[rant] Antec Overture sucks a fat one

Davenow

Gawd
So I need this case TODAY to get the wife off my back about the computer junk laying around(building a htpc, waiting on some parts)
So I decide fine, I will go to compussr and pick one up. Its not TOO bad looking, and Antec (usually) builds GREAT cases.
I go, and even though it was listed in stock, its not.
They have one on the shelf, floor model, all scratched up on the sides, I dont care, as it will be in an entertainment center anyway, the front and top are fine.
I get a manager, they agree to sell it for $30 off. Great. He will get someone to get it down and take it to the counter so that they ring it up for the correct price.

10 minutes go by, no manager, no sign of any one doing anything with the case.
(fast forward 15 more min and MUCH frustration and me venting at the manager when I found him sitting in the back)
I get back to work, make 4 trips from accross a LARGE parking lot to build this machine (on company time of course :p ) and it takes me 10 min to round up enough standoffs for the mb, I fight the MB down in (its a VERY tight fit, they should have made the case 1/4 wider front to back) I get the front USB headers on, which for no good reason are all seperate leads, I guess they wanted me to work for it if I want the front usb to work.
I mount the floppy drive in the VERY flimsy slot, after fighting the cover off (pita)

I mount the AGP card first, and immediately see that although there are 2 case sizes in general, half height and full, this case is NEITHER. The video card sticks up 1/4 taller than the sides of the case and I cant put the lid on :mad:
Now I realize that the gigabyte 6800 has those heatpipes and is a bit larger than normal, but NOT BY MUCH. Why in the name of god did the idiot designers not make the case 1/2 taller? it would still be VERY slim. But no, they design a case that if your PCI card sticks out AT ALL beyond the 90 deg bend part, you cannot fit it in this case.
Mind you this ISNT a half height case.

Ok I feel better. :mad: :rolleyes: Thank you for your time and for I am sure laughing at my troubles.

IBSTOPWHINING

not to add to the pain, but I also heard they have poor ventilation. oh, and a 6800 will not fit in my little case either. I am going coolermaster next time. only good sized, reasonably priced HTPC case I have found lately.

kleptophobiac said:
I have a cavalier in silver, it's great!

I use the black cavalier case. Great case for using in a HTPC setup, plenty of room, seems to cool very well too. Not too noisy, however I am tempted to replace the two 60mm fans with some ultra quiet ones, and maybe put in a quieter power supply.

Plus the cavalier will not cost you an arm and a leg like some other HTPC case, mind you those expensive ones are probably really nice.

Love my Coolermaster ATC-620S, although its fairly limited since it only accepts micro atx motherboards. I would have loved to use a NF7-S for my HTPC, but instead im stuck with this biostar junk :(

I just don't use the side 80mm, or the rear 60mm's. Unplugged and removed.

The PSU is very quiet (at least mine is...) and I have a very quiet CPU fan.

The loudest item is my Seagate Barracuda IV hard drive, which I can hear from a maximum of 18" away.

I also built an LED brightness controller, so I could tone down the front searchlight.

Hey don't the coolermaster Cavalier 4's have a proprietary-sized power supply?

I was contemplating getting one, but that may be a deal breaker (unless you can find that macron power supply or a replacement one that fits anywhere.

Anyone know?

Treyshadow said:
Hey don't the coolermaster Cavalier 4's have a proprietary-sized power supply?

I was contemplating getting one, but that may be a deal breaker (unless you can find that macron power supply or a replacement one that fits anywhere.

Anyone know?

You know, I am not sure if they do use a proprietary-sized psu. It looks to be about normal, but it could be of a different size. That would kind of suck. Now I have to check it out more.

edit: Ah crap http://www.hardwarecooling.com/product_info.php/cPath/34_108/products_id/481

They mention it has a proprietary psu, oh well it is a pretty quiet psu. The biggest noise makers in my case are the 60mm fans, I may disable them see how it works.

They released a revised version that can fit a standard PSU, that should be the version that most places carry now. There where reports of the PSU being crap (several died and the only way to replace it was to send it to Coolermaster) so people where getting pissed.

CrimandEvil said:
They released a revised version that can fit a standard PSU, that should be the version that most places carry now. There where reports of the PSU being crap (several died and the only way to replace it was to send it to Coolermaster) so people where getting pissed.
yes, coolermaster has gone to all standard ATX PSU now.

I have an Overture myself. It's not a bad case as far as looks go, but the airflow is total shit. I have an AIW 9800 Pro in it and the case temp sits at about 50c. I reversed the rear fan, took out the HD cage and added 2 PCI slot exhaust coolers. The thing is loud as hell and still hangs at 50c. :rolleyes:

Back