Rare GeForce GTX 480 With 512 CUDA Cores Emerges 10 Years Later

Awesome article! These have been floating around more than you think. Here's a video of Tom Peterson with a copy in his rig at his office back when he worked for Nvidia. If you look closely you can see that it's likely a version of this card.

I also own a GTX 480 Engineering sample with the LED, but it's not the 512 core version. I did a write up on it over at Overclock.net a few years ago along with a lot of pictures. If anyone can let me know what the writing on the IHS means I would really appreciate it!
https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-...eforce-gtx-480-engineering-sample-photos.html

51b8c764_20170731_192336-Copy.jpg

I do recall there being some GTX 480's that were fully unlocked. It's been so long :D

Very cool, I think I remember something about this. It makes sense why we never actually saw it.

really liked the MSI Cyclone GTX 460, my all-time fav until I recently acquired an ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1660 Ti. IMHO the GTX 460 was the GTX 970 of it's day. 480 was a beast back then but the heat it generated ... great for those long winter days

Last edited:
Cool... well I guess not. Neat piece of hardware and history. Can’t believe we are back up to 480 levels of wattage though

really liked the MSI Cyclone GTX 460, my all-time fav until I recently acquired an ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1660 Ti. IMHO the GTX 460 was the GTX 970 of it's day. 460 was a beast back then but the heat it generated ... great for those long winter days
GTX 460 was not that hot... at least when it comes to power consumption which was roughly the same as today's GTX 1660 and pretty similar to ATI competition at the time with similar performance.

BTW. GTX 480 power consumption numbers seem ok comparing to current high end cards.

Temps are not that bad on a GTX 480 If you put a decent cooler on it. Very much like the R9 290X.

GTX 460 was not that hot... at least when it comes to power consumption which was roughly the same as today's GTX 1660 and pretty similar to ATI competition at the time with similar performance.

BTW. GTX 480 power consumption numbers seem ok comparing to current high end cards.
That's what I'm saying. I thought that the 480 was lauded for being a power hungry beast at 450W+(system) and my vega 64, 2080 ti are straight up there with it as top end(not sure vega counts as top end quite but it was close when it was released?) cards. Seems like we are pushing the power envelop with modern cards again into what was considered outlandish then.

Is the Coronavirus affecting the "brain" too? Posting articles from 12 years ago.....
Recreational marihuana they said, smoke it they said, what could go wrong they said...........

Not reading the OP is a sign that your post applies to yourself...nice own goal...

Back