Rare Apple I Computer Sells for $210,000

HardOCP News

[H] News
An Apple computer that is thousands of times slower than a ten year old PC, sold for two hundred times the average price of a computer today? How is this different from any other Apple computer sold? (*rimshot please*)

The Apple I, one of only 200 such models ever made, was sold Tuesday afternoon at Christie's auction house in central London for 133,250 pounds (about $210,000.) It came with its original packaging and a signed sales letter from Steve Jobs, one of Apple Computer's co-founders and the current CEO of Apple Inc.

I appreciated the fact that the writer took the time to explain who Steve Jobs is.

I can't imagine computers being a good investment, guess this is a really rare case.

You'd think they would have put a picture in the article to show the actual computer.

I appreciated the fact that the writer took the time to explain who Steve Jobs is.

Because Jobs had nothing to do with the Apple 1 - it was all Woz. Jobs had the marketing ideas and convinced Woz to market the thing, then they sold a bunch and then Woz hit the workshop again with Jobs feeding ideas, which was born the Apple ][.

Don't give Jobs any ideas, the next Hipster trend will be retro computing.

"Please, your iPad is so 2010. Check out my 45 lb CRT backpack!"

Ah, the fond memories of nearly throwing out my back with a 65 lb f'ing monitor...

From the article:
"It sold for $666.66 and was available until it was discontinued in 1977."

I guess its price was a harbinger of things to come...

Side note..... here's one reason we don't have jobs in America.....

Most rich people, the ones whom like to claim tax cuts for the rich to "create more jobs" --- yet 99% of them do not do so, and waste their money on stupid, pointless sh like this..... or let their $210,00 set in the bank earning peanuts to the dollar.

I wonder what kind of resell value a vacuum tube computer has, though I'm pretty sure the delivery fee will be higher.

Nice.
These early home computers truly were the launch of the PC world we enjoy now. And almost no other early PC represents this as well as that old Apple I. Made in a garage by a pair of wacky geniuses. How good is that. Will be worth $1,000,000.01 in 25 years.
Mostly because a handful of Apple loving iPhone raised douche-bag teens will be rich by then and will need to buy it to place on an altar in their Church of Jobs ;)

Quick, check to see if the letter is signed 'Sent from my iPhone". It'll be evidence time travel really does exist.

I wonder how much i could sell my Apple IIE for?

It has Hard drives and 2, 5.25 floppies.

I'm trying to find out what type the HD's are, my Dad has the computer in his basement. But being deployed, makes it a little hard to get instant replies. :D

However the not-so-rare Apple II computer that quite a few people might have collecting dust in a basement, will sell for $2.10

I need to go to garage sale more offten and hope I can find one for 100 bucks and flip it on ebay :D

Because Jobs had nothing to do with the Apple 1 - it was all Woz. Jobs had the marketing ideas and convinced Woz to market the thing, then they sold a bunch and then Woz hit the workshop again with Jobs feeding ideas, which was born the Apple ][.

^^THIS^^

its sad that apple is paying woz hush money for the most part. even though he constantly goes publically saying how much he digs things like android and windows 7.

with that amount, he could have got 10 or more Intel corei7 top of the line, SSD, 4x geforce, modded to the max with a cool pc gaming room with neon lights, gaming gadgets, ect... man its nice to be rich.

with that amount, he could have got 10 or more Intel corei7 top of the line, SSD, 4x geforce, modded to the max with a cool pc gaming room with neon lights, gaming gadgets, ect... man its nice to be rich.

Which will all be worthless in 5 years, while the Apple I will be worth even more.

Back