Raspberry Pi initial Impressions

That could could be the problem, but i suspect it may be the usb hub, as the Ethernet is the same on all boards, only time i would think that it would give you a problem would be if it was a bad board and needed to be sent back fro a replacement. sense all the other distros work just fine its probably not that.

That could could be the problem, but i suspect it may be the usb hub, as the Ethernet is the same on all boards, only time i would think that it would give you a problem would be if it was a bad board and needed to be sent back fro a replacement. sense all the other distros work just fine its probably not that.
The ethernet is basically a USB device hardwired on the board from what I understand. And I've picked up a few comments here and there that not all boards are created equal.

Yes the Ethernet runs through the on board USB hub (thats why A only has one USB, no hub). from what i have seen the only thing to really change is the RAM manufacture, but i could be wrong, but i would assume they are always using the same chipset or else there might be driver problems.

Well after testing turbo mode overclock, the SD got corrupt, guess im not one of the lucky ones oh well, so i had to re flash it all, at lest it forces me to change somethings that i needed to change but was putting it off. :rolleyes:

Well, I thought I was through modding the Pi but I decided to make some mods to the mods of my original mods

It looks pretty much like the previous incarnation but I extended the back wall to the last row to provide more storage space for wall warts and stuff
img0140ey.jpg

img0137lr.jpg

img0132cn.jpg

And I added a cooling fan since I'm overclocking
img0128jq.jpg

What you can't see are the Enzotech copper heat sinks attached with heat sink compound/adhesive.

Nice,

hey what heat sink model did you use, i need to buy a few for my Pis

Thanks

Nice,

hey what heat sink model did you use, i need to buy a few for my Pis

Thanks

I used an Enzotech copper heat sink on the USB controller chip and I used an oversized aluminum heatsink from my Scythe Musashi kit on the Broadcom chip.

Neither really "need" it, but it's nice to have them on it.

My overclocked temps are 89°F now, while playing my Prometheus BluRay rip.

Thanks,

Those Enzotech Heatsinks look nice, defiantly going to look in to them.

Nice, im defiantly getting some of those.

I wonder how well the RPi would do with submersion cooling, That could make for a really nice case, and acrylic case filled with mineral oil and a submerged RPi with LEDs.

The new ones are now shipping with 512MB of RAM versus 256MB (no cost increase)

Glad I ordered a second one!

Ya i heard, now im going to have to setup everything all over again :D Rrrr.

I'm surprised they where able to add this in so soon, it was always going to increase but i wasn't expecting till next year at the earliest. still happy though although this means there goes another $70 + tax + shipping.

Ya i heard, now im going to have to setup everything all over again :D Rrrr.

I'm surprised they where able to add this in so soon, it was always going to increase but i wasn't expecting till next year at the earliest. still happy though although this means there goes another $70 + tax + shipping.

I ordered 2 of them from MCM today.

The 256MB will likely go to one of my friends for Xmas.

One of the pair I ordered will go into my truck

The other onto my network to replace my A4-3400 HTPC.

I still am amazed at their multimedia performance.

ya they can defiantly hold their own. although i am having some I/O problems due to running everything off an SD im probably going to move to an external HDD here soon.

I received my 2 512MB Pi units Friday so I spent the weekend goofing off on them.

Looks as if there was a major goof-up when they released them, in that they forgot to update the firmware to make it able to specify the proper memory splits for RAM values greater than 256Mb but that was corrected Friday and the fix, although tedious, works.

My Raspbian installation is working flawlessly and Quake 3 runs on my 30" Dell at 25xx by 15xx resolution with 4x AA at 60FPS+

I managed to get RaspBMC working on my new Pi, although they do not yet have the fix for the memory split incorporated.

I also burned Xbian to an SD and got it working for a while, but encountered an issue with Apt.

Whenever I perform an apt-get update/upgrade/install, it throws an error about utils-linux not being in the right state (installed or uninstalled)

I tried clearing Apt and also tried clearing Dpkg but that was unsuccessful.

I'm sure they'll work it out soon. As of right now, I have the 256MB version of the Pi set up perfectly for viewing HD Videos and Youtube and flv files.

I'll be removing the 256MB one from my lego case and selling it (not here...I always sell my stuff through the want ads on base)

The 512MB versions show a marked improvement over the 256Mb ones in Xbian...At least they did while I had the install working...lol.

Still have not gotten mine. ( no time to mess with them now so i have not ordered).

I have not heard of the issues with the firmware and the split. well at least they fixed it.

Thats an odd error from the utils-linux. hmm. very strange. thats a core package that is used for a lot of things, they must have put up the wrong flags when compiling it or something.

Its good to know that the performance has improved with the memory bump. i wonder how well it can overclock, the pi i have running RaspBMC now can hit 900mhz, 300mhz GPU, 475mhz on ram without overvolting. thats good considering it has no heat sink and sits right above the tv that can put out some good heat.

I've got a 512mb unit on the way. If this works i'm going to be building several media center boxes for relatives.

Well I'm happy to report my problems were resolved pretty quickly.

The 512MB split issue was resolved about 4 hours after that post and the apt issue was resolved when I recreated the SD (to incorporate the memory split fixes)

It's been running buttery smooth at 850/450/450 with no over volting.

I can play my BluRay rips of Prometheus, Avengers, etc without any stutters/hiccups and it "just works" for all I use it for.

I've been running it on my TV in the Living Room for about a week now and I haven't even turned on the HTPC. I think I'll sell the HTPC(minus the HDDs and SSD) and use them in external enclosures on the Pi.

does the flavor of XBMC for the Pi download all the metadata like it does for PC/Mac?

does the flavor of XBMC for the Pi download all the metadata like it does for PC/Mac?

Nearly all flavors of XBMC allow you to specify the program used to scrape the media's metadata, as far as I am aware.

Since I have 3 of them, I'm going to run Raspbian/RISC OS on one unit and XBIAN on the other (already connected to my TV)

that's the important information. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't disabled to save space or load times. As I don't store the metadata with my content (which i guess i probably should) It'd stored with the XBMC install instead on my main media system.

Now i have not tried it on a 512md pi but my 256 pi can have problems when loading a large library, i think its mostly due to IO of SD card which means an external HDD might help, what happens is it gets very lagy, best option is to use list mode if your library is too large that way there is less for it to render.

I was trying out IceLibrary so there where a very LARGE amount of library info, which probably doesn't help.

in other words get a fast SD card and maybe a external HDD to run the os off of.

Now i have not tried it on a 512md pi but my 256 pi can have problems when loading a large library, i think its mostly due to IO of SD card which means an external HDD might help, what happens is it gets very lagy, best option is to use list mode if your library is too large that way there is less for it to render.

I was trying out IceLibrary so there where a very LARGE amount of library info, which probably doesn't help.

in other words get a fast SD card and maybe a external HDD to run the os off of.

I'd planned on getting a class 10 card.

I have a class 10 8gb SD card, now i would say the icelibrary had a lot of library entries so you probably will be fine if you do care about thumbnails to much as they are what really slows it down.

Here's my updated case. It's built on a 32x32 Lego plate. The second Pi in the pics is shown to illustrate the relative size of the case.

img0168ck.jpg

img0167zp.jpg

img0165kn.jpg

img0164zk.jpg

img0163dal.jpg

img0162ox.jpg

img0161vm.jpg

img0160vf.jpg

img0159mq.jpg

img0158la.jpg

Temps never exceed 100°F with the lid closed.

Ignore the leftovers in the background, lol. I was eating while building the case.

That is a nice setup man, very clean. thats a lot of storage attached to, are you running any part of the OS on there or is that still on the SD card??

That is a nice setup man, very clean. thats a lot of storage attached to, are you running any part of the OS on there or is that still on the SD card??

I am waiting for my USB HDD enclosures to arive so I can install 6TB of storage.

/dev/root and /dev/mmcbl... is from the 16GB SD Card holding the OS. The rest of the storage is for multimedia.

6TB is a lot of storage, personally i would stick that in a NAS rather then directly to the pi.

I need to get a small HDD to put the root partition to boost some of the performance.

Back