Raptor questions. How big does c: need to be?

SelRahc

Limp Gawd
Ok,
From what ive read and see, having at least 1 raptor in your system is generally a good thing. I was ganna get a 74gb for the main system drive, and I have a few Qs:

1. System drive only or no? I've been reading that alot of people only use the raptor for their system drives. This kinda seems like a waste of space to me. How big does c: really need to be? Any advantage to not doing alittle partition on it... say 20gb for system then the rest for game installs? 50gb seems plenty for games... I only have a few installed at any 1 time anyways.

Looking at doing the 74gb for 1 drive and a 250 for the 2nd.

2. How much noise do they make? Anyone recommend getting a HD silencer?

If I end up going with the msi board, I'm thinking about using 4x raptors in a non-raid setup. It would be nice to have everything load up faster in photoshop, games, etc.

Thanks for your reply ^_^

sel i have a raptor2 and imho patition makes no difference only easier to reformat. You wont see any speed increase. Like you I too only have a few games installed at any one time D3 and CSS atm. I have a 120gig for media. This config works great. I dont think u will notice the noise unless u have your computer very close to your monitor (ie on your desk). And yes you will see a speed increase for everything. worth the money

Cool. That's what I thought. I'm ganna go with the 74gb raptor and max out the rest of the sata's with 250gb drives ( I have alota media lol ). Do you have your Raptor partitioned or no? If so how big?

How do you like your Lite-On DVD burner? Is that the dule layer burner? Thats the one I'm looking at getting :)

I guess my real question is how big should I make the C: system partition for Windows XP? How much room is optimal for the swap file, etc? 10gb? 20gb? 74gb? :confused:
On my system right now I have a 10gb windows partition. Since I did a clean format and have no programs loaded really, its only 3gb used... but I know it was more. Should I make it bigger for the new system or keep that 10gb size?

Is there an optimal Swap file size?

I run two raptor (36gb) drives in Raid 0. I use 10Gb for a C drive, 6 Gb partition for programs and the rest (~50gb) for games. Works well for me. (Also have 2 250GB drives for media and such.)

I put my swap file on one of my media drives. General rule of thumb for swap file size is 1.5 times your RAM.

Its really personal preference. I would not partition it at all and just run a 74Gig (more like 68) for OS programs and games. Disable the page file on the C: drive and make a static drive on your other drive (depends on how much ram u have).

Back