Raspberry Pi initial Impressions

notarat

2[H]4U
Prefece: Still working on my setup so this is an incomplete "review". Will update as changes occur.

I received my Raspberry Pi earlier this week and here are my initial impressions.

It doesn't look like much when you first remove it from the packaging. That's mainly due to the board lay-out, which is clean and barren of any non-essential items. As is sometimes the case, however, looks can be deceiving.

The following ports are available:

HDMI (Sound over HDMI is enabled)
Ethernet (10/100)
2x USB 2.0
Composite video
Analog Audio

I hopped online and grabbed the latest stable build of Raspbian and burned the image to an SD Card. then I assembled the various bits, gathered and connected the appropriate cables, and powered up the unit for the first time.

Boot Times

Raspbian - It was nothing to write home about, but it was by no means so slow as to elicit complaints. It boots faster than my phone so I find its performance in this area completely acceptable. Offers the user the ability to configure several different aspects of the system's operation on the first boot. This is a nice touch. Since this is not a review of the OS, let's just skip to the next OS

Arch Linux - Noticeably faster boot time. Boots to the command line like Raspbian but, unlike Raspbian, does not give you the option to boot to X upon startup.

XBMC - Interesting OS. When you download the XBMC image, it is not the final image. You burn the image to SD Card and, once the RPi boots up, it downloads the rest of the needed code and builds the OS.

Problems Encountered

1 - Networking -- Network initially kept dropping out due to the USB issue mentioned on the forums. Remember, the Ethernet connection is a USB to Ethernet implementation so a saturated USB Bus affects Networking. Resolved by using fewer USB devices (Bluetooth Keyboard/Remote/Mouse Combination unit versus Keyboard, Mouse, Media Center Remote)
2 - Internet Connectivity -- Once Networking was corrected, I could not access the internet. Okay...this should be simple. I just need to add my RPi's MAC Address to the MAC Filtering Table on my DGL-4100, right? Nope. I was never able to resolve the issue. The RPi and D-Link had no interest in peacefully coexisting. No matter what settings I changed, the RPi and D-Link DGL-4100 would not communicate and establish a connection. Bypassing the Router fixed the internet connectivity issue immediately.
3 - Choice -- With three now-working Distros to choose from, I found myself waffling. I'd work in 1 distro for 20 minutes then hop over to one of the others...

Performance

Performance-wise, the unit is totally acceptable. I've seen its performance described as "...like a P2-300 with awesome graphics". I'd say that's a pretty accurate description. I noticed lag here and there, but it is acceptable to me. Performance when viewing HD video is superb. At least as good as watching Cable HDTV. Sound over HDMI is enabled by default and it "just works", at least in Raspbian and XBMC. I did not get far enough in ArchLinux to see if it worked properly.

Pics

Remote/Keyboard
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4995/remoten.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6302/asuskeyboardremote.jpg

Raspberry Pi
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3926/45215137.jpg

XBMC
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5104/img0057gh.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1078/img0040ji.jpg
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4527/img0038cr.jpg

nice review. may i ask what do you use as power supply ?
and what type of SD card do you use?

Power Supply? I run it off of my Droid 1's charger brick.

There is a wide variety of SD Cards that will work with the RPi. I'm currently running X Box Media Center from an 8GB GSkill MicroSD card in an SD Adapter I also have Arch Linux running from a 16GB San Disk SD Card, and Raspbian on another San Disk 16GB Card.

I have a 32GB MicroUSB arriving today and a 64GB SDXC arriving tonight, along with my legos...hehehe

I just received mine on Wednesday but haven't had time to setup a work space.
Is it able to handle ~25Mbps 1080p playback? Because this has to be the best deal ever on a media device. If not, I can still think of a lot of uses for it.

Is it able to handle ~25Mbps 1080p playback? Because this has to be the best deal ever on a media device. If not, I can still think of a lot of uses for it.

Mine handles it fine, with the giant exception of DTS audio tracks. Right now DTS is decoded in software. They are looking at adding hardware decode via a license update. Mine is basically powered off until they add this. If you're hooking up the Pi to a receiver that decodes DTS then you won't have any problems though.

There's a little something off about the card. Its a little rough around the edges yet for the Xbmc, but I think that is getting fixed. The real problem is that it needs to be babied too much, imho. And its an I know that its a tinker toy, but I think someone would be smart to create a companion card with a case that gives this card the power it needs properly regulated and a self-powered USB hub as well. As well as better cable organization. The thing becomes a cabling rats nest. Power comes in from one direction, HDMI at another direction, and usb hub cable in a 3rd.

If someone could fix the above with a case with a built in PS and USB hub as well as grouping the cables into one direction, I'd definitely have more than one already.

I just ordered two today, one for XBMC and one for messing around with, been wanting one scene before the release. on the xbmc one im getting the mpeg hardware decoding addon, so i can use it with PVR.

I know most know this already but i just wanted to verify for others that dont XBMC is not an OS its a media center program, Openelec, Raspbmc, and xbian are all setups the run XBMC on a striped down linux setup. - Just to clarify

What class of SD card are you running. some classes have problems with it, i picked up two class 10 16gb that were reported to work. Class 10 being the fastest, im also planning to overclock it.

also remember this is meant to be an educational tool first, being able to run XBMC is just a lucky coincide, a happy one :D

I can't wait until mine ships. It was supposed to be at the end of last month, but I guess it got delayed. :(

Here's mine in its Lego Case

img0062xq.jpg

img0061vj.jpg

img0060zr.jpg

img0059hc.jpg

img0058bq.jpg

They are looking at adding hardware decode via a license update. Mine is basically powered off until they add this.
create a companion card with a case that gives this card the power it needs.
Could one of you explain what this means? It needs more external hardware? Is there access to a fast enough bus for connecting such chips? Or we just wait for some software optimization or worse, a board revision (buy a new one)? My receiver can decode DTS, but it does not have HDMI. Can the RCA jack be repurposed to output S/PDIF? I don't have a digital television and I'm not even sure if the new ones convert HDMI to S/PDIF anymore.
If someone could fix the above with a case with a built in PS and USB hub as well as grouping the cables into one direction, I'd definitely have more than one already.
I could design and implement this in a ghetto fashion. I do not have tools or any practice with working with materials like plastic or metal to make it look like a finished CE product. It will take me more time to access these resources.
Looking at it here, it seems like the HDMI port should be moved over by the USB and ethernet. Everything else could be inaccessible inside or even removed. Adding/removing/powering USB ports is trivial. I don't think I'll be able to etch a PCB well enough to move the HDMI jack because the pins are pretty fine. It might actually be less intense to move the USB and ethernet over to the HDMI's side.
I can't wait until mine ships. It was supposed to be at the end of last month, but I guess it got delayed. :(
I ordered 4 from element 14 and got them in less than a month somehow. I've given one to a friend already. In fact he and I kind of have the same goal with these; XBMC, or tinkertoy if media is awful.
Here's mine in its Lego Case
Lego cases seem to be the most practical reflection of the purpose these serve.

I've had good luck with both Raspbmc and XBian, with XBian feeling a little bit snappier. That's probably just because the config.txt with XBian has a slightly higher overclock. Awesome that both have HDMI CEC support, so you can use the TV remote over the HDMI connection to control the RPi. No messing with USB IR adapters and configuring extra remotes.

And surprisingly, it's played every bit of HD content I've thrown at it. Even the extremely high bitrate 1080p TimeScapes clips I've got played fine. I get a few glitches here and there, but that's no different than any other media player box I've messed with.

Without any extra stuff plugged in (except for HDMI and ethernet), it actually runs fine powered by a USB port on the TV itself. If boot times come down at all (a supported class 10 would probably help here), then I could just power it from the TV. Right now, it takes a bit too long to boot up so I just leave it powered up all the time.

Just received both of mine today, ordered Friday. Now just waiting for the SD Cards then boot time. i plan to overclock these and probably overvolt as well see if i cant get 1ghz clock out of them. Just wish Arm Arch was Hard float so that i could get the performance boost, might try gentoo if its to much.

Could one of you explain what this means? It needs more external hardware? Is there access to a fast enough bus for connecting such chips? Or we just wait for some software optimization or worse, a board revision (buy a new one)? My receiver can decode DTS, but it does not have HDMI. Can the RCA jack be repurposed to output S/PDIF? I don't have a digital television and I'm not even sure if the new ones convert HDMI to S/PDIF anymore.

I can imagine that there is a device out there that can take audio form HDMI and turn it in to SPDIF and still pass video through.

I got one some time ago and was looking forward to replacing my windows media center box in the lounge with it. Tried Raspbmc and it was crap! Tried the latest Raspbmc last week and it is still in my humble opinion crap. The menus are laggy (even with minimal style skins) and it just doesn't feel good to use.

As a bonus it went and scraped all my media and now my wmc box doesn't display the information for my TV programs correctly, sigh.

Currently this thing can't come anywhere near my wmc box. It does however take way less space and sucks way less power. I'll revisit it in another 3 months time and see if it's any better.

My interest in the Rpi faded.

Since I was only interested in using it as a media player and maybe some emu gaming, I realized I was better off building an E-350 rig. I cost me only 60 bucks and I already had everthing I needed. The Rpi would end up costing me more.

Still I hope it evolves and succeeds, maybe I'll get one eventually.

Basically, the Rpi can't decode DTS in hardware, only Dolby Digital.

The decoding is done in software, hence the stuttering.
AFAIK overclocking and some tweaking, helps.

Check the Rpi forums, there's plenty of info there.

I could design and implement this in a ghetto fashion. I do not have tools or any practice with working with materials like plastic or metal to make it look like a finished CE product. It will take me more time to access these resources.
Looking at it here, it seems like the HDMI port should be moved over by the USB and ethernet. Everything else could be inaccessible inside or even removed. Adding/removing/powering USB ports is trivial. I don't think I'll be able to etch a PCB well enough to move the HDMI jack because the pins are pretty fine. It might actually be less intense to move the USB and ethernet over to the HDMI's side.

I ordered 4 from element 14 and got them in less than a month somehow. I've given one to a friend already. In fact he and I kind of have the same goal with these; XBMC, or tinkertoy if media is awful.

Lego cases seem to be the most practical reflection of the purpose these serve.
To answer some of your questions, the RPi power demand with any kind of USB peripheral usually causes the voltage to drop too low for some of the USB devices. And usually pushes the power draw over the typical spare phone charger current level. I found I need a micro-USB power supply that is well over 1A for my RPi to work smoothly with a wireless USB adapter and a keyboard/mouse wireless receiver. Even with that, its still possible for the USB devices to try to draw more power than the ports can supply. So a USB hub that is externally powered is usually suggested. Not only do the devices get what they need, but the load on the RPi is lower so a 750 mA micro-USB would probably power it.

So now you have two boxes. The RPi with cables coming out at all angles. And a USB hub attached to the Pi with a second power supply. It basically leads to an untidy situation. Its a technical solution that creates a convenience and aesthetic problem. You basically want to get a big shoe box and toss all the rats nest into it and cut holes for power and an HDMI cable which are really the only two cables you need to expose for an HTPC setup (as well as a remote receiver if you're using an IR remote). You're also forced into the hub if you have say a keyboard + IR remote + Wireless Adapter.

I would note that you could also power the RPi off the same USB hub so you only need one power supply. but ya it does not have an easy cable management layout, mostly due to them trying to keep it as cheap as possible and as small as they could while still having a large set of features. I will say if you dont mind using a soldiering iron you can remove the limiting resisters but if you put to many devices on you could fry you Pi

Also There is a possibility of DTS hardware decoding, all they would have to do is do what they did with MPEG and VC-1, you pay for it after the fact, you only pay for it if you need it, and there are rumors of them adding more codecs that the proc supports hardware decoding for.

I've heard about problems with the USB power for it all. It sounds like it will take some planning for the best (cleanest and most efficient) solution. A mess of wires shoved into a shoebox with holes is not what I had in mind, but I can see how that would let everyone get more power, more usb ports, and not have to look at spaghetti. I can understand though, they meant for these to be starting kits for learning about computers and not multi-port multimedia centers. When I get the time I will put my soldering iron to it to see if I can complement it with a hardware upgrade that suits its discovered media center use. Definitely won't be adding a hardware DTS decoder though. :eek: I think something like that should just be passed out through HDMI, the rest is my own problem for not having the right components. (again they didn't intend for these to be media centers so I don't blame them for lacking features)

Well i got everything together, looks like one of my Pis might be defected, when i went to get the serial number for the MPEG codec addon it had just a list of 0s same goes for the revision numbers luckily the other Pi was just fine.

And i will say the menus are slow but i have not overclocked or tweaked anything as of right now. but it does look like it will be easier now as the Foundation has allowed for 3 presets of overvolting that wont void the warranty and they go as high as 1Ghz if your Pi is a lucky one.

now if only i could get mythtv to pick up the clearQAM over my 950Q tuner i would be set.

Other than the network issue, which was caused by a faulty setting in resolv.conf which I corrected, I haven't had much in the way of problems with the RPi.

I decided to re-do the lego case I made so I bought some more legos...about 3200 pieces or so...

img0064pv.jpg

Using some bricks to play around with, I raised up the RPi and built an SSD Docking station under the unit so I could add an SSD to the system. I also made a small enclosure for the USB Hub I bought
img0075rxv.jpg

I've since revised it a third time to be shorter and I'm also working on adding another enclosure to hold the US Robotics Dual SD Card Reader so I can expand my storage further...

Looks nice. Mine is just taped to the wall above the TV...

I will say after a nice overclock (no overvolt) to 900mhz it runs nicely with the refocus skin. GPU core = 300mhz (the GUI reports it at 200 but config.txt it says 300). i have not overclocked the memory so that could be a performance boost there too, time will tell.

Right now im setting up icelibrary and its scrapping the movies right now, its moving slow but it seems to be working well.

I did use path substitution to move the Thumbnails and the Databases to an external usb drive which im hoping cuts back on SD I/O and maybe get better performance

they only thing i have noticed is that, i will loss access to the web interface when it is moving to a large menu or when loading addons. however this may be to the USB timing issue that the Rpi had up until the latest firmware, which will be in RC5 so hopefully it fixes it.

I liked RaspBMC but, for some reason, I can no longer run it.

I can download and install the preparatory image onto the SD Card and it goes out and grabs the main install image but, once it reboots after successful installation and reaches a certain point during the XBMC boot process, it hangs up with no error after mounting the file system.

I've encountered this issue using 6 separate SD and MicroSD cards, all of which are on the "compatible" list at elinux's site...go figure

It's not like it's a big impact though because I've been using Wheezy as the main OS anyway, but it would be nice to get RaspBMC operational again.

I think I'll load up Xbian this week after I'm done remaking the Lego Case...but that's subject to change since Torchlight 2 is out. I spent the whole weekend playing that and didn't even plug in my Pi...

Prefece: Still working on my setup so this is an incomplete "review". Will update as changes occur.

I received my Raspberry Pi earlier this week and here are my initial impressions.

It doesn't look like much when you first remove it from the packaging. That's mainly due to the board lay-out, which is clean and barren of any non-essential items. As is sometimes the case, however, looks can be deceiving.

The following ports are available:

HDMI (Sound over HDMI is enabled)
Ethernet (10/100)
2x USB 2.0
Composite video
Analog Audio

I hopped online and grabbed the latest stable build of Raspbian and burned the image to an SD Card. then I assembled the various bits, gathered and connected the appropriate cables, and powered up the unit for the first time.

Boot Times

Raspbian - It was nothing to write home about, but it was by no means so slow as to elicit complaints. It boots faster than my phone so I find its performance in this area completely acceptable. Offers the user the ability to configure several different aspects of the system's operation on the first boot. This is a nice touch. Since this is not a review of the OS, let's just skip to the next OS

Arch Linux - Noticeably faster boot time. Boots to the command line like Raspbian but, unlike Raspbian, does not give you the option to boot to X upon startup.

Amigo...that is because you haven't installed or configured a GUI. Arch can boot to a DE or WM like *box or even X on boot fine...*if* you set the config files. Nothing is preset or configured with Arch, you have to do it all yourself.

I've discovered that I can take this dead ECS motherboard's components and beef up the capacitor and fuses on the raspi from it (also because I'm cheap). My good motherboards seem to use 1.5A fuses for every 2 ports and aluminum polymer capacitors (very low ESR). SMD tantalums at the recommended 220uF in the 1210 size are $2 each! So I probably won't be ordering those. I'm going to jury-rig in the electrolytics from the dead motherboard. ECS used 1.1A PCT fuses instead of the 1.5A ones Asus used. I thought I'd experiment and put 2 of the fuses in parallel and hope that their ESRs are fairly equivalent or else I'm wasting a part and not really getting more current. This will take some experimentation, but I'm hoping that it grants a 4-port hub 0.24A per device. If not I will think of another way to provide power in parallel (with proper safeties) to these ports. "Scotty, give me that power!" Soldering is the way to less spaghetti!

I've discovered that I can take this dead ECS motherboard's components and beef up the capacitor and fuses on the raspi from it (also because I'm cheap). My good motherboards seem to use 1.5A fuses for every 2 ports and aluminum polymer capacitors (very low ESR). SMD tantalums at the recommended 220uF in the 1210 size are $2 each! So I probably won't be ordering those. I'm going to jury-rig in the electrolytics from the dead motherboard. ECS used 1.1A PCT fuses instead of the 1.5A ones Asus used. I thought I'd experiment and put 2 of the fuses in parallel and hope that their ESRs are fairly equivalent or else I'm wasting a part and not really getting more current. This will take some experimentation, but I'm hoping that it grants a 4-port hub 0.24A per device. If not I will think of another way to provide power in parallel (with proper safeties) to these ports. "Scotty, give me that power!" Soldering is the way to less spaghetti!
Might it be easier to pop out a Powered USB Hub board and combine it with the Pi to both power the pi and align the USB ports with the HDMI Port?

Amigo...that is because you haven't installed or configured a GUI. Arch can boot to a DE or WM like *box or even X on boot fine...*if* you set the config files. Nothing is preset or configured with Arch, you have to do it all yourself.

Uhm...yeah. I know that. Maybe I should have been more clear with my post. What I meant to say was that Raspbian gives you an option during the first boot up to start the X session upon startup, while Arch does not.

Uhm...yeah. I know that. Maybe I should have been more clear with my post. What I meant to say was that Raspbian gives you an option during the first boot up to start the X session upon startup, while Arch does not.

I love using arch but its not for everyone, its a build it your self distro you have to do everything your self, all it gives you is the basics plus a package manager. Raspbain or rather debain is a full fledge os and the only reason that it gives an option to install a GUI or not is because people use it for servers and desktops a like so they just spit out one distro with both options.

My slightly revised case

img0101yi.jpg

img0099bi.jpg

img0097qv.jpg

img0094ojr.jpg

img0092ut.jpg

img0090wc.jpg

I'll be picking up the rest of the CODECs this evening and then I'll be ready to replace my HTPC in the living room with the Pi.

Notarat. Looks good. I'm trying to decide on what I want to use to enclose mine.
I really wish they would respond to my email on when they're going to ship mine. Haven't heard from them in a month. :(

I'm at 1GHZ now with 450 on GPU and 400 on RAM.

Just played back a 35GB MKV of a Blu Ray rip and it was silky smooth.

I'm shocked at how well it works, actually.

I'm running Xbian .8 with the SLiK theme so I don't need a mouse. I just use the remote from the TV to control it. (CEC enabled, so when the HDMI is connected to the TV, the TV controls the Pi)

Am redoing my case for the 5th time. This time, I'm including a TV Tuner, a 480GB Corsair SSD, and a 7 port powered hub to bring total storage to a little over 600GB.

Ya Raspberry pi does a good job with most things.

Just updated to RC5 of RaspBMC. i can say it was amazingly smooth out the door, with no overlcocks. Its working well even with the normal skin. im using IceLibrary with mine and its scraping all the movies again but it works well.

Im at a 900mhz Overclock with no overvolt, a 375mhz Core, 450mhz Ram clock as well. and its running like a champ.

i might hock up a tv tuner now that TvHeadend can be installed on it but i have another computer doing that now so i dont know.

Best thing for dorm life ever!

Ya Raspberry pi does a good job with most things.

Just updated to RC5 of RaspBMC. i can say it was amazingly smooth out the door, with no overlcocks. Its working well even with the normal skin. im using IceLibrary with mine and its scraping all the movies again but it works well.

Im at a 900mhz Overclock with no overvolt, a 375mhz Core, 450mhz Ram clock as well. and its running like a champ.

i might hock up a tv tuner now that TvHeadend can be installed on it but i have another computer doing that now so i dont know.

Best thing for dorm life ever!

I'm having the absolute toughest time with RaspBMC. I can load and run every other distro out there, but Rasp BMC will NOT boot up. No matter how I connect my peripherals, or even if I don't connect ANY peripherals (Headless)

I've tried the last 3 builds of it, and of the 3, only the first installed and ran fine for a week until I corrupted the install by pulling out the power cord. After that, NADA. No Go on RaspBMC.

I tried 4 different, known-working Power Adapters with USB connection. 4 different USB power cables.

I tested power across TP1 and TP2 and found the power to be 4.98v - 5.02V over a 6hr period on each and every one.

RaspBMC just flat-out refuses to operate on my Pi unit.

I can burn the OS to SD and boot. It goes to the site and downloads the rest of the OS and I receive no errors. Once that is complete the system says it needs to reboot (as it should)

Then, on its first boot up after install, I get the following error and it sits there.

img0077id.jpg

I receive the exact same error regardless of how I format the SD Card or which SD Card I use. I have tried the following cards

SanDisk 4GB Extreme
SanDisk 64GB Extreme
Toshiba 8GB Class 10
GSkill 8GB
OCZ 2GB 150x
(2) Lexar 16GB
(2) Lexar 32GB
Wintec 8GB
PNY 2GB

All give the same error.

I finally gave up on RaspBMC and went to Xbian. Opemelec works decently as well, but is just not as responsive as XBian.

I think Raspbmc needs forever to reconfigure itself. Its easy to assume it hung. And a lot of messages come through as errors when they are not. Or when triggering an error is the only way to test if a device exists.

That is very odd, the screen looks the same as mine, but i have never payed enough attention to see if there where any errors, if there where it still gets to XBMC and runs just fine. The only problems i have had with it where of my own doing like overriding the Raspbmc Settings addon when restoring a backup between updates.

Well on second thought i did have a problem where xbmc would lockup and crash when it was scraping and i was trying to do something on it, but that was the older nightlies on RC4. but that has all been fixed now.

I will reboot when its done scraping from icelibrary and see if there are any errors.

That is a nice case with a good layout, to bad i dont have my LEGOs anymore.

As to the errors, when i did a restart i did have errors but the ones your having mine are due to block errors on the SD (im blaming icelibrary - to much meta data for it)

Its strange that RaspBMC doesnt work but Raspbain does. RaspBMC is based on Raspbain, so they have the same base.

That is a nice case with a good layout, to bad i dont have my LEGOs anymore.

As to the errors, when i did a restart i did have errors but the ones your having mine are due to block errors on the SD (im blaming icelibrary - to much meta data for it)

Its strange that RaspBMC doesnt work but Raspbain does. RaspBMC is based on Raspbain, so they have the same base.

Yea I don't get it either...I use Raspbian to resize the SD partitions whenever I burn a new Xbian image to my 64GB SD Card (Well, I did before Xbian added that option)

Raspbian works just fine. Zero issues. RaspBMC, not so much...

Xbian works fine. I even tried OpenElec and it works fine, though I don't like their implementation as much as Xbian's. ArchLinux also runs fine.

Now that I swapped out hubs I plan to try RaspBMC again this weekend

Yea I don't get it either...I use Raspbian to resize the SD partitions whenever I burn a new Xbian image to my 64GB SD Card (Well, I did before Xbian added that option)

Raspbian works just fine. Zero issues. RaspBMC, not so much...

Xbian works fine. I even tried OpenElec and it works fine, though I don't like their implementation as much as Xbian's. ArchLinux also runs fine.

Now that I swapped out hubs I plan to try RaspBMC again this weekend

Is Raspbmc the only one that is an installer and not the full image that gest burned to SD? I wonder if your network connection is giving it problems and the installer's networking isn't coping like the full fledged images can? Power use differences can through off the ethernet and wireless as well.

Back