Raptor Lake 2022 October at the latest

That's cool in a way though I'm inclined to wait for either Meteor Lake or Lunar Lake. Those from what I read could shake things up. hehe

I was pondering this today. Would it make sense to upgrade to DDR5 and a new board to be ready when Raptor Lake drops, but I'm going to assume the Z790 boards will be out then also?

Nice to have greater core and thread counts. The greatest malady of Alder Lake is increased heat dissipation. It would be nice of Raptor to remedy that.
I was pondering this today. Would it make sense to upgrade to DDR5 and a new board to be ready when Raptor Lake drops, but I'm going to assume the Z790 boards will be out then also?
Most likely Raptor Lake will have refined mainboards lineup.

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-1...ire-rapids-are-both-rumored-to-launch-october

October 2022 for Raptor Lake the new Rumor Meteor Lake is Scheduled for 2024. I plan on keeping my Z690 setup but dropping in Raptor.
Intel HEDT or whatever they actually rename it will definitely be on my radar. Since AMD has been a rather big letdown on TRX40 platform. 24 big core, no ecores, many pcie5 lanes etc. would be rather hard to pass up, of course depending upon price. If AMD actually had a Zen 3+ version of non-pro, that could hold me over for a couple of years. Putting next gen top GPU's in a Zen 2 design CPU, 3960x, would be limiting. The wake up call with my 5800X3D in 4K, the absolute huge uptake in minimum frame rates in FarCry 6, very noticeable smoothness improvement over a Zen 2 3900x showed me how limiting a CPU, even at 4k can really be. It is not the averages but the the lows, the jerkiness of those low moments that can be experienced with an inadequate CPU in gaming. People in general was wondering why Intel was releasing CPU projects like the 10 series, 11th generation etc. so soon afterwards -> This helped them with a cadence that AMD will not be able to match. Zen 4 may launch but it does not even appear it will be much, if at all over Alderlake. While Intel will have two more generations out before even Zen 5 potentially.

Last edited:
I'm going Z690 DDR5 with a 12700K since I already have one. Hoping the 13700K is a decent upgrade.

I have very recently switched from AMD back to Intel. Now, my i7-12700K and Z690 DDR4 motherboard is running well except for a GPU that turned out to be a bit underpowered for the CPU.

As for the forthcoming Raptor Lake, yes, the IMC will support DDR4 or DDR5 RAM (but obviously not both at the same time). However, Intel is now requesting the motherboard manufacturers to make their 700-series chipset-based motherboards DDR5 only, effectively limiting DDR4 support in Raptor Lake to the 600-series chipsets only.

I'm going Z690 DDR5 with a 12700K since I already have one. Hoping the 13700K is a decent upgrade.
Leaks are saying 10 - 15% IPC boost on the Pcores. Improvements to the E-cores, though not major. Which is pretty good.
But along with that, should be much higher clocks, at least for the K models.

Additionally, the SKUs have been leaked.

13900k has 8 Performance cores + 16 efficiency cores
13700k has 8 P-cores + 8 E-cores
13600k has 6 P- cores + 8 E-cores
At least one of the non-k i5 has 6 P-cores + 4 E-cores. And leaks are also saying that one or two of the non-k i5 have 6 P-cores + 8 E-cores

i3 are still all quad cores

I think that overall, Raptor Lake is going to be notably better for multicore performance, due to increase in e-cores and clockspeeds. But I don't think its going to be as notably large an improvement, for lightly threaded work.

AMD will be doing stacked V-cache Zen 4 later, after the initial Zen 4 launch. I think its very possible that Intel will also do it with Raptor Lake.

Is this the second only IMC design, if I am remembering/understanding things right, since AMD had a AM2+/AM3 design way back that was compatible with DDR2 & 3?
Kinda cool and only applicable in special times in the market.

Is this the second only IMC design, if I am remembering/understanding things right, since AMD had a AM2+/AM3 design way back that was compatible with DDR2 & 3?
Kinda cool and only applicable in special times in the market.
Nope. It is actually the third such IMC design on a desktop CPU. You forgot Intel's Skylake and Kaby Lake (6th- and 7th-gen mainstream platform), which had DDR3 and DDR4 compatibility. However, there were significantly fewer DDR3 motherboards than there were DDR4 motherboards for the first revision of Socket LGA 1151. DDR3 RAM was much more common in the 6th- and 7th-Gen Intel mobile (laptop) CPU platforms than on the desktop platforms.

And the second revision of Socket LGA 1151 (used with the 8th- and 9th-gen Coffee Lake CPUs) had an oddball chipset, the Chinese-market-only H315 chipset, which supported DDR3 RAM via an on-chipset-package memory translator hub (MTH).

Last edited:
Nope. It is actually the third such IMC design on a desktop CPU. You forgot Intel's Skylake and Kaby Lake (6th- and 7th-gen mainstream platform), which had DDR3 and DDR4 compatibility. However, there were significantly fewer DDR3 motherboards than there were DDR4 motherboards for the first revision of Socket LGA 1151. DDR3 RAM was much more common in the 6th- and 7th-Gen Intel mobile (laptop) CPU platforms than on the desktop platforms.

And the second revision of Socket LGA 1151 (used with the 8th- and 9th-gen Coffee Lake CPUs) had an oddball chipset, the Chinese-market-only H315 chipset, which supported DDR3 RAM via an on-chipset-package memory translator hub (MTH).
Yeah there were very few DDR3 boards for 1151. In fact I still haven't encountered one among years of repairing boards.

New leaks say that October will be soonest for the high end Raptor Lake chips. Non-K/low-end will be 2023.

Is this Intel, high end only, Raptor Lake, given out to reviewers but utterly vapourware for buyers to try to spoil Zen 4 Launch in the Fall, lol, Zen 4 looks to be coming before Raptor Lake is Launched or presented (vapourware)?

Is this Intel, high end only, Raptor Lake, given out to reviewers but utterly vapourware for buyers to try to spoil Zen 4 Launch in the Fall, lol, Zen 4 looks to be coming before Raptor Lake is Launched or presented (vapourware)?
Last launch also had non-K lower end much later than the first bunch, it does not mean high end only, except if you consider 13600K high end.

Having the non -K and the 13100 right away would be out of the ordinary.

Last launch also had non-K lower end much later than the first bunch, it does not mean high end only, except if you consider 13600K high end.

Having the non -K and the 13100 right away would be out of the ordinary.
Then again, AMD may just launch the top skew or a single skew followed by others. Just have to wait and see what happens with AMD and Intel. As the Market collapses, layoffs upcoming etc. things maybe very much different then right now.

It would be a big upgrade from my 12700K in the short term anyway. Now that the 4000s series GPUs are announced I rather have one of those.
I still like Intel cause of the Intel Retail Edge program treated me like a God I would still like to join the program butI would have to goto Office Max not sure if the would hire me.

Last edited:
It would be a big upgrade from my 12700K in the short term anyway.
Now that the 4000s series GPUs are announced I rather have one of those.
I still like Intel cause of the Intel Retail Edge program treated me like a God I would still like to join the program but
I would have to goto Office Max not sure if the would hire me.
Since I have the 3090 Ti I am the exact opposite. I would rather upgrade my 12700K to a 13900k and be content for a while.

So this is the non 13900 non K version that leaked if that is the case that is good news.

So this is the non 13900 non K version that leaked if that is the case that is good news.
More precisely:
Raptor Lake at 3.7 GHz P-Core & 2.76 GHz E-Core vs Alder Lake at 5.0 GHz P-Core & 3.8 GHz E-Core.

It was running at 75% of the speed, if the rumored turbo frequency of 5.8ghz are close to the truth that could be a nice gap for an Intel socket compatible refresh.

https://videocardz.com/press-releas...port-for-intel-13th-gen-core-raptor-lake-cpus'

RAPTOR Lake Bios update for both Asus board and Asrock are up.
I thought I could update though UEFI but couldnt' find anything so downloading Armory Crate or whatever.
Do I plan on upgrading to Raptor Lake? depends on pricing and performance. I mean if it runs 10C cooler or
something with double the cores I might get it. I went from Hawell to Icelake to Skylake to Coffee Lake to Comet Lake to my '
current Alderlake I ran all AMD before that like Piledriver and Bulldozers and AMD XP 2000 Athlon. I did have a few Intel chips which were Pentiums I think but ran from 233mhz to 500mhz then 800mhz really expensive Dell rigs in the 90s. Updated Intel chips so often cause I was in the Intel Retail Edge program from 2015-2017 untill they kicked Walmart workers out of the program in 2017. I was addicted to the site anyway =) Like a Rat going to the pellet. The only reason they kicked Walmart workers out is because Walmart has a no gifts graditude policy and some of the stores who entered got really nice gifts and prizes.

Last edited:
Just updated my Asus board I couldn't find the flash utility I mean I found it but the directory was messed up so I placed in a semi vacant SSD so I could click on it and find it .cap file 1601 7/7/2022 is the Asus version updated file. It the past they had a online search for updating the Bios maybe they decided
that wasn't working or something.

13900k only 10% faster than a 12900k in Geekbench Multithread is where it really shine but every game out there is almost Single core. You just know its going to be a 650.00 chip I don't think I'll upgrade I know the chip runs cooler.

13900k only 10% faster than a 12900k in Geekbench Multithread is where it really shine but every game out there is almost Single core. You just know its going to be a 650.00 chip I don't think I'll upgrade I know the chip runs cooler.
Also has ~double L3 cache compared to Alder Lake. Gaming could be a pretty significant boost, in cache sensitive games.

3d mark Time spy cpu score seem to have been +18%, which seem to be the closest things to a game benchmark ?

But seem that some of that gain is higher frequency, which I imagine could be specific for that machine cooling vs the 12900KF cooling machine.

Attachments

• 1657826333531.png
    1657826333531.png
    334.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1657826354492.png
    1657826354492.png
    557.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1657826399579.png
    1657826399579.png
    381.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1657826435370.png
    1657826435370.png
    309.6 KB · Views: 0
On the single thread side seem to be quite higher frenquency heavy and on the multithread more core heavy, I imagine will see how representative of the final performance and how much more clock it goes and how large for some task the larger cache will do.

Gaming benchmark leaks. 13900k engineering sample is only a few percent better in max framerates. But its on average 20+ percent better in minimum framerates. Timestamped:

power consumption is a lot higher.

Back