Rant: The issue as I see it.

toddw

[H]ard|Gawd
A GTX 1070 with a 2500K will net you MIN 55+ FPS on almost every gaming title available @1080p high or in most cases, ultra settings.

Want more? That leaves either 120/144/165Hz monitor gaming and/or 2K/4K gaming. Want to play 144Hz @2K? Oh you gotta get Nsync please drop $700 for a new 27" monitor, not to mention $1000+ for a 1080Ti.

Am I crazy, or does a new build, PLUS the aforementioned $1,700 just make it not worth it?

This rant was inspired by Ryzen 2. Want to upgrade. Realized my real world gaming difference will be minimal (none?) unless I build new entirely.... Now I'm sure 2k gaming @144Hz is amazing.... but $2,300+ amazing? Not for me.... and heck in truth I can forgo the new system, it's the GPU and monitor that's going to make that attainable. Oh sure I'll miss out on NVME and USB 3.1 Gen2..... whoop-tee freak'in dah.

Ordered 2600K on ebay..... meh.... will pair it with a Hyper 212X I've had sitting in my closet new for the past 2 years... now I'm up to min 60 FPS on ultra... hurray me.

You can get expansion cards for NVME and USB 3.1 Gen 2. That is why we have PC's in the first place. So you can upgrade and expand them.

Right now we're in an in-between period where 1080p/60 can be achieved by most "normal" gaming setups. On the other hand, 4K gaming or 120+hz gaming is only achievable with some serious business hardware. Especially if you don't want screen tearing. That leaves 1440p and 4K + resolution scaling as your best options.

1440p is the sweet spot...I just bought my first 1440p G-Sync 144hz gaming monitor in March (after my 8 year old 1080p one died)...4K at Ultra settings will take many more GPU cycles so 1440p is now the perfect middle ground (with at least a GTX 1070)

1440p is the sweet spot...I just bought my first 1440p G-Sync 144hz gaming monitor in March (after my 8 year old 1080p one died)...4K at Ultra settings will take many more GPU cycles so 1440p is now the perfect middle ground (with at least a GTX 1070)
Did I miss that monitor in your sig? Was I wrong on pricing?

Did I miss that monitor in your sig? Was I wrong on pricing?

I didn't update my sig with my current monitor which is the ViewSonic XG2703-GS...I agree that pricing is definitely a factor but for me I don't like upgrading my monitor all the time and like to spend decent $$ and buy one that will last me 6-8 years...4K monitors don't interest me as much as HDR monitors and those are even more crazy in price...

A GTX 1070 with a 2500K will net you MIN 55+ FPS on almost every gaming title available @1080p high or in most cases, ultra settings.

Want more? That leaves either 120/144/165Hz monitor gaming and/or 2K/4K gaming. Want to play 144Hz @2K? Oh you gotta get Nsync please drop $700 for a new 27" monitor, not to mention $1000+ for a 1080Ti.

Am I crazy, or does a new build, PLUS the aforementioned $1,700 just make it not worth it?

This rant was inspired by Ryzen 2. Want to upgrade. Realized my real world gaming difference will be minimal (none?) unless I build new entirely.... Now I'm sure 2k gaming @144Hz is amazing.... but $2,300+ amazing? Not for me.... and heck in truth I can forgo the new system, it's the GPU and monitor that's going to make that attainable. Oh sure I'll miss out on NVME and USB 3.1 Gen2..... whoop-tee freak'in dah.

Ordered 2600K on ebay..... meh.... will pair it with a Hyper 212X I've had sitting in my closet new for the past 2 years... now I'm up to min 60 FPS on ultra... hurray me.
It seems you have been spoiled somehow.

To be at the cutting edge you have to pay.
Want to pay less wait a few years.
Sometimes you can get lucky and have cutting edge on the cheap but its not a norm.

You're viewing this somewhat wrong.

CPUs that are more than four cores: This is useful for people that stream and do other stuff while gaming. While not a large market this does exist.

144hz+ gaming: This is really only important for extremely fast multiplayer e-sports games. In this area those 700+ nsync 1440p monitors are totally counter productive. Not only do those monitors tend to be IPS (which is already going to add 4-10ms of latency delay) gsync and freesync also add latency. Do they look gorgeous, of course, but it's totally counter productive which is why esports players turn off adaptive sync right away. If you get a 1ms TN panel which is what you want at 144hz enabling adaptive sync is adding nasty latency to what was already perfect, just get one without adaptive sync (hell freesync is free now) and at 1080p resolution and it's rather cheap to get into the 144hz+ market.

700 buck plus adaptive sync 2k/4k monitors: Look these are glorious for single player games or non esports games. Do you like yourself some racing sims? Enjoy some single player RPGs? Want to get immersed in a horror game? Like some MMOs? Then this is what you want to have. Hell go for a 21:9!

You need to figure out what you want to do because the same hardware isn't ideal for everything.

144Hz is for more than just ultra-competitive multiplayer. I would honestly love it for casual gaming. It feels so nice.

Plus, REAL hardcore competition freaks go for the 1080p 240+Hz TN monitors out now.

Reactions: Aix.
like this
144Hz is for more than just ultra-competitive multiplayer. I would honestly love it for casual gaming. It feels so nice.

Plus, REAL hardcore competition freaks go for the 1080p 240+Hz TN monitors out now.

and I can play solitare on a 4k 21:9 ultrawide as well, it's amazing that way

You're viewing this somewhat wrong.

CPUs that are more than four cores: This is useful for people that stream and do other stuff while gaming. While not a large market this does exist.

144hz+ gaming: This is really only important for extremely fast multiplayer e-sports games. In this area those 700+ nsync 1440p monitors are totally counter productive. Not only do those monitors tend to be IPS (which is already going to add 4-10ms of latency delay) gsync and freesync also add latency. Do they look gorgeous, of course, but it's totally counter productive which is why esports players turn off adaptive sync right away. If you get a 1ms TN panel which is what you want at 144hz enabling adaptive sync is adding nasty latency to what was already perfect, just get one without adaptive sync (hell freesync is free now) and at 1080p resolution and it's rather cheap to get into the 144hz+ market.

700 buck plus adaptive sync 2k/4k monitors: Look these are glorious for single player games or non esports games. Do you like yourself some racing sims? Enjoy some single player RPGs? Want to get immersed in a horror game? Like some MMOs? Then this is what you want to have. Hell go for a 21:9!

You need to figure out what you want to do because the same hardware isn't ideal for everything.

Some interesting testing done on g-sync vs v-sync off over at Blur Busters: https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

Unless you're a savant playing CS:GO at 600 FPS I'd guess that 99.9% of people will be just fine playing any sort of game on g-sync. I've really enjoyed my 1080p gaming at 144Hz, although I really do miss the image quality of an IPS panel. Main concerns I have about jumping up to 144Hz are maintaining a high frame rate and not getting a dud monitor after seeing all the trouble some people have had with dead pixels, excessive backlight bleeding, etc. I've almost pulled the trigger a bunch of times only to hold off once more.

It seems you have been spoiled somehow.

To be at the cutting edge you have to pay.

No I get that and can accept that absolutely... but I want $600 video cards back. Heck, remember when we thought that was obscene? ... and my 27" monitor, which is just awesome for what it is, was $150 on sale. Does it really cost $500 more to make it 2K and have a 144Hz refresh rate when that's the standard for PHONES in 2018?

IMO the industry has been sitting on their ass. It's annoying. I'll pay twice as much for a monitor with more features but they're asking 4 times as much, and it doesn't seem manufacturing costs has dick to do with it.

Thanks for letting me rant :)

your prices seem high. bought a dell 27" 144hz gsync for $350 on dell outlet, and a msi 1070 for 270 on ebay. that was a year ago. you dont need a 1080ti to get over 60hz. if your getting about 90 or more fps, you'll notice the smoothness on a 144hz monitor.

No I get that and can accept that absolutely... but I want $600 video cards back. Heck, remember when we thought that was obscene? ... and my 27" monitor, which is just awesome for what it is, was $150 on sale. Does it really cost $500 more to make it 2K and have a 144Hz refresh rate when that's the standard for PHONES in 2018?

IMO the industry has been sitting on their ass. It's annoying. I'll pay twice as much for a monitor with more features but they're asking 4 times as much, and it doesn't seem manufacturing costs has dick to do with it.

Thanks for letting me rant :)

That cheap 150 buck monitor isn't anywhere as a good as a good gaming brand 144hz+ monitor, and it's not just the refresh and res there.

Welcome to Nvidia fucking you over.

I didn't take the bait. Bought a 1440p 32 inch Freesync monitor with a RX 580 I got local at an extreme discount and never looked back. All in all, I spent under 500.

Screw your (not you, in general) GPP & your Gsync.

Last edited:
Back