Raspberry Pi Powered Bark Activated Door Opening System

Eh. Not useful at all really, especially when your kid comes blasting through the door and snaps that little arm off. I think he should've built the entire setup actually on the door, incorporate a piston on the handle that will make the handle go down to open it when fired. Then maybe incorporate another piston that is attached to the top of the door/door frame and when fired will push the door open.

That's pretty neat... unless you actually want to close your door. This this mod doesn't really do anything other than make the metal piece move back and forth whenever there's a "bark"

Let's see what everyone else ( ^^^ ) has made.

Well lets see... my door actually closes, prevents drafts from getting in, and is a security feature on my house.

He basically reimagined The Clapper. Then built a Rube Goldberg machine let an already open door, open further, awesome job :)

As to the "lets see you do better" I can't build a car either, but that doesn't mean I can't tell that the Ford Pinto was a horrible car.

There's easier ways of doing this. The Kwikset/Schlage electronic locks can be manipulated to do it (they also have base stations for this type of thing).

Or just buy a electronic door catch. It's what most security keypads use. Instead of allowing you to turn the handle, it deactivates a swinging plate built into the jam portion of the door that allows the door to be "pushed" opened. Add a spring and you got yourself an auto doggie style.

In the future burglars don't need crowbars to smash in your door. They just bark like a dog...

Waste of time just put two actuators top and bottom and hook up a remote control, if you wanted a doggy door install one like in the movie Hangover III.

i am confused why he did not just use an electronic strike instead of that crappy metal i could kick open.

Please read the description on the YouTube video. Unfortunately it's not replicated above, hence all the comments about security, etc.
It's NOT meant to be a security solution, or even a realistic solution for a dog opening device. It's a fun project where I learned something about actuators, and audio sensors, and hopefully others learned something as well (about electronics and embedded computing, not dogs or home security). And it solved a particular problem I was having with my dog (she's settled down since then, and I don't need this any more).

Most importantly, it was done for a laugh. Most people seem to be having a good giggle at it, which was what it was intended to do. :)

Regards,
Dave.

Back