point is that thermaltake created a QUALITY HSF which gave the leaders in the field a run for their money. It was keeping up with Thermalright, as well as Scythe. While it may fall slightly behind now on today's C2D's, or up against the Tuniq, it's still a damn good heatsink; from the reviews I've read.

Personally, I'm partial to Thermalright as they seem to always put out quality and can do it with low profile coolers.

Just my 2 cents.

welp,

I just pulled the trigger on this build

swapped out the 500w psu for a OCZ 600w gamerxtreme psu....and swapped teh zalman for a schythe infinity

im nervous about my ram, ive heard these gskills wont post at the beginning because of being undervolted

build is ok, but you suck just b/c you're asking the same question I've seen posted about 123092183091283098210981237987 times in this forum! :)

Here's my build clocked at 3.2Ghz:
http://www.crowdcontrolusa.com/overclock/shizzy3.html

Any combo of these parts will rock:
6400/6600
P5B-E, DS3, P5W DH
G.Skill, OCZ, Corsair
Good videocard
flip coin on rest of components.

Back