Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Loads Faster on PC Than on PS5 With a Simple Fix

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart finally landed on PC this past July...testing of the PC version showed that faster SSDs than the one available in Sony's PlayStation 5 would be slightly slower loading the game's portals/rifts than the console version

It turns out there's a simple fix for that...Twitter user Moeez Malik discovered that simply removing the cache.pso file from the game's main folder allows the PC version to overtake PS5's in load times...Compusemble has now tested the tweak and found that the PC could load in 36:58 seconds when that file was removed, nearly a second and a half quicker than the 38:21 time measured with the .pso cache file still in place and about half a second quicker than the PS5 version (measured at 37:25)

Compusemble recommends loading Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart the first time with the .pso cache file still in the folder; after that, the shaders will be compiled elsewhere by your GPU and you will be free to delete the file without experiencing shader stuttering...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-3WwH-JS4

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Loads Faster on PC Than on PS5 With a Simple Fix

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart finally landed on PC this past July...testing of the PC version showed that faster SSDs than the one available in Sony's PlayStation 5 would be slightly slower loading the game's portals/rifts than the console version

It turns out there's a simple fix for that...Twitter user Moeez Malik discovered that simply removing the cache.pso file from the game's main folder allows the PC version to overtake PS5's in load times...Compusemble has now tested the tweak and found that the PC could load in 36:58 seconds when that file was removed, nearly a second and a half quicker than the 38:21 time measured with the .pso cache file still in place and about half a second quicker than the PS5 version (measured at 37:25)

Compusemble recommends loading Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart the first time with the .pso cache file still in the folder; after that, the shaders will be compiled elsewhere by your GPU and you will be free to delete the file without experiencing shader stuttering...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-3WwH-JS4

Sounds like the game shipped with some shaders pre-compiled by the developer. Seems like this gets rid of the bandwidth limitation observed earlier in the thread.

Here is a look at AMD driver 23.9.1 on the new update, this is AM5 / 7600x / RX 6700 10Gb. this game is a beast to run!

Last edited:
Finally getting around to buying/playing this and so far it's incredible. The graphics are about as nice as anything I've ever seen and everything is butter smooth, too. I haven't played a R&C game in quite a while (not since the PS3), but I'm getting back into the groove pretty quickly. So far so good.

I'm about 2.5 hours in and am still amazed by it. This is definitely a gold standard PC port. Turning on DLAA + frame gen gives my PC a hell of a workout (the fans are going wild), but man does it look and run nicely.

Oh, wait… is this yet another great Sony title that has completely flown underneath my radar?

Zero Dawn: bought it on Steam without knowing anything about it; best game I’d played in years. Days Gone; exactly the same. God of War, The Last of Us, Returnal, Forbidden West… these are all my favourite ‘pc games’ of the past two years, by far.

Ratchet and Clank?

I guess I’d better investigate this.

I can't imagine playing ratchet with kbm. Games like this is why I bought a controller

I can't imagine playing ratchet with kbm. Games like this is why I bought a controller
I've been playing the R&C games since the first one on PS2, and I played Rift Apart on PC with a controller. But after I beat the game, I messed around with keyboard + mouse controls just to see what they were like. They work out surprisingly well, mainly because of the game's 3rd-person-shooter-based combat. I could have easily played the whole game like that. It felt pretty dang good. But I agree that a controller is definitely the best way to play this game.

Horizon Forbidden West on the other hand I will definitely be playing with mouse and keyboard. I played Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro (before I could even imagine it would ever come out on PC), and that sh1t was extremely painful. The game requires precise, accurate aiming, since you gotta target specific body parts on the robo-animals and whatnot. I really suffered on console. When HZD came to PC, I knew the sequel would too. I knew there was no way in fuck I was gonna play the sequel on console. So I'm very happy that the game did make it to PC, cuz I'm definitely using mouse aim for that shit.

I think I played this with a controller. Which is odd for a shooter but this is also jumping and whatnot. Most of the weapons are not fine or accurate so a controller may be okay. I enjoyed this game.

I play pretty much everything short of Counter-Strike with a pad 🤷‍♂️.

I'm rapidly approaching the end of this (94% completion prior to the last mission) and wish there was more. I could have done without the Clank puzzles and wish there were more super-quick action levels, but I've enjoyed most all of the game. If it's on sale for less than $40, it's definitely worth a purchase IMO.

i did all the side quests accept for that grind one where you are flying around. The mechanic was fun, but im not doing it 40+ times

I ended up doing everything there was to do in the my first pass. The flying thing with the zurpstones only took me like 5 minutes, so it was no big deal. I missed a couple golden bolts along the way, but went back for 'em since the game at least tells you what levels they're in. NG+ seems interesting. Enemies take way less damage from most of your standard weapons, but there are special versions that can level up to 10. There are also a couple new weapons that are only available in that mode. I figure I'll play through that mode this weekend. A few of the normal bosses were pretty spongy, so I imagine the NG+ versions will take quite the arsenal to take down.

NG+ seems interesting. Enemies take way less damage from most of your standard weapons, but there are special versions that can level up to 10. There are also a couple new weapons that are only available in that mode. I figure I'll play through that mode this weekend.
Classic R&C. I usually save my NG+ runs in R&C games for a few years later, grabbing stuff I missed the first time through. Rift Apart I got everything on my first playthrough though. Some R&C games, like Deadlocked, I have been through NG+ mode many times. Most R&C games I've been through multiple times. Would be nice if they ported some of the other ones to PC, cuz y'allz haven't even seen the best this series has to offer, if all you've played was Rift Apart. It's definitely up there among the better ones though.

Last edited:
Classic R&C. I usually save my NG+ runs in R&C games for a few years later, grabbing stuff I missed the first time through. Rift Apart I got everything on my first playthrough though. Some R&C games, like Deadlocked, I have been through NG+ mode many times. Most R&C games I've been through multiple games. Would be nice if they ported some of the other ones to PC, cuz y'allz haven't even seen the best this series has to offer, if all you've played was Rift Apart. It's definitely up there among the better ones though.
I got this one on a holiday sale a few months ago, looking forward to playing it. I hope the others get ported, if that's the case! :D

I'm playing around with NG+ (aka. "Challenge Mode") and trying to get some of the achievements I missed. In an interesting twist, it seems as though ALL of your weapons are now able to be leveled up to 10. Once you hit level 5, the game renames them and unlocks a special Challenge Mode version you can buy at the store. You have to pay a small fortune for those (and you still need boatloads of raritanium to boost their abilities), but it changes how some of them work in major ways. It's definitely motivation to keep playing this mode. I don't think there's enough raritanium in the entire game to level everything up all the way, though. To max 'em all out, you'd have to grind the arena.

Classic R&C. I usually save my NG+ runs in R&C games for a few years later, grabbing stuff I missed the first time through. Rift Apart I got everything on my first playthrough though. Some R&C games, like Deadlocked, I have been through NG+ mode many times. Most R&C games I've been through multiple times. Would be nice if they ported some of the other ones to PC, cuz y'allz haven't even seen the best this series has to offer, if all you've played was Rift Apart. It's definitely up there among the better ones though.

The trilogy desperately needs a modern rerelease, preferably one that isn’t just a remaster of the PS3 release. It sucks that the best way to play them is to fire up a PS2 or BC capable PS3.

The trilogy desperately needs a modern rerelease, preferably one that isn’t just a remaster of the PS3 release. It sucks that the best way to play them is to fire up a PS2 or BC capable PS3.
Well there were 4 main games on PS2, and the first game got a remake for PS4 in 2016 (which started the current reboot timeline), of which Rift Apart is a sequel to. The first two PS2 games were okay (I actually didn't care for the first one, but the 2nd one Going Commando got me into the series), but it was the 3rd one Up Your Arsenal that was awesome. And then the 4th game Deadlocked was also really enjoyable.

On PS3 the first game Tools of Destruction was pretty good, as was the standalone DLC Quest for Booty. But the game after that, A Crack In Time, I think is the best one in the series. As for the one after that, Into The Nexus, we'll just pretend that one doesn't exist.

And yes I completely agree that it sucks that the best way to play the PS2 games today is on a real PS2, or via emulation or back-compat on PS3. My PS2 doesn't read discs anymore, and my PS3 doesn't support back-compat. I did get the remaster of the first 3 games on PS3, but those remasters aren't perfect. ALL of these games (the PS2 and the PS3 ones) need to be natively available on PC. But Rift Apart is a good start. Maybe next they should bring the 2016 remake to PC.

I never played any of the RC except for A Crack in Time on the ps3. That one was very very well done and I really enjoyed it. Rift was good too

Is the audio weird for anyone else? I bought the game a while back and don't remember noticing it, but I saw discussion on the Steam forum, ran the game and noticed that the gun audio is strangely quiet compared to the PS5 version. I ran the game in 7.1, 5.1, and stereo and the guns sounded the same.

Is the audio weird for anyone else? I bought the game a while back and don't remember noticing it, but I saw discussion on the Steam forum, ran the game and noticed that the gun audio is strangely quiet compared to the PS5 version. I ran the game in 7.1, 5.1, and stereo and the guns sounded the same.
Just a quick thought on this. It could have something to do with the 3d tempest engine which is a re-engineered amd gpu.
https://www.whathifi.com/features/ps5-3d-audio-what-is-it-how-do-you-get-it

I went ahead and bought this. It’s my first experience with the series. I just played for twenty minutes and I have to admit I’m surprised at how high the production values are. Right now Sony, almost single handedly, is rejuvenating my love for PC gaming. Their titles are just so exciting.

I just played for twenty minutes and I have to admit I’m surprised at how high the production values are.
And that goes all the way back to the very first Spyro game. Insomniac has been hitting it outta the park for a good long time now.

Back