Raptor Lake 2022 October at the latest

Hes definitely not competent. He thinks what he says is fact regardless of his lack of knowledge on topics and if you try to say anything thats against or not aligning with what he says he will delete it and ban you.
Interesting take on Steve. Do you feel the same way about Tim? I don't know much about them, but I do appreciate some of their reviews even if I don't agree with everything all the time.

Ordered 13600KF and cheapest DDR4 board on Z790 which was on stock.
Board was hella expensive but looks nice, has wifi6 and lots of PCI-E. Hopefully not silly issues like GPU's at 8x like I have now.

I could go with DDR5 but its more hassle and in overclock3d.net review DDR5 6000 was not conclusively faster than fast DDR4 4000

This guy is using DDR4 and a RTX 3080 some games have like a 10-15 increase with Raptor Lake like they said the minimum Frame Rate is increased alot with this chip. I might just buy one and drop in upgrade with my current board because DDR4 and DDR5 is tied basically for Games.

Might be worth it to hold out for a 13900K if you can find one.

Last edited:
So which is the best chip for a new 4k gaming build? 13600k or 13700k?

I have a lot of DDR4 but it’s all slower, 2200, so at this point I think I might as well go DDR5.

I really wanted a 13700K, but I'll be using a Noctua D15 and the temps and power usage are concerning.

I really wanted a 13700K, but I'll be using a Noctua D15 and the temps and power usage are concerning.
Are you going to do anything other than gaming and regular computer usage? If so, the D15 will be fine. It's heavy all core workloads that draw the big power.

Z790 Tomahawk, $320. Z790 Edge, $380.
Lazy lazy.

MSI.gif

Attachments

• MSI.gif
    MSI.gif
    844.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That is pretty common with all mobo makers, they use the same base board with things added or removed. No company is going to make 10 completely different boards to sell.

On MSI boards where is the front panel header located? Is it on the bottom right never owned a MSI board.

Are you going to do anything other than gaming and regular computer usage? If so, the D15 will be fine. It's heavy all core workloads that draw the big power.

Gaming, Photoshop, and web browser for the most part. Some CAD and video editing too.

DDR5 deals are starting to pop up occasionally and a reasonably priced Z690 DDR5 board paired with a 13700KF is looking like the real mid range winner for a gaming rig upgrade right now. Trying to hold off for 3D chips from AMD but the price/performance is lopsided back to Intel. Wow that seems strange to say but the shoe fits.

Picked up a 13700k should be here in a few days I wasn't sure if my Noctua air cooler would be good enough for the I9 13900k for benchmarks.

Looks like mine is lost in transit unless Amazon schedule is off. Should of went New Egg.
I'll wait till tomorrow to contact Amazon support.

Update: I can get a refund today but I'm never ordering stuff off Amazon.
just got my refund item was ordered though Amazon I needed a Youtube 2022 Amazon video
to show me how to Chat with someone.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouses-share-stories-of-people-fired-for-theft-2016-3

Must be a problem if they have to shame the workers on a flatscreen.

Last edited:
Couldn't run Intel XTU some reason got some error saying the Bios wasn't the latest on my Z690 but I updated it months ago. I ran Superpostion but the results are so marginal I ran CPUID to monitor the temps it got up to 79c but as a package it was still 75c alot hotter than 12700K don't think I need to watercool the CPU. What would help is running a better GPU or maybe DDR5 that always gets the score up plus Superposition is a GPU test basically.

Using a Noctua NH-U12A, Premium CPU Cooler with High-Performance Quiet NF-A12x25 PWM Fans

81JXXmBCaUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_25214_1667767767.png

13700KF using Windows 11

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_25045_1638646957.png

12700K under Windows 10

Just ran New World MMO temps as a package got up to 89c yikes....I wasn't even in a busy area.
My 12700K never even got close to that....pretty sure I have the cooler set ok.

Just ran New World MMO temps as a package got up to 89c yikes....I wasn't even in a busy area.
My 12700K never even got close to that....pretty sure I have the cooler set ok.
The chip pulls like 100W in games. If you're hitting 89C there, you're basically screwed everywhere else.
You've either got a problem with your mounting/paste or the single tower cooler just can't keep up. idk. New World is an MMO so maybe it's really CPU heavy.

Just ran Tiny Tinas wonderland on Badass temps are lower 75c as a Package and topped at 80c.

Update: Going to take off the cooler blow dust out if it and use more thermal paste. The reviews on New Egg say it runs cooler than the 11900k which was a really hot chip. I used a different thermal paste application spreaded it micro thin with guitar pick should of added more.

Update 2: That worked started up New World again only getting 77c for package I used Artic Silver and applied too much the 1st time around.
I switched to the Noctua stuff that came with the cooler used that instead coated the CPU with thin layer then put a small bead on top of it before setting it. The 1st time I coated the base the mirror finish of the cooler where I don't think the heat was getting dispersed up the heatpipes of the cooler. Plus I took an airbrush compressor to clean out all the dust in the fins and fans.

13700K with 16 gigs Ram in Dual Channel slots 2 and 4 Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_25357_16678...png

Got a Higher score running less 16GB Ram in Dual channel for some reason the 13700KF doesn't like my 32 gigs of Ram.

Last edited:
I wouldn't drop in any 13th gen CPUs in Z690 I had the worst X3 days of my life trying to figure it out.
First a M.2 drive slot wouldn't work then my Ram wouldn't show up in Windows task Manager it only showed half of it.
Read a post with someone with a 13700K had similar problems just fixed it by putting my 12700K back in the board.

I wouldn't drop in any 13th gen CPUs in Z690 I had the worst X3 days of my life trying to figure it out.
First a M.2 drive slot wouldn't work then my Ram wouldn't show up in Windows task Manager it only showed half of it.
Read a post with someone with a 13700K had similar problems just fixed it by putting my 12700K back in the board.
My 13700KF is running very well with my Z690 board. If you are running ASUS that might be the problem. I've been hearing lots of bad things about their BIOS.

My 13700KF is running very well with my Z690 board. If you are running ASUS that might be the problem. I've been hearing lots of bad things about their BIOS.
What brand do you have? I just had to go Msconfig and re-enter the correct memory being used by Windows finally got all my Ram back.

Got my build up and running over the weekend.

Ran into a few snags. When taking off the stock metal contact frame, the final screw released a lot of tension when I loosened it and launched the metal frame about half an inch into the air. It landed on the edge of the socket and bent 2 pins slightly, the mobo probably would've worked fine but I went ahead and bent them back into place. Additionally, the metal backplate on the socket fell off, without it there's nothing for the screws to attach to. So I had to hold that in place with my left hand on the back of the mobo while screwing the new contact frame into place with my right hand. The whole process was much more difficult than it should've been. Also had an issue getting the M.2 slots screwed in correctly. The "latch" screws that MSI uses are garbage.

CPU runs insanely hot, with e-cores disabled at full stock I was getting a solid 90C in Handbrake (~200W), which is insane. The same bench pegged my OC'd 8700K at 65C. Gaming load is around 70C, 100-120W.
I ended up setting both PL1 and PL2 to 95W which pegs me at 65C. For gaming I might be able to squeeze out a small OC at some point.

My case has no window, but I got a sleeved kit anyway to make routing easier. That was a good decision, it was noticably easier to move cables around and close the side panel.

Also noticed my GPU temps have dropped by about 5C. I assume this is from cleaning my fans/filters but it seems like a big drop out of nowhere.

nuK29wJ.png

P1Tkwam.png

Last edited:
Got my build up and running over the weekend.

Ran into a few snags. When taking off the stock metal contact frame, the final screw released a lot of tension when I loosened it and launched the metal frame about half an inch into the air. It landed on the edge of the socket and bent 2 pins slightly, the mobo probably would've worked fine but I went ahead and bent them back into place. Additionally, the metal backplate on the socket fell off, without it there's nothing for the screws to attach to. So I had to hold that in place with my left hand on the back of the mobo while screwing the new contact frame into place with my right hand. The whole process was much more difficult than it should've been. Also had an issue getting the M.2 slots screwed in correctly. The "latch" screws that MSI uses are garbage.

CPU runs insanely hot, with e-cores disabled at full stock I was getting a solid 90C in Handbrake (~200W), which is insane. The same bench pegged my OC'd 8700K at 65C. Gaming load is around 70C, 100-120W.
I ended up setting both PL1 and PL2 to 95W which pegs me at 65C. For gaming I might be able to squeeze out a small OC at some point.

My case has no window, but I got a sleeved kit anyway to make routing easier. That was a good decision, it was noticably easier to move cables around and close the side panel.

Also noticed my GPU temps have dropped by about 5C. I assume this is from cleaning my fans/filters but it seems like a big drop out of nowhere.

View attachment 536105
View attachment 536106
Yep, the new CPUs run hot. 90c sounds correct for a full load, with a nice dual tower heatsink like that.

IMO, limiting to 95w defeats the point of such a powerful CPU...70c is no big deal. I would just set my fan curve to stay silent, even if it meant 75c or whatever, while gaming.

Yep, the new CPUs run hot. 90c sounds correct for a full load, with a nice dual tower heatsink like that.

IMO, limiting to 95w defeats the point of such a powerful CPU...70c is no big deal. I would just set my fan curve to stay silent, even if it meant 75c or whatever, while gaming.

I don't know. I have a 13700k and at stock speeds with unlimited power for PL1/PL2, I only hit 80C or so at ~245W with an EK 360 AIO doing a CPU stress test. If I limit it to 150W, it will stay in the 60C range under a load. 95W defeats the purpose. Might as well stick with a 13600k if you're going to choke it like that.

CPU hits 90C... so what?
Why would it worry user that CPU runs hot?

CPU hits 90C... so what?
Why would it worry user that CPU runs hot?
Kryonaut deteriorates over 80C.
It's meant to be used for custom loops, didn't occur to me how hot modern CPUs run until after I assembled everything.

Back