Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Insomniac Games has a new Ratchet & Clank game on the way, and it’s coming to PlayStation 5...Insomniac suggests it’ll take advantage of the DualSense controller’s enhanced haptic feedback to make Ratchet’s arsenal “more exciting than ever.”...it even seems like you’ll be able to ride a dragon too...

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart– State of Play | PS5

releases June 11th 2021 exclusively for PS5...

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart- Weapons & Traversal | PS5

arrives exclusively to PS5 consoles on June 11, 2021...

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart- Weapons & Traversal | PS5

arrives exclusively to PS5 consoles on June 11, 2021...

Doubtfull I'll have a console by then seeing I did not get one in the latest drop I found out today, been 2.5 months since the previous one so at the current rate I mighht get one by the time PS7 launches.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
89 on OpenCritic so far. Seems the AAA scoring curve is in full effect here, as most reviews seem to be gushing more about its technical features than the story or gameplay. I'm sure it's good fun like most of these games are, though.

https://opencritic.com/game/10994/ratchet-clank-rift-apart/
Victor Lucas @ EPN said it wasn’t his favorite Ratchet and Clank he’s played, but still really enjoyed it (8.5/10). He does go into detail on the story/gameplay without spoilers, it’s a decent review. I’ve got my copy preordered.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart PS5- Performance + Graphics- All Modes Tested!

Played for about 3-4 hours yesterday. Seemed pretty fun if you enjoy this kind of game. Mechanically all the controls seem tight and there are some great mobility move sets for moving around fluidly. The voice acting is great for Ratchet and Rivet especially (Jennifer Hale). I’m going to call it now, Ratchet wants to rivet Rivet’s ratchet.

This game modulates the Dual Sense a lot. Even your own footsteps are reflected in the vibrations, and lots of controller speaker use. The adaptive triggers feel very nice and are used for all weapons.

So on the plus side, the Dual Sense is very immersive (I really enjoy all the above effects). On the down side, the game seems to drain the controller batteries pretty quick. On my brand new, fully charged black Dual Sense, after about 3-4 hours of gaming I was on my last bar of controller juice.

Curious to see what others have for experience here.

That's the best thing to come about this generation of consoles
I still remember bringing home my Xbox 360 after waiting in line to buy it and being met with 2-3 minute loading times trying to play PGR3. It used to be really bad. So glad we don't have to play games streaming from a disc anymore and consoles are using SSD storage now.

Just replayed the challenge mode of Ratchet and Clank (PS4) and was debating between Ghosts of Tsushima or Rift Apart....had so much fun with the previous game, I downloaded Rift Apart. Have a bout 3-4 hours into it, having a lot of fun. really enjoying the 60fps settings this generation of consoles.

Picked this up over the weekend. Haven't had too much time to play yet, but really enjoying what I have so far. The game is absolutely gorgeous. This is only the second R&C I've played (2016 being the first) so I can't compare it top much to the wider franchise, but I like it more than 2016 so far and I really liked that one.

Why Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart's 40fps Fidelity Mode Is A Big Deal For Consoles

Instead of updating every 33.3ms (30fps) on a 60Hz screen, Ratchet updates every 25ms (40fps) at 120Hz, the same consistency but smoother...In fact, it's like a midway point between 30fps and 60fps - and you keep all of the graphical advantages of the full-fat fidelity mode...The implications here are fascinating, as John and Rich discuss...

40 fps seems like a pretty good deal. Frame time splits right between 30 and 60 fps while lag seems closer to that of 60 fps.

As mentioned, it could be really useful on Series S where games typically are between an muddy 1080p 60 fps or a slow 1440p 30 fps. Developers might be able to get closethe best of both worlds with 1440 40 fps.

It would have been even better on the One X where the cpu typically kept them below 60 fps so most just cranked up the resolution and ran 30 fps at 1600-1800p in many cases. 1440p at 40 fps likely would have been a much better experience.

40 fps seems like a pretty good deal. Frame time splits right between 30 and 60 fps while lag seems closer to that of 60 fps.

As mentioned, it could be really useful on Series S where games typically are between an muddy 1080p 60 fps or a slow 1440p 30 fps. Developers might be able to get closethe best of both worlds with 1440 40 fps.

It would have been even better on the One X where the cpu typically kept them below 60 fps so most just cranked up the resolution and ran 30 fps at 1600-1800p in many cases. 1440p at 40 fps likely would have been a much better experience.
The console would have to support 120 Hz at the chosen resolution for 40 FPS to not tear or judder absent VRR. The PS5 straight up doesn't support 2560x1440 at all, and it doesn't do upscaling like the Xbox does.

The console would have to support 120 Hz at the chosen resolution for 40 FPS to not tear or judder absent VRR. The PS5 straight up doesn't support 2560x1440 at all, and it doesn't do upscaling like the Xbox does.
Ah I didn't know it worked like that. I figured it would still refresh every 3 frames on a 120 hz display even if the console wasn't able to push 120hz.

Have about 40 minute left on the game...had a blast going to platinum it. I enjoyed it a little more than the previous one, but both are a blast.

Yeah, the Xbones at least support VRR/Freesync though so a 120Hz output isn't needed for them at least on a VRR capable TV.

But I'm not sure why it matters that the PS5 doesn't support 1440p output. Many PS4 Pro/PS5 games are rendered at various resolutions between 1080p and 4K (either with DRS or fixed resolution) and and upscaled to 4K with some sort of reconstruction technique (like checkerboard rendering or FSR at some point).

Ah I didn't know it worked like that. I figured it would still refresh every 3 frames on a 120 hz display even if the console wasn't able to push 120hz.

That's exactly how it works. The same as refreshing every other frame on a 60Hz display for 30FPS in many games.

I think this mode is pretty awesome though and am glad they're exploring new ways to essentially get around the current VRR limitation of the PS5. I've been annoyed that Sony's apparent lack of interest in utilizing VRR despite the hardware being capable of it since it was one of the main reasons I got my OLED TV in anticipation of the current gen consoles. But I think maybe a steady 40FPS could be preferable to playing with an unlocked frame rate that bounces between 40-50FPS even with VRR in play. But IMO VRR still gives the game devs more room to push IQ up and worry less about hitting a specific performance frame rate target rather than a range.

Last edited:
On a 120 Hz display a game frame would be held through 3 screen frames, but on a 60 Hz display for it would be for 1. The game is going to be updating the framebuffer every 25 ms regardless of the screen refresh rate.
Yeah, the Xbones at least support VRR/Freesync though so a 120Hz output isn't needed for them at least on a VRR capable TV.

But I'm not sure why it matters that the PS5 doesn't support 1440p output. Many PS4 Pro/PS5 games are rendered at various resolutions between 1080p and 4K (either with DRS or fixed resolution) and and upscaled to 4K with some sort of reconstruction technique (like checkerboard rendering or FSR at some point).
Games reconstruct the rendered image to the chosen output resolution, but the game cannot tell the PS5 to output a 2560x1440 image and assume the console will upscale it from there. It really isn't something to worry about anyway since developers know they can't use that resolution on the console. Every "HD" console from Sony has never done any kind of scaling in my experience. On the PS3 if the game was ouputting a 720p image then it forced your display into that resolution even if it supported 1080p.

On a 120 Hz display a game frame would be held through 3 screen frames, but on a 60 Hz display for it would be for 1. The game is going to be updating the framebuffer every 25 ms regardless of the screen refresh rate.

Games reconstruct the rendered image to the chosen output resolution, but the game cannot tell the PS5 to output a 2560x1440 image and assume the console will upscale it from there. It really isn't something to worry about anyway since developers know they can't use that resolution on the console. Every "HD" console from Sony has never done any kind of scaling in my experience. On the PS3 if the game was ouputting a 720p image then it forced your display into that resolution even if it supported 1080p.
PS5 super-samples down, on a 1080p display.

The big issue in not supporting 1440p as a system level output resolution is that you can't connect the PS5 to a 1440p monitor and get an unscaled image. On most 1440p monitors, you have to go with 1080p output from PS5 (which is 4K supersampled down) and then that is scaled by your monitor, to fill the screen.

Some 1440p monitors accept a 4K input signal and have a downscaler. And this generally works out pretty well. But it would still be great to just get 1:1 1440p pixel mapping.

Completed this today. For a game that has various tethers and some faster-paced action sequences, I screwed up some, but I was never in a situation where I kept dying or felt like they required extreme precision to get past certain areas. The only part I found frustrating was flying Trudy, a dragon with some weird controls; that's a very tiny part of the game. I'd say that this is a fairly casual game that you could easily enjoy without much frustration. The production quality is very high and I assume that all of the cut scenes were real-time because the cut scenes typically blended into gameplay. It looks like a Disney/Pixar movie. I also thought that the audio quality was very good... there appears to be dynamic range. Nothing sounded terribly compressed and there was tons of subwoofer action and movie-quality music production.

I played through on the default Fidelity setting with HDR on a cheap LED television and the game at least ran consistently and felt responsive and smooth. If it was running 30FPS, it was doing a good job keeping up. I tried playing Forbidden West in its default 4K/quality mode and that game hurts my eyes unless I play in performance mode; Rift Apart is completely bearable in Fidelity mode, that's coming from someone that typically targets 100FPS on PC games.

Completed this today. For a game that has various tethers and some faster-paced action sequences, I screwed up some, but I was never in a situation where I kept dying or felt like they required extreme precision to get past certain areas. The only part I found frustrating was flying Trudy, a dragon with some weird controls; that's a very tiny part of the game. I'd say that this is a fairly casual game that you could easily enjoy without much frustration. The production quality is very high and I assume that all of the cut scenes were real-time because the cut scenes typically blended into gameplay. It looks like a Disney/Pixar movie. I also thought that the audio quality was very good... there appears to be dynamic range. Nothing sounded terribly compressed and there was tons of subwoofer action and movie-quality music production.

I played through on the default Fidelity setting with HDR on a cheap LED television and the game at least ran consistently and felt responsive and smooth. If it was running 30FPS, it was doing a good job keeping up. I tried playing Forbidden West in its default 4K/quality mode and that game hurts my eyes unless I play in performance mode; Rift Apart is completely bearable in Fidelity mode, that's coming from someone that typically targets 100FPS on PC games.
Is the "cheap" tv still 120hz capable?

Is the "cheap" tv still 120hz capable?
Not at all. It's a 2018 Hisense 58" 4K, it was $300 and has the bare minimum HDR capability (not much). If this is regarding my PC@100FPS comment, I use a 144Hz monitor there.

Not at all. It's a 2018 Hisense 58" 4K, it was $300 and has the bare minimum HDR capability (not much). If this is regarding my PC@100FPS comment, I use a 144Hz monitor there.
Ah, ok. I was asking because, Ratchet and Clank's Fidelity mode runs at 40fps on 120hz displays.

This is the only game I played that really shows next Gen capabilities of the PS5 it's like Fur FIghters on Crack. Demon Souls comes a close 2nd for a game but Ratchet and Clank's Physics is Amazing.

Last edited:
This is the only game I played that really shows next Gen capabilities of the PS5 it's like Fur FIghters on Crack.
Demon Souls comes a close 2nd for a game but Ratchet and Clank's Physics is Amazing.
Those were early PS5 games too. If only they cut the cross gen crap.

Back