Raptor Lake 2022 October at the latest

iGPU is worthless to me I have a pile of old video cards lol.
Depending on what you do, QuickSync something can be used by some application, for example even with a 3080 installed (if puget is not misleading here):

pic_disp.jpg

I noticed the nice cache upgrade on the 13900k also looks good although I just don't need 16 e-cores, heck I don't even need 8 liked how the 12700k has 4 e cores that was enough for me I was kind of wishing they would have a 8 pcore 4 ecore option but no they doubled down on ecores wth lol
You can always disable e-cores if your belief system makes them non-kosher

Imho people should worry less about type or number of used cores and rather judge processor based on their merit...

13900k is on Newegg to Preorder for $660?

WTF, I thought MSRP is $589. Newegg price gouging?

I'll just wait for release and get it for MSRP from somewhere else.

13900k is on Newegg to Preorder for $660?

WTF, I thought MSRP is $589. Newegg price gouging?

I'll just wait for release and get it for MSRP from somewhere else.

That $589 was not MSRP, it was recomended customer price. It is the price you pay per cpu when you buy a tray of a thousand of them. Although that really isnt the price either as the big OEMS like Dell get massive discounts off that price.

That $589 was not MSRP, it was recomended customer price. It is the price you pay per cpu when you buy a tray of a thousand of them. Although that really isnt the price either as the big OEMS like Dell get massive discounts off that price.
Yep another thing you can check is Best Buy pricing they usually list at retail price for 12900k as example is 629. Usually the first batch does cost more through distribution and it goes down later, right now I see 13900k and 12900k have the same $ margin if I compare 660 and 590 for both to distro pricing.

Why haven't the 12700k price or 12900k prices dropped at all? It makes you not wanna buy them but if they were appropriately discounted it would have been a nice option.

Why haven't the 12700k price or 12900k prices dropped at all? It makes you not wanna buy them but if they were appropriately discounted it would have been a nice option.
I don't think that's something that normally happens. They will just sit at their crappy prices and collect dust. Secondhand prices will adjust over time.
The 12700K is worth well under $300 in a post-raptor world. The 12900K probably needs an even bigger drop.

And when exactly has the tray price not been a pretty good indicator of retail "MSRP" in the past?

These Amazon day sales (10/11-10/12) have pushed the ADL CPUs lower at all retailers, but I'm not sure if it's low enough to pull the trigger. Intel doesn't historically drop prices even in the face of a new release.

IMHO, I don't think the shock is going to come from the top end here although there will be some improvements. I think the real battle will be at the midrange. The 13600k is set to beat out the 7600x in both price/performance and from a gaming standpoint, I would think this is your best value here. BTW, I'm not a fanboi, i'm just looking at early benches, expected prices. I go where the best price/performance is. I also think people are going to be in a real bind at decision time, on one hand do I go to a newer platform with expected life in AM5, next gen storage, albiet at lesser gaming performance and expect AMD to really make a comeback in gaming performance with the 3dvcache version of Zen4 or do I buy into Raptor Lake, likely the last gen to run on z690/z790 etc. This is the first time in a long time that i'm waiting this out. Exciting times.

Last edited:
IMHO, I don't think the shock is going to come from the top end here although there will be some improvements. I think the real battle will be at the midrange. The 13600k is set to beat out the 7600x in both price/performance and from a gaming standpoint, I would think this is your best value here. BTW, I'm not a fanboi, i'm just looking at early benches, expected prices. I go where the best price/performance is. I also think people are going to be in a real bind at decision time, on one hand do I go to a newer platform with expected life in AM5, next gen storage, albiet at lesser gaming performance and expect AMD to really make a comeback in gaming performance with the 3dvcache version of Zen4 or do I buy into Raptor Lake, likely the last gen to run on z690/z790 etc. This is the first time in a long time that i'm waiting this out. Exciting times.

lol I'm in the exact same predicament. Go 7950x with AM5 now or 13900K on a dead platform. AM5 would probably be the smart choice, but I'm waiting for 13900K reviews this week.

lol I'm in the exact same predicament. Go 7950x with AM5 now or 13900K on a dead platform. AM5 would probably be the smart choice, but I'm waiting for 13900K reviews this week.

I like AMD's socket strategy, but AM4 taught me that the 2nd gen chipset/motherboards is probably going to be one of the most versatile over the lifespan of AM5. I think X470/B450 could run every single CPU made for AM4 depending on the bios.

I have a Z690 already, so I'm personally thinking of just doing an upgrade to RPL and then looking at AM5 next gen.

I like AMD's socket strategy, but AM4 taught me that the 2nd gen chipset/motherboards is probably going to be one of the most versatile over the lifespan of AM5. I think X470/B450 could run every single CPU made for AM4 depending on the bios.

I have a Z690 already, so I'm personally thinking of just doing an upgrade to RPL and then looking at AM5 next gen.
I think I'm just going to sit on my ADL and wait to see what Meteor Lake and Gen 2 AM5 bring to the table.

I think I'm just going to sit on my ADL and wait to see what Meteor Lake and Gen 2 AM5 bring to the table.

That's always an option too. It's not like ADL suddenly stops working or is too slow for most tasks.

My 5900X is just too slow for games like BF2042 using a 4K/240 Hz monitor. I need a CPU that really rips.

I like AMD's socket strategy, but AM4 taught me that the 2nd gen chipset/motherboards is probably going to be one of the most versatile over the lifespan of AM5.

My understanding is that AM5 will go maybe 2-3 CPU generations..but who knows.

I"m on a 12900k/3080Ti and quite honestly it's all I need for now. I also have a 12600k/RTX 3080 in my ITX build and even that's a little beast, tbh i'm not sure what i'd gain at this point.

I'm thinking i'm going to wait this out for a bit. Zen4 w/3dvcache could be compelling option later, PCI-5 M.2 storage will be plentiful by then and hopefully better DDR5 RAM lower RAM timings will be commonplace.

There are some teething issues with Zen4/x670 that i'm seeing posted, especially with the new 4090 but I know those will get fixed bios/vbios updates over time.

I do think if I were in a real upgrade window I would go x670e and pick up a 7700x until 7950x3d or better hits for future proofing but IMHO if you're on 12th gen Intel or AMD 5000 series, I would probably wait it out.

Vega what do you have the Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 mini-led?

Reactions: Vega
like this
I came across a nice deal on a 12700kf so i grabbed it. I play on 144hz 4k with 3080Ti is the single core performance about as good as the 13700k in gaming?

Frame Chasers did some remote testing on an early sample of a 13900K. Only a tiny, marginal boost in performance seen over a 12900K in gaming. Nothing surprising really, though I had hoped for stronger performance.

I came across a nice deal on a 12700kf so i grabbed it. I play on 144hz 4k with 3080Ti is the single core performance about as good as the 13700k in gaming?
I haven't read lately on core to core improvements but a while ago i recall it was generally 5-15% depending on the task. At 4K though it won't be a big difference anyway, just enjoy the 12700kf!

Frame Chasers did some remote testing on an early sample of a 13900K. Only a tiny, marginal boost in performance seen over a 12900K in gaming. Nothing surprising really, though I had hoped for stronger performance.

That's about what you'd expect depending on the game.

I like AMD's socket strategy, but AM4 taught me that the 2nd gen chipset/motherboards is probably going to be one of the most versatile over the lifespan of AM5.

That might not be the case, first gen Ryzen mobo's were more of a minimal effort by the board partners as they had no idea if this would catch on, so once that it was clear that Ryzen was going places they put in some more effort.

I think the B550 series was probably one of the better ones you could have in more budget oriented systems.

I like the dude from Framechasers, he seems to look out for his viewers which is refreshing, he's not bought and paid for so that's a plus so I tend to put some weight on the results here. He also points out this is strictly gaming though it was a small sample size. He's the only one that talked about the issues with AMD infinity fabric in some games like RUST and others where the 1% lows were pretty bad with the 5800x3d, to a point where he was showing stutters. No one talks about this at all..it's crazy that the industry is so focused on "Average FPS", what's it matter if your dipping down..etc...and getting stutters. He did say that he's gotten better results with Zen4, however from a 1% lows perspective so he believes AMD resolved some of this. That's why i'm really excited for Zen4 3dvcache. We will see. Having said that I use my PC as a workstation as well as gaming, Docker Desktop, WSL, Visual Studio Code, VMs, many Chrome tabs, Adobe Premiere, etc so for me I need to see the complete picture vs just gaming performance.

4 issues here.

1. He set an all core overclock of 5.6ghz, rather than letting it do its normal turbo; which is capable of 5.8ghz on 1 or 2 cores. And at any given moment, many cores would dynamically boost to 5.7, etc. All core generally isn't as good for the majority of games.
2. He's using Windows 10, which does not have the thread scheduler for Alder Lake and Raptor Lake.
3. is the Thread scheduler update for Raptor Lake, even patched into W11 yet?
4. Since its pre-release, Its also possible the bios on his motherboard isn't well tuned for Raptor Lake. Chipset drivers, as well.

I don't think Raptor Lake will be a giant leap over Alder Lake, in gaming. But, I think it will probably be better than what this video is trying to show.

4 issues here.

1. He set an all core overclock of 5.6ghz, rather than letting it do its normal turbo; which is capable of 5.8ghz on 1 or 2 cores. And at any given moment, many cores would dynamically boost to 5.7, etc. All core generally isn't as good for the majority of games.
2. He's using Windows 10, which does not have the thread scheduler for Alder Lake and Raptor Lake.
4. Since its pre-release, Its also possible the bios on his motherboard isn't well tuned for Raptor Lake. Chipset drivers, as well.

I don't think Raptor Lake will be a giant leap over Alder Lake, in gaming. But, I think it will probably be better than what this video is trying to show.

Most of the increased performance is likely to come from the increased clockspeed and cache improvements. The architecture itself is probably very similar and there are no additional P cores which is where the games thrive. Some games benefit from disabling E cores all together, so increasing the amount of them isn't necessarily going to help in all gaming scenarios.

I'm sure that there will be a few games that will show a larger bump than the video, but I'm sure there will be plenty that show only a modest improvement like the video shows.

Reactions: Vader
like this

Are the P cores on the 13700k the same as the 12700k? is it just a clock speed increase? maybe some cache?

But is the jump to raptor lake worth it? I just picked up a 12700kf and I can't see the justification for 5-10 more fps? I saved 2 bills going used 127 vs new 137

But is the jump to raptor lake worth it? I just picked up a 12700kf and I can't see the justification for 5-10 more fps? I saved 2 bills going used 127 vs new 137

For gaming? Gen to gen jumps are never worth it. For workstation work? Then possibly.

4 issues here.

Good points. I've been clinging to W10 but even I know W11 will be required to get the max out of RL and I'll finally have to downgrade. BTW you forgot

5. Punchface bait thumbnail I cannot be bothered to grant my click, patience, or indulgence. Even if the guy was halfway competent which it sounds like he is not.

Last edited:

Yeah, I don't know yet. I would say probably not unless you like to tinker.

Are there reviews yet?

I can wait until its available on Amazon to get 5% cash back from Discover. I don't need it today.

Pretty much never thought I’d say this but the 12700k and a $200 D4 mobo on win11 is probably the best gaming and all around computing solution going right now for the money . This is coming from a huge AMD guy.

Raptor is here today so it’s compelling for the same reasons. Maybe if building new go ddr5 and a 13900k ,z790 and run it into the ground. Dead socket? So what these CPUs or AM5 for that matter will be good for years.

Regardless a z690 d4 board with a 12700k or better can max out any GPU up to a $1000 right now. So if you are a midrange gamer these will last even longer.

AM5 is looking good but not for the $ compared to the outgoing 1700 stuff. I’d wait for price drops there and the x3D chips before overpaying now and overpaying again to upgrade my cpu. Just some thoughts.

Pretty much never thought I’d say this but the 12700k and a $200 D4 mobo on win11 is probably the best gaming and all around computing solution going right now for the money . This is coming from a huge AMD guy.

Raptor is here today so it’s compelling for the same reasons. Maybe if building new go ddr5 and a 13900k ,z790 and run it into the ground. Dead socket? So what these CPUs or AM5 for that matter will be good for years.

Regardless a z690 d4 board with a 12700k or better can max out any GPU up to a $1000 right now. So if you are a midrange gamer these will last even longer.

AM5 is looking good but not for the $ compared to the outgoing 1700 stuff. I’d wait for price drops there and the x3D chips before overpaying now and overpaying again to upgrade my cpu. Just some thoughts.

You probably don't even need a 12700k. A 12600k is arguably just as good and $100+ cheaper.

13600k is better, for less.

5. Punchface bait thumbnail I cannot be bothered to grant my click, patience, or indulgence. Even if the guy was halfway competent which it sounds like he is not.
Hes definitely not competent. He thinks what he says is fact regardless of his lack of knowledge on topics and if you try to say anything thats against or not aligning with what he says he will delete it and ban you.

Back