raptor 300GB eta ?

powerade

Gawd
so the 150GB model has been out for a while, any idea when the next iteration will be available ??

A 300GB model would be sweet! since I do video editing I would get 2 and set them in a Raid0 for video capture.

Exactly ! According to who ? Given that they sell well,and are popular I am sure we will see an update by Spring 08.Bigger sizes for sure,larger cache's to be sure (maybe 64mb ?),possibly higher spindle speeds ?

according to...?

theres no market for it at the moment plus the fact WD dont want to compete with the 10k 300GB SAS/FC offerings (Also a 300GB Raptor would be similar cost to a SAS variant). When we get higher capacity SAS drives then maybe.

i reckon its a way off as HDDs only evolve less than 20% a year... whereas CPU/RAM double every year.....

if at all ?? So you think that WD may not refresh it at all ?? That does seem highly unlikely.

Speculation is frowned upon in this sub forum is it ? Oh well.

dude they dont need to refresh it, Im sure they have a working product, they will release it when the market demands.

It would be nice however bear in mind most people use raptors for system/page drives so 74GB & 150GB variations are plenty even for games. If you need more capacity then there's RAID.

From the reports I have read the Hitachi 1TB 7K1000 outperforms the Raptor anyway and the new Seagate 1TB may even be better.

I plan on replacing my Raptor 150GB with the Hitachi 1TB and see how it does.

From the reports I have read the Hitachi 1TB 7K1000 outperforms the Raptor anyway and the new Seagate 1TB may even be better.

I plan on replacing my Raptor 150GB with the Hitachi 1TB and see how it does.

nothing can replace pure spindle speed(hence lower seek time).

They are not going to release a new one for a while. There is no point in having the drive compete with the other product line offerings such as their higher level enterprise drives.

Besides, they make great money with people buying two of them instead of one.

No disrespect, but I don't agree with that statement. WD has NO Enterprise offerings right now. Enterprise drives are dominated by Seagate/Maxtor and Fujitsu. I have not once seen a raptor in an Enterprise class server or storage array (SAN or NAS).

WD could only benefit from having a 300 or 450GB 10k rpm, would not hurt them one bit.

if at all ?? So you think that WD may not refresh it at all ?? That does seem highly unlikely.

Oh I do think that there will be new Raptor branded `devices' from WD, but I am not sure whether they'll be traditional 10k rpm HDDs, hybrid harddrives or plain solid-state drives, nor do I have any idea as to when they'll be released.

Have you heard any news that they have? If you haven't, then there are no plans for it.

Logic FTW!

I've got to give you the benefit of the doubt, that you posted this then realized how logic had momentarily escaped you.

Just because something isn't announced doesn't mean there are no plans for it. And just because there have been no press releases or "leaks" in internet forums doesn't mean WD isn't busy at work preparing the successor to the 150GB Raptor. I'd be shocked if they weren't.

I've got to give you the benefit of the doubt, that you posted this then realized how logic had momentarily escaped you.

Just because something isn't announced doesn't mean there are no plans for it. And just because there have been no press releases or "leaks" in internet forums doesn't mean WD isn't busy at work preparing the successor to the 150GB Raptor. I'd be shocked if they weren't.

Ya, thanks for the threadcrap. :rolleyes:

A 300+gb version of the raptor would be sweet.........They are probably working on that, I have no doubt. Running Vista, you need all the storage space that can get...

Back