Rant about lack of hard disk progress

On a related note, I do recommend saving a personal copy of any movie or TV show you like, as they are getting deleted or edited on streaming services in order to appease current outrage mobs.

Me and the wife are like this: we seen it once, we don't need to see it again. *shrug*

Me and the wife are like this: we seen it once, we don't need to see it again. *shrug*
Cool.

Might not be worth it to you, but it's very much worth it to me. Especially with streaming services becoming more abundant while stripping their respective content from other streaming services. It's getting to be just like cable. Every TV network or movie studio will have their own $10-15/month streaming service, and none of them will be that good overall because of it.

likeman instead of a hot spare just put it into use anyways, since that spare is running 24/7 as well just not being used. Or just keep it out and replace the drive to avoid the unnecessary wear on the drive. Assuming your server is close by. You can never get away with not having backups...it will bite you in the ass one day, not a matter of if, but when.
the point of hot spare is so it automatically rebuilds and restores the raid6/SHR2 from a degraded state automatically

if you don't need the space then what's the point of using the hot spare to make more space, you want full redundancy restored as soon as possible that's the point of hot spare , if you have a 4 bay nas then i fully agree RAID6/SHR2 all the way with no hot spare as you have very small amount of space if you used a hotspare (as raid 5/SHR1 + hot spare seems pointless as you have no reducanlty while its rebuilding, and should not be using RAID5/SHR1 in 2010 any way especially with shucked non NAS/enterprise HDDS, yes i did put 10 not 20)

if its a dell server normally when the broken disk is replaced it copies the data back from the hot spare slot back to the original slot that had the failed disk (does this without having to use parity so its a direct disk to disk copy), and the disk your originally assigned as hot spare becomes a hot spare again automatically to restore slot order (like 1-5 is raid6 and slot 6 is hot spare, LSI raid cards typicky do this by default, but can be turned off if you don't like this for some reason)
unsure how Synology handles it (probably does not copy the data back so you have to move the label so you know which one is hot spare again) but synology won't automatically use a blank disk for auto rebuild on insert you have to tell it to use the new disk (coming from enterprise to bad it does not have the option for auto rebuild if the disk is blank)

Last edited:
Please post about the supposed problem with the 3.3 V power line and the specific model number of the drive once you have shucked it.

I shucked some drives recently, don't have the model number handy but whitelabel ultrastar Heliums. They wouldn't start with 3.3v from the power supply, but clipping the orange wire fixed that.

I completely agree. So what's the answer? Has storage per platter been increasing?
Seems not much at all.

HAMR and MAMR both promise to greatly increase the storage per platter. With that said I am not sure when either technology will be in consumer devices.

Last edited:
I really don't get why people (especially here) seem to actively seek more data to store. It's some bizarre compulsion. Saying you have "20TB of data stored on your home servers!" is not something that impresses me. It makes me think you are a bit odd.:confused:
Yeah, I'm a bit odd - and I'm fucking happy with it. I'm also not trying to impress YOU.

I want the data on hand and available that I WANT.

WD does it on their small 2.5" portables to make them as physically small as possible.

I opened up the 8TB Black external and it has an Air filled Data Center drive in it,
View attachment 268757
If these are as reliable as the 3 and 4 TB HGST models which shared that case style I’d buy a bunch, those last forever, I’ve got some from 2011?

Ya HAMR and MAMR are the next thing. SSD has come a long way but still cannot touch metal for capacity cost effectiveness.

I remember reading articles 20 years ago that huge hard drives wouldn't ever be needed as optical storage would only get bigger, better, faster, yadda yadda. We know how that worked out. I am shocked BR media is still a thing.

Holographic is probably the next stage after the gains of microwaving metal spinning platters peters out.

And guess what peeps... tape is still a thing, just not for home use. They make tapes (some refer to tapes as "data cartridges" now) in the 10+ TB range now. LTO and IBM.

tape is still a thing

I recently ordered an additional 10 pack of LTO7 tapes at work. I have around 250TB of backups. Yes you can do that with spinners but tape ends being cheaper once you can get over the drive cost.

Honestly, there isn't really a need for most users and SSDs have been making great progress. Pretty soon no consumers will use HDDs outside of backup purposes maybe.

I mean, I built my machine 6 years ago and I went all out for two 4TB drives and they are still not full. Also, most stuff is moving to the cloud, I can install a new OS and have everything set up and working in a few hours.

I do wish hybrid drives took off. They make a lot of sense, and the ones Seagate made did work, but the small cache made them useless outside of booting Windows and maybe a few common apps like web browsers.

the point of hot spare is so it automatically rebuilds and restores the raid6/SHR2 from a degraded state automatically

if you don't need the space then what's the point of using the hot spare to make more space, you want full redundancy restored as soon as possible that's the point of hot spare , if you have a 4 bay nas then i fully agree RAID6/SHR2 all the way with no hot spare as you have very small amount of space if you used a hotspare (as raid 5/SHR1 + hot spare seems pointless as you have no reducanlty while its rebuilding, and should not be using RAID5/SHR1 in 2010 any way especially with shucked non NAS/enterprise HDDS, yes i did put 10 not 20)

if its a dell server normally when the broken disk is replaced it copies the data back from the hot spare slot back to the original slot that had the failed disk (does this without having to use parity so its a direct disk to disk copy), and the disk your originally assigned as hot spare becomes a hot spare again automatically to restore slot order (like 1-5 is raid6 and slot 6 is hot spare, LSI raid cards typicky do this by default, but can be turned off if you don't like this for some reason)
unsure how Synology handles it (probably does not copy the data back so you have to move the label so you know which one is hot spare again) but synology won't automatically use a blank disk for auto rebuild on insert you have to tell it to use the new disk (coming from enterprise to bad it does not have the option for auto rebuild if the disk is blank)
Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the point of running raid6 with a 4-bay? You lose half your disk space, might as well run raid 1+0 at that point and at least get the benefit of increased speeds if you're going to lose 1/2 your capacity anyways. More than 4 disks, raid6 can make more sense, but with only 4 seems like a waste.

Back